Pent.3 1.0
256 ram
Windows ME

To
Pent 4 2.0a
Intel MVL2
512 MB RDRAM
Windows XP Home

Now we are going to do a clean install and wipe the HD clean so there is less chance of problems.

My question is this

Can I save things like patches I have downloaded or other zip files to a disk so I can re install them on the new setup without having to download them again. Or do I need to RE download everything?

Thank you for any help.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You should be able to, with a couple of exceptions:

a) some patches/drivers might have been for Windows ME only - These won't work with XP.

b)Any programs on which you used an 'Auto Update' type feature will probably not have stored the actual patch they downloaded anywhere, or at least it would be a ah heck to find.

Of Course you'll need a sizeable media to stick them all on. If you don't have a CD writer, you may have problems. You might be able to borrow an external ZIP drive from someone if you know anyone with one of those.

Good to hear you're replacing Windows ME. It's like all the worst features of 2000 and 98 put together. Can't stand that OS.

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

G

LOL,

THanks for the help. I will probably just re download most if not all of them just to be sure. I want windowsME gone.

Im getting the new mother board thats coming out next week. Intel MVL2 (USB 2.0/533Mhz Capable)

Cant wait to see what this does for me. My system runs fine right now but just looking for a tad more. :)

ALso WindowsME is a HOG. Man it takes up alot of memory. Hope XP is better.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
"ALso WindowsME is a HOG. Man it takes up alot of memory. Hope XP is better."
-LOL. Make sure you get the 512...you're gonna NEED it.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
If nothing else then you can rar up ALL the stuff you want to save and tell winrar to pack them into 1.4Mb files, that way you save everything at once and it will fit on floppy. You might end up with a hundred files at the end (depends on the ammount you want to save) so if you have a dsl or better connection you're better off re-downloading them or most.

Also what dude said, patches for ME might not be the same for XP so you might end up working your tail off for nothing.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>