Chameleons caster level?

Hi,

I'm about to take a level of Chameleon (Races of Destiny p111) on a
rogue and I don't seem to find what caster level this class get. Anyone
who knows?

Robert Karlsson Svärd

Robert Karlsson Svärd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to take a level of Chameleon (Races of Destiny p111) on a
> rogue and I don't seem to find what caster level this class get. Anyone
> who knows?

If you're in Arcane Focus or Divine Focus, your caster level is twice
your chameleon level. If you take one level of chameleon, your caster
level will be 2 when you're in Arcane or Divine Focus.

When you're in Combat, Stealth, or Wild focus, your Chameleon levels
give you no caster level at all.

Laszlo

Robert Karlsson Svärd wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Robert Karlsson Svärd wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm about to take a level of Chameleon (Races of Destiny p111) on a
> >>rogue and I don't seem to find what caster level this class get. Anyone
> >>who knows?
> >

> > If you're in Arcane Focus or Divine Focus, your caster level is twice
> > your chameleon level. If you take one level of chameleon, your caster
> > level will be 2 when you're in Arcane or Divine Focus.
> >
> > When you're in Combat, Stealth, or Wild focus, your Chameleon levels
> > give you no caster level at all.
>
> Thx for the answer but I'm still confused: a lvl 1 chameleon could, as
> caster level 2, cast 2nd lvl spells if she/he had a high enough INT or
> WIS. How is this resolved? Is the spell just less efficient or what?

That's an excellent question. I don't know of any official rulings for
this.

I'd say to just ignore the problem, and allow a first-level Chameleon
to cast second level spells with a CL of 2.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Robert Karlsson Svärd wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm about to take a level of Chameleon (Races of Destiny p111) on a
>>rogue and I don't seem to find what caster level this class get. Anyone
>>who knows?
>

> If you're in Arcane Focus or Divine Focus, your caster level is twice
> your chameleon level. If you take one level of chameleon, your caster
> level will be 2 when you're in Arcane or Divine Focus.
>
> When you're in Combat, Stealth, or Wild focus, your Chameleon levels
> give you no caster level at all.
>
> Laszlo

Thx for the answer but I'm still confused: a lvl 1 chameleon could, as
caster level 2, cast 2nd lvl spells if she/he had a high enough INT or
WIS. How is this resolved? Is the spell just less efficient or what?

Robert Karlsson Svärd

"Robert Karlsson Svärd" wrote
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> >>I'm about to take a level of Chameleon (Races of Destiny p111) on a
> >>rogue and I don't seem to find what caster level this class get. Anyone
> >>who knows?
> >
> > If you're in Arcane Focus or Divine Focus, your caster level is twice
> > your chameleon level. If you take one level of chameleon, your caster
> > level will be 2 when you're in Arcane or Divine Focus.
> Thx for the answer but I'm still confused: a lvl 1 chameleon could, as
> caster level 2, cast 2nd lvl spells if she/he had a high enough INT or
> WIS. How is this resolved? Is the spell just less efficient or what?

You don't use the Chameleon level 2 spellcaster line, you use the level 1
spellcaster line, it's just that computations on the spells' range,
duration, damage, etc., are figured as if you were caster level 2.

Let's say you're level 1 and you took Arcane Focus for a day. We'll give you
an Int of 14. According to the spell line for a level 1 Chameleon, you get 4
zero-level spells, 2 first-level spells, and 0 second-level spells.

But you get bonus spells for your Int of 14, so you get +1 first-level spell
and +1 second-level spell.

Your total spells cast for this day is 4 zero-level, 3 first-level, and 1
second-level spells. Your caster level for all these spells is 2. Caster
level in this case doesn't mean spells-per-day or Spells-known. It only
affects the variables involved in the casting of spells. For example, if you
took Bull's Strength as your 2nd level arcane spell, it would last for 2
minutes, because it lasts one round per (caster) level.

That clear it up?

"Chris Dudley" <eolas@prodigy.net> wrote
> For example, if you
> took Bull's Strength as your 2nd level arcane spell, it would last for 2
> minutes, because it lasts one round per (caster) level.

I mean it lasts one MINUTE per (caster) level.

Surprised nobody jumped on that.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:38:39 GMT, "Chris Dudley" <eolas@prodigy.net>
scribed into the ether:

>"Chris Dudley" <eolas@prodigy.net> wrote
>> For example, if you
>> took Bull's Strength as your 2nd level arcane spell, it would last for 2
>> minutes, because it lasts one round per (caster) level.
>
>I mean it lasts one MINUTE per (caster) level.
>
>Surprised nobody jumped on that.

We all are locked in 1E thinking, where a round was a full minute.