VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I need to get a new CPU and mobo this week, but I am on a tight budget. So, I am looking at a low-end Athlon or a high-end Duron. Can anyone enlighten me to the pros & cons of each?

The two that I have found within $4 of each other are:
Athlon TBird 950MHz 200MHz FSB, 256K Cache
Duron 1.3 GHz 200MHz FSB, 192K Cache

Also, any suggestions for a decent low-priced mobo are always welcome. What is the best chipset to look for?

I'm transferring:
192MHz SDRAM
Hercules Prophet II MX 32MB
SB Live!

Thanks in advance for the help.

VSP

<i>Upon the occasion in which the defecation comes into contact with the oscillating ventilator.</i>

FENRlZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
I would recommend the 1,3GHz Duron and a ECS K7S5A mainboard. The Duron is way faster than the Thunderbird, and the K7S5A will let you use the SD-RAM and also give you the option to upgrade to DDR later on.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I'd go with the Athlon over the Duron. However, if you can afford an extra 20-30, you could get an Athlon XP 1600+ instead and get much better performance.

As for a montherboard, you should look for one that has SDR and DDR support (ALi made a chipset that did that, as I believe SiS did too).

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

FatBurger

Illustrious
Pretty much all DDR chipsets support SDRAM as well, it's up to the motherboard to do it.

The Duron and ECS K7S5A is your best bet.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
The Duron has the newer Morgan core which makes up for the lower L2 cache.

Go with the Duron

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thank you all for your input. Based on information from here as well as other sources, I decided to to go for the Duron 1.2GHz, based on performance to price value. I also decided to dump the SDRAM for DDR.

Thanks again.

VSP

<i>Upon the occasion in which the defecation comes into contact with the oscillating ventilator.</i>