AMD Opteron Off to Slow Start?

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Hey guys found this link.

<A HREF="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,101483,00.asp" target="_new">PCWorld.com</A>

I don't know why the title of the article focus on the clock speed and not the actual achivement that AMD will demonstrate 4-way Opteron at the Computex 2002.

KG

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kemche on 05/28/02 05:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
No one can tell for sure. As far as all the signs look it's only lagging in Frequency. We still don't know how stable the platform is and any other information. I think it will get delayed to next year. If not then they will sure strip out some feature like smaller cache etc.

KG

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
there is almost NO info floating around about Opteron performance. So i couldnt tell ya. the CH is doing fairly well now, so it would surprise me it Opteron was doing crappy. Its real similar core to CH, but with support for 4-8 way comm, which shouldnt effect speed.. it strikes me as one of those things that either works or it doesnt.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.