Microsoft Announces SP2 RC for Vista, Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Do they plan on fixing Windows Media Player, Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, and all of their other programs like that from eventually becoming fucked up and then you have to reinstall Vista to get them to work again?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Added registry key that enables modification of the maximum number of open TCP connections to increase application compatibility."

Awesome news for anyone who uses torrents. This means that I dont have to keep disabling the unsigned driver protection every time from my modded TCPIP.sys file. :D

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I hope they fix the searching for new wireless connections every 60 seconds "bug". I hate having to use another program (Vista Anti-Lag) just so I can play online games properly.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I wish to god they'd provide an option to turn off the supposedly "helpful" automatic folder view mode changing in windows Explorer. It infuriates me to open a directory full of files and have Windows decide that it should be displayed as a music list, or a screen full of thumbnails, or whatever it decides is best.

What's even worse is that it can never make up its mind. it changes randomly. I can open the same folder twice and it will be displayed two different ways.

Thumbnail mode is worthless, because I keep the icon preview option turned off in order to avoid wasting time with it trying to create thumbnails in list mode. I wish it were smart enough to only pre-cache things in thumbnail mode.

Honestly, the uselessly buggy Explorer is one of my biggest complaints about Vista, which otherwise seems decent for the most part.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
On my Pc vista doesn't show the thumbnails, so I have no clue what the files are, pictures included. I had to add registry settings to make it work, also there is a problem, say I click on a TEXT or html file and it previews in the preview pane. Well if I open up that file and edit it and saving it, then it says it cant as the file is in use. Well somehow the preview pane openes up the file for read/write access, meaning if there is any process trying to write to the file it can't. this drives me nuts, as once I click on a file and it previews, i choose open/edit, application pops up, but before I can save the file, I need to click back on the window with the preview pane, and make sure I click off the file, so now the file can be saved. Same happens with word files.

Ya that buggs way explorer decides to display a folder sucks, some times, when in a folder it shows 'Ratings' and 'size' treating my files as music, and fails to show date modified and the useful info I need. I have to modify the folder options to fix it.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
"including one free daughter OS with Windows Server 2008 Standard, four free licenses with Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, and an unlimited number of free licenses with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter."

Anyone tell me what this actually means and how it works.

The way i read it, i can purchase one copy of Server 2008 Standard, then run that same license in Hyper-V on the host without additional cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.