Difference between XP and MP

obsolete233

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Is the Athalon MP a "better" chip than an XP? If I understand right the only real difference is that the MP has an unlocked multiplier and "official" support for use in multiple processor systems. Or is the MP a higher quality chip sold at lower "official" speeds? example: XP2100+ and MP2000+ the same chip with different markings and factory unlocked multiplier? (with premium price tag of course)
Are there any real differences?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the MP has been certified to work properly in MP systems. the XP has not.
sure 2 XP's may work, but there are no guarantees, and i believe that some XP's have a cut bridge preventing their use in MP systems.

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
also too, you forgot to mention, xp chips can only be run on windowsXP. where as mp chips can be run on just about any OS.

[insert philosophical statement here]

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
it's late so forgive this if I'm missing sarcasm, but are you seriously claiming that? I've gotten red hat and 2000 both to work on my XP chip.

MStakem

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's the myth AMD and Microsoft want you to believe. Microsoft: "You have to use XP". AMD: "This processor is THE ONE for XP performance". Isn't marketing great!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you must have got an mp chip in xp packaging or something. if you run any other OS other than winXP on an xp chip you run the risk of frying it. winXP was written to take advantage of certain features/functions of the xp chip. if it trys to execute code that's not properly written for it. it will malfunction, thus locking itself into an endless loop and overheating.

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
It posts as a 2000+ XP, it's not an MP

I don't think the 2000+ MP even existed in retail channels when I got this chip. (yeah yeah stupid me I should've waited and paid less)

the letters XP is just for marketing.

MStakem

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
you got me seriously laughing here no offense. the chip posts as an athlon xp. it's an athlon xp. it has run red hat and windows 2000 successfully. it supports windows XP, it supports windows 2000, it supports red hat. I would bet 10 trillion dollars it supports windows 95. it certainly supports windows xp inclusively along with other operating systems.

Do you honestly think that a chip maker would make a chip for retail distribution with absolutely no support for older operating systems whatsoever?

MStakem

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
I ran windows ME just fine on my processor (XP 1900+) Someone is miss leading you if you believe that the XP only works with win XP

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
for MS, yes! half of the motherboards out there show mp chips as xp chips. this has no bearing on the functionality of the chip itself. if you're running ANY OS other than winXP you obviously have an mp chip.

tfboy

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2001
Well, mbetea, it's hard to resist joining in the fun, and I could get a screenshot, like all the other 100000's of AMD XP cpus running 2000, Me, 98, Linux or other cpu with an uptime of a couple of days to show that it doesn't fry your cpu.

But I'm curious: where the hell did you get that info from? After all, you can't blame a little stubborn kiddie for wrong info if the parents are plonkers, now, can you? :p

Please for the love of god it's spelled athlon and pronounced eth'lon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 05/29/02 12:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

"if you're running ANY OS other than winXP you obviously have an mp chip."

that has to be the dumbest statement i've ever read.
hmm either you had a brain fart or just plain stupid. Maybe your pullen the guys chain...

look the "XP" in windows and the ATHLON is just a marketing scheme.

Thats all the ATHLON XP cpu is is like a motor. It does a lot of work for you. Every single processor from intel and AMD are based on a "motor" or architecture. This architecture is called the x86. Think of it as a x86 motor. But with that motor they add a bunch of fancy things to make it run better and faster. Thats where you get the different generations. They add fancy things to make it run faster and better. Like an air coolent to cool the motor down etc etc etc...

SO! In Conclusion ALL of Intels' chips and AMDs' chips ARE infact THE SAME! Not a copy but the same architecture wise.

They ALL consist of this same "motor" or architecture called the x86. EVERY SINGLE PEICE OF SOFTWARE BASED FOR THE PC IS PROGRAMED AND COMPILED UNDER X86 INSTRUCTIONS. Therefor ALL software and system software (OS or windows) works on ANY chip from AMD and Intel! How fast it is is irrelivant in this argument.

got it? good!

By the way! MP stands for Multi Processing. Thats the difference! MP is for multi processing servers and XP is for normal desktops. Like the Intel Xeon and Pentium 4 respectivly.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
No, I think he's right. My cousin heard this story at a campfire from a friend of a friend. This dude in Wyoming was running XP Pro fine and dandy with his XP 2100. Then, one day (for no known reason!) he installed 98. At first, everything was fine. Then, SUDDENLY, his PC exploded and burnt 87.4% of his body. The XP2100 actually fused to his left eye socket and to this day people still see him late at night, lamenting his greivous mistake...

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
I just tried installing osX on my athlon XP chip and it didn't work. My chip exploded...took out half the room when it went. I'm lucky to be alive.

MStakem

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
:paranoid Conspiracy theorist mode 'on':

The Athlon XP has actually existed for over 50 years. They used an AXP running MS-DOS 6.22 to generate enough heat to start a fusion reaction for the first secret H-Bomb tests, before someone realised they could use a regular nuke instead. It's all been covered up by majestic 12 or something. It's only recently that AMD could sell them because M$ brought out Windows XP due to a secret deal to use up the (now useless) H-BOMB detonators.

:(very silly) Paranoid Conspiracy Theorist mode 'off':

I know, it's ridiculous... but it's been a long day at work.

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
roflmao!! guys, it's not like i killed your cat or sleeping with your women, sheesh. hilarious how worked up you guys are getting. thanks.