Hard drive untitled partition

jamesalexander

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello,
there is a small untitled partition on my harddrive which appears to have some operating system files but no windows directory. the windows operating system is still on the c: drive as usual. I notice that my laptop which has VISTA also this little untitled drive with some files on it. Can you tell me what partition is and can I delete it and put the files there on my c: drive.

jamesalexander

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Looks like I may have found an explanation elsewhere. This little partition may be what is known as an "EISA" configuration. On the VISTA laptop, I can see it but not access it to see what files are on it. On my desktop with the Windows 7, it is showing up as my C: drive with no files on it. My real C: drive is showing up as N: drive. I know it is the real C: drive because I had labelled it as Volume "System". The problem may be that booting up for some reason, the computer is looking to the EISA drive as the C; drive and can't find my system files because they are showing up as on a N: drive. Any suggestions as to how I can remedy this would be greatly appreciated.

jamesalexander

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Thank you sir. You were sooo right. Before getting your post I did attempt to put some of the system files from my N; drive (really my C: drive) onto the little partition which somehow got labelled C: and like you said, my system is now unbootable. I guess that's why the partition is supposed to be without a Volume label, so it won't be touched. Still, it'd be nice if HP actually advised about this issue somewhere in its documentation.

Thanks for responding.

TRENDING THREADS