Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive untitled partition

Last response: in Windows 7
March 2, 2013 12:57:35 AM

Hello,
there is a small untitled partition on my harddrive which appears to have some operating system files but no windows directory. the windows operating system is still on the c: drive as usual. I notice that my laptop which has VISTA also this little untitled drive with some files on it. Can you tell me what partition is and can I delete it and put the files there on my c: drive.
March 2, 2013 1:54:48 PM

Looks like I may have found an explanation elsewhere. This little partition may be what is known as an "EISA" configuration. On the VISTA laptop, I can see it but not access it to see what files are on it. On my desktop with the Windows 7, it is showing up as my C: drive with no files on it. My real C: drive is showing up as N: drive. I know it is the real C: drive because I had labelled it as Volume "System". The problem may be that booting up for some reason, the computer is looking to the EISA drive as the C; drive and can't find my system files because they are showing up as on a N: drive. Any suggestions as to how I can remedy this would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2013 2:23:31 PM

If it's roughly 100MB in size then it's the repair console/bitlocker volume. DO NOT touch it (delete it and you will render your system unbootable). It may also be the factory restore volume. In either case just leave it alone.
m
l
March 4, 2013 7:56:19 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
If it's roughly 100MB in size then it's the repair console/bitlocker volume. DO NOT touch it (delete it and you will render your system unbootable). It may also be the factory restore volume. In either case just leave it alone.

Thank you sir. You were sooo right. Before getting your post I did attempt to put some of the system files from my N; drive (really my C: drive) onto the little partition which somehow got labelled C: and like you said, my system is now unbootable. I guess that's why the partition is supposed to be without a Volume label, so it won't be touched. Still, it'd be nice if HP actually advised about this issue somewhere in its documentation.

Thanks for responding.
m
l
!