Grapple Question

Grapple or Scrapple?

OR...

"They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
"They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."

But seriously, folks...

When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
grappling? For example, a troll grapples a human fighter. On the round
that it grapples, does it get to attack with its other claw and its
bite? What about the round after? Does it select one and only one
natural attack to attack with, or can it rend and chew on the hapless
grappled fighter?

The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
to pin its opponent. Is this true?

It seems to me that in most cases, creatures with improved grab are
fools if they actually use the ability in combat. The otyugh, for
example, reduces its attack routine to 1 attack against an opponent,
loses dex bonus to AC, and opens itself up to sneak attacks while losing
its threatened area. What a waste, unless it has found a lone morsel
who might otherwise try to run away from it.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Grapple or Scrapple?
>
> OR...
>
> "They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
> "They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
>
> But seriously, folks...
>
> When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
> attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
> get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
> grappling? For example, a troll grapples a human fighter. On the round
> that it grapples, does it get to attack with its other claw and its
> bite? What about the round after? Does it select one and only one
> natural attack to attack with, or can it rend and chew on the hapless
> grappled fighter?
>
> The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
> attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
> to pin its opponent. Is this true?

The grappling rules are a chaotic mess. Luckily, this question was
addressed by the Sage in Rules of the Game. He gave two possible ways
to rule this. Both are quite good.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050322a

Laszlo

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
> > attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
> > to pin its opponent. Is this true?
>
> What "reading" is that, you illiterate fool?

If we assume a basic +4 BAB troll, then his reading (for this
particular situation) happens to be perfectly consistent with the
Sage's second suggested method, in Rules of the Game.

Laszlo

"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
> When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
> attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
> get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
> grappling?

Why would you think this? Does a human lose all of his attacks when he
grapples? Does a human lose *any*?

> For example, a troll grapples a human fighter. On the round
> that it grapples, does it get to attack with its other claw and its
> bite?

Do, or do not, the grapple rules include, under the heading "while you
are grappling",the words ATTACK YOUR OPPONENT?

>What about the round after? Does it select one and only one
> natural attack to attack with, or can it rend and chew on the hapless
> grappled fighter?

The troll has the fighter held until the fighter escapes. Presumably,
the troll used at least one attack establishing the grapple (no touch
attack, no grapple..), so it has lets of its natural weapons available to
"attack your opponent" thereafter, but on the *next round* the troll could
in fact open fire with all of its natural attacks, as usual. *Or* burn some
of them on pins or other fancy maneuvers.

> The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
> attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
> to pin its opponent. Is this true?

What "reading" is that, you illiterate fool?

-Michael

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:40:59 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
> The other claw seems unlikely but grab and bite makes sense to me.

Thus impugning the worth of your advice. Kudos!

-Michael

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
>
>>>The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
>>>attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
>>>to pin its opponent. Is this true?
>>
>> What "reading" is that, you illiterate fool?
>

> If we assume a basic +4 BAB troll, then his reading (for this
> particular situation) happens to be perfectly consistent with the
> Sage's second suggested method, in Rules of the Game.

I think Mikey needs to learn to RTFM. :^)

- Ron ^*^

:
: Why would you think this? Does a human lose all of his attacks when he
:grapples? Does a human lose *any*?

Actually, yes. "You can't attack with two
weapons while grappling, even if both are light
weapons". So a grappler who ordinarilly fights with
two shortswords could only attack with one of them.
He would get iterative attacks. If a creature with
multiple natural attacks starts a grapple, it is thereafter
grappling, and can only attack with one natural attack.

--
"Intelligence is too complex to capture in a single number." -Alfred Binet

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

George W Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 05:01:49 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
> <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> :"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
> :news:1zhve.141257$sy6.44960@lakeread04...
> :> When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
> :> attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
> :> get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
> :> grappling?
> :
> : Why would you think this? Does a human lose all of his attacks when he
> :grapples? Does a human lose *any*?
>
> Actually, yes. "You can't attack with two
> weapons while grappling, even if both are light
> weapons". So a grappler who ordinarilly fights with
> two shortswords could only attack with one of them.
> He would get iterative attacks. If a creature with
> multiple natural attacks starts a grapple, it is thereafter
> grappling, and can only attack with one natural attack.

Which is silly. If a troll grapples me, why can't it sink its claws
into my flesh as it grapples, and snap its teeth at me?

If what you write above it true, it means that a man with a dagger
fighting a tiger is best off grappling the tiger (or willingly being
grappled BY the tiger). That's just foolish.

- Ron ^*^

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > > The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
> > > attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it
manages
> > > to pin its opponent. Is this true?
> >
> > What "reading" is that, you illiterate fool?
>
> If we assume a basic +4 BAB troll, then his reading (for this
> particular situation) happens to be perfectly consistent with the
> Sage's second suggested method, in Rules of the Game.

Untrue. You are now also added to the list of the illiterate.

-Michael

> George W Harris wrote:
> Which is silly. If a troll grapples me, why can't it sink its claws
> into my flesh as it grapples, and snap its teeth at me?
> If what you write above it true, it means that a man with a dagger
> fighting a tiger is best off grappling the tiger (or willingly being
> grappled BY the tiger). That's just foolish.

Mr. Harris knows not of what he speaks. Grappling works for monsters
just like any other form of combat does for them: take a Full Attack action,
and use those attacks to EITHER {pin, damage your opponent, attack your
opponent, {or other fancy things}} - or take a Standard action and use one
limb to do one thing, of course. Just like always, the same limb can't be
used twice. Just like always, many of the limbs will more than likely
simply attack (at -4), unless a strong creature has something armored in its
grip and would be better off "manipulating" it (ie; damage your opponent,
which does damage through mechanisms that involve a contest of strength and
combat skill).

-Michael

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> manages
> > >
> > > What "reading" is that, you illiterate fool?
> >
> > If we assume a basic +4 BAB troll, then his reading (for this
> > particular situation) happens to be perfectly consistent with the
> > Sage's second suggested method, in Rules of the Game.
>
> Untrue.

Depends. It's correct if we're talking about grapple attacks (opposed
grapple check actions).

If Ron was asking about the "attack your opponent" option, then yes,
he's definitely wrong.

Laszlo

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:30:47 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Mr. Harris knows not of what he speaks. Grappling works for monsters
:just like any other form of combat does for them: take a Full Attack action,
:and use those attacks to EITHER {pin, damage your opponent, attack your
:eek:pponent, {or other fancy things}} - or take a Standard action and use one
:limb to do one thing, of course.

So in your view what is the meaning of the
sentence "You can't attack with two weapons while
grapping, even if both are light weapons"? You
apparently think it has no applicability to natural
attacks. What in the rules supports this interpretation?

--
"It is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a
democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist

"George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:30:47 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
> So in your view what is the meaning of the
> sentence "You can't attack with two weapons while
> grapping, even if both are light weapons"? You
> apparently think it has no applicability to natural
> attacks. What in the rules supports this interpretation?

The part where "attack with two weapons" is a specific reference two two
weapons fighting and the rules make no sense whatsoever when interpreted any
other way (note that 3.5E uses light weapon & natural weapon separately, so
the light-weapon comment is highly contextual).
A variety of thought experiments reinforce this proposition. For
instance, it is absurd to suggest that a character holding a dagger and
wearing spiked armor cannot use each one in turn for iterative attacks just
because he is grappled, and we can upgrade the level of absurdity
arbitrarily if we start thinking about how unarmed strikes are represented.
Meanwhile, we observe that the highly intricate fighting style required to
make use of two weapons _together_ to a degree that would warrant a bonus
attack in D&D ... is *utterly* incompatible with being entangled and
fighting for the freedom to strike at all.
Further the *players* handbook is written entirely from the perspective
that those making use of those rules are humanoid PCs as per the race
descriptions in the first chapters - the ways that monsters fight
(primary/secondary weaponry) is not even described in the PhB (IIRC)- which
means that many restrictions on 'weapons' are often confined to
*manufactured* weapons and their equivalents. In addition, many monsters in
the monster manual have more than one natural weapon with the improved grab
capability, which produces some rather ludicrous results if such a "one at
at ime" rule is applied to them.
And on top of all *that*, the Sage has answered these questions in Sage
Advice (which are in the FAQ, IIRC), and WOTC maintains ARTICLES on this
topic on their website, all of which reflect the things I have related on
this thread.

In short, the issue is settled, has been for years, and you would do
well to visit some of those resources and upgrade your understanding.

-Michael

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:20:38 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
> : Suggesting that capitalization is *intended* to be convincing is a
> :STRAWMAN, you logic-abusing cur.
>
> Since the only text of yours was unsupported
> assertions and insults, it's a reasonable inference.

Not in the least, you ignorant FOOL. Further, you would do well to
refrain from making appeals to "reasonable" until such time as you
demonstrate at least some familiarity with the concepts of reason. Your ...
"arguments" ... thus far indicate that you lack the facility entire, given
that you have tried to "win" a discussing by repeating a quote from the
rules that means something entirely other than you think it does.

> Complaining about people not reading the rules and
> then failing to cite any rules that support your position
> is the epitome of argument by excessive capitalization.

Horseshit. This might come as a shock, Johnny-Come-Lately, but the issue
you are so impotently attempting to discuss is old, stale, and quite
settled. There is no need to re-prove the arguments again, they are *done*,
and thus my statements on the topic are not "argument" or "conjecture" but
references to FACTS.

Here's a free hint. Get smarter. *Now*.

-Michael

Michael Scott Brown wrote:

> "George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:20:38 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
>>: Suggesting that capitalization is *intended* to be convincing is a
>>:STRAWMAN, you logic-abusing cur.
>>
>>Since the only text of yours was unsupported
>>assertions and insults, it's a reasonable inference.
>

> Not in the least, you ignorant FOOL.

Profion?

- Ron ^*^

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:18:19 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

:"George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message
:news:iqmub1d72hshfmqd9llb3bkr389kkc33n4@4ax.com...
:> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:30:47 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
:> So in your view what is the meaning of the
:> sentence "You can't attack with two weapons while
:> grapping, even if both are light weapons"? You
:> apparently think it has no applicability to natural
:> attacks. What in the rules supports this interpretation?
:
: The part where "attack with two weapons" is a specific reference two two
:weapons fighting and the rules make no sense whatsoever when interpreted any
:eek:ther way (note that 3.5E uses light weapon & natural weapon separately, so
:the light-weapon comment is highly contextual).

But hardly definitive.

: A variety of thought experiments reinforce this proposition. For
:instance, it is absurd to suggest that a character holding a dagger and
:wearing spiked armor cannot use each one in turn for iterative attacks just
:because he is grappled,

Why is that absurd? What completely
unreasonable situations result if we make that
interpretation? Try to answer with logic rather than
insults and shouting.

: Further the *players* handbook is written entirely from the perspective
:that those making use of those rules are humanoid PCs as per the race
:descriptions in the first chapters - the ways that monsters fight
:(primary/secondary weaponry) is not even described in the PhB (IIRC)- which
:means that many restrictions on 'weapons' are often confined to
:*manufactured* weapons and their equivalents.

Such restrictions aren't made in the section
on grappling, however. There isn't a separate index
entry for grappling in the DMG, and a quick perusal
doesn't find anything, so given the lack of an explicit
"monsters do things differently" the inference that they
do things the same is perfectly reasonable.

:In addition, many monsters in
:the monster manual have more than one natural weapon with the improved grab
:capability, which produces some rather ludicrous results if such a "one at
:at ime" rule is applied to them.

What about the rule would produce ludicrous
results? Use the Mind-Flayer for an example. Why
would the situation be completely unreasonable? Again,
eschew shouting and insults.

: And on top of all *that*, the Sage has answered these questions in Sage
:Advice (which are in the FAQ, IIRC), and WOTC maintains ARTICLES on this
:topic on their website, all of which reflect the things I have related on
:this thread.

You might want to follow your advice and
actually read the material you cite. It presents two
monster gets a single attack plus one additional attack
for each 5 points of BAB (so that if a creatures BAB is
less than (5*(# of attacks))-4, it *would* lose attacks).
It also doesn't give a preference between the two.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050322a

:: In short, the issue is settled, has been for years, and you would do
:well to visit some of those resources and upgrade your understanding.

Right back atcha.
:
:-Michael

--
"The truths of mathematics describe a bright and clear universe,
exquisite and beautiful in its structure, in comparison with

-Eulogy for G.H.Hardy

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:18:19 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
> : The part where "attack with two weapons" is a specific reference two
two
> :weapons fighting and the rules make no sense whatsoever when interpreted
any
> :eek:ther way (note that 3.5E uses light weapon & natural weapon separately,
so
> :the light-weapon comment is highly contextual).
>
> But hardly definitive.

Yes, definitive. It wouldn't say "even if light weapons" unless it was
referring to TWF, because that's the only place such a rule might possibly
be relevant.

> : A variety of thought experiments reinforce this proposition. For
> :instance, it is absurd to suggest that a character holding a dagger and
> :wearing spiked armor cannot use each one in turn for iterative attacks
just
> :because he is grappled,
>
> Why is that absurd? What completely unreasonable situations result if we
make that
> interpretation?

The unarmed combat model D&D uses doesn't slave an unarmed strike to
any particular limb. So one unarmed strike could be an elbow, another could
be a knee, etc. Armor spikes are attached to all your limbs as well, so
using them for a normal attack is simply a case of throwing an elbow or a
knee - or a fist, since spikes can be on the gauntlets, too. It is
ludicrous to suggest that one cannot perform a knee strike while grappling
save by sacrificing any hope of attacking with your hands - particularly
when heroes can be so good at fighting in general that when grappled they
could make upwards of *four* such attacks in six seconds. Grappling
obviously doesn't hinder them that much.

> : Further the *players* handbook is written entirely from the
perspective
> :that those making use of those rules are humanoid PCs as per the race
> :descriptions in the first chapters - the ways that monsters fight
> :(primary/secondary weaponry) is not even described in the PhB (IIRC)- whi
ch
> :means that many restrictions on 'weapons' are often confined to
> :*manufactured* weapons and their equivalents.
>
> Such restrictions aren't made in the section on grappling, however.

Ahem. It annoys me when people don't pay attention to important
arguments. The *PLAYERS* handbook is written ENTIRELY from the perspective
that those making use of the rules are humanoid PCs (of small and medium
size, for that matter). There isn't a comment in the entire book on the
topic of how monsters are different, or what "restrictions" are or are not
being used in "this section" that might be relevant to a primary/secondary
weapons user. Consequently, the fact that no restrictions are made in the
grappling section is IRRELEVANT. You have not made an argument by
mentioning this. The grappling section is written in terms of iterative
attacks. Non-humanoid monsters *don't use* iterative attacks. That is, as
far as the matter of blindly applying the PhB rules to natural weapons as
well as manufactured ones is concerned, the closing of the case.
This leaves something of a void, which annoyed us greatly when the
edition was published, which was filled Officially (tm) by the Sage, who
proposed that monsters use the rules as-is but replacing iterative attack
with their suite of natural weapons.

> :In addition, many monsters in
> :the monster manual have more than one natural weapon with the improved
grab
> :capability, which produces some rather ludicrous results if such a "one
at
> :at ime" rule is applied to them.
>
> What about the rule would produce ludicrous
> results? Use the Mind-Flayer for an example. Why
> would the situation be completely unreasonable? Again,
> eschew shouting and insults.

I find it somewhat distressing that you cannot grasp that allowing a
mind flayer to attack a person only with ONE TENTACLE out of the four
co-located ones dangling from its mouth is ludicrous.

> You might want to follow your advice and
> actually read the material you cite. It presents two
> monster gets a single attack plus one additional attack
> for each 5 points of BAB (so that if a creatures BAB is
> less than (5*(# of attacks))-4, it *would* lose attacks).
> It also doesn't give a preference between the two.

Again, we see your IGNORANCE interfering with your ability to make
intelligent comments. In the iterative attack option he provides (a new
addition that came with the aticle), *HE STILL ASSIGNS EACH ITERATIVE ATTACK
TO A NATURAL WEAPON*, and goes on to suggest that if the creature runs out
of natural weapons before it runs out of iterative attacks then its
remaining 'iterative' grappling actions can only do bland "unarmed strike"
damage. This option also doesn't eliminate the ability of the monster to
simply full attack (at -4) normally; this modification is for the purposes
of playing games with maneuvers requiring grapple checks.
Consequently, in *all* the options on the website, there is NO
RESTRICTION on attacking with more than one of the monster's natural weapons
during the grapple.
Which means, as I told you in the first place, that the passage about
"can't attack with two weapons" is NOT A RESTRICTION ON NATURAL WEAPONS USE,
and that the issue has been OFFICIALLY SETTLED.

You are not making a good impression, Harris. Again, I suggest that you
get smarter. *NOW*.

-Michael

Mere moments before death, Michael Scott Brown hastily scrawled:
>"George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:18:19 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
>> : The part where "attack with two weapons" is a specific reference two
>two
>> :weapons fighting and the rules make no sense whatsoever when interpreted
>any
>> :eek:ther way (note that 3.5E uses light weapon & natural weapon separately,
>so
>> :the light-weapon comment is highly contextual).
>>
>> But hardly definitive.
>
> Yes, definitive. It wouldn't say "even if light weapons" unless it was
>referring to TWF, because that's the only place such a rule might possibly
>be relevant.

It wouldn't have anything at all to do with the fact that you're
allowed to use light weapons to attack your opponent while engaged in
a grapple, now would it?

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > > If we assume a basic +4 BAB troll, then his reading (for this
> > > particular situation) happens to be perfectly consistent with the
> > > Sage's second suggested method, in Rules of the Game.
> >
> > Untrue.
>
> Depends. It's correct if we're talking about grapple attacks (opposed
> grapple check actions).

Which we are not. There is no "if", therefore.

-Michael

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:38:31 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

:"George W Harris" <gharrus@mundsprung.com> wrote in message
:news:pvvub1t221k6umupde13anq2j8u3lk264p@4ax.com...
:> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 03:18:19 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
:> : The part where "attack with two weapons" is a specific reference two
:two
:> :weapons fighting and the rules make no sense whatsoever when interpreted
:any
:> :eek:ther way (note that 3.5E uses light weapon & natural weapon separately,
:so
:> :the light-weapon comment is highly contextual).
:>
:> But hardly definitive.
:
: Yes, definitive. It wouldn't say "even if light weapons" unless it was
:referring to TWF, because that's the only place such a rule might possibly
:be relevant.

So, what kind of weapons are you restricted to
using while grappling? Would they be *light* weapons,
hmmmm? Moron.
:
:> Why is that absurd? What completely unreasonable situations result if we
:make that
:> interpretation?
:
: The unarmed combat model D&D uses doesn't slave an unarmed strike to
:any particular limb.
:So one unarmed strike could be an elbow, another could
:be a knee, etc. Armor spikes are attached to all your limbs as well, so
:using them for a normal attack is simply a case of throwing an elbow or a
:knee - or a fist, since spikes can be on the gauntlets, too. It is
:ludicrous to suggest that one cannot perform a knee strike while grappling
:save by sacrificing any hope of attacking with your hands - particularly
:when heroes can be so good at fighting in general that when grappled they
:could make upwards of *four* such attacks in six seconds. Grappling
:eek:bviously doesn't hinder them that much.

So your response is just to assert it's ludcrous
again. Here's a hint for you: when you're grappled,
your motion is impeded. If you can free every single
one of your limbs to attack, then your motion isn't really
impeded very much. It's ludicrous to suggest that
someone who is grappled can still move every single
one of his limbs freely.
:
[...]

They aren't made anywhere in the DMG or MM
either, though, so your entire argument falls flat.

:> :In addition, many monsters in
:> :the monster manual have more than one natural weapon with the improved
:grab
:> :capability, which produces some rather ludicrous results if such a "one
:at
:> :at ime" rule is applied to them.
:>
:> What about the rule would produce ludicrous
:> results? Use the Mind-Flayer for an example. Why
:> would the situation be completely unreasonable? Again,
:> eschew shouting and insults.
:
: I find it somewhat distressing that you cannot grasp that allowing a
:mind flayer to attack a person only with ONE TENTACLE out of the four
:co-located ones dangling from its mouth is ludicrous.

I don't find the ease with which you can be
distressed a very convincing argument. So why is it
ludicrous that a mind-flayer who *instead* wraps
someone up and pulls him into the mind-flayer's hex,
forgoes any subsequent attacks? It's not like he isn't
doing anything else.

:> You might want to follow your advice and
:> actually read the material you cite. It presents two
:> monster gets a single attack plus one additional attack
:> for each 5 points of BAB (so that if a creatures BAB is
:> less than (5*(# of attacks))-4, it *would* lose attacks).
:> It also doesn't give a preference between the two.
:
: Again, we see your IGNORANCE interfering with your ability to make
:intelligent comments.

Your EXCESSIVE CAPITALIZATION and
RELIANCE on INSULTS marks you as a GENETIC
SCUM. No, it's just some sloppy reading at 3am.

: You are not making a good impression, Harris. Again, I suggest that you
:get smarter. *NOW*.

I wouldn't want to outshine you *too* brightly.
I'm still waiting for you to apologize for berating me for
not reading the rules when there was nothing in the
rules to support your position or invalidate mine.

:-Michael

--
"If you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste more like
prunes than rhubarb does" -Groucho Marx

Werebat wrote:
> Grapple or Scrapple?
>
> OR...
>
> "They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
> "They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
>
> But seriously, folks...
>
> When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
> attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
> get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
> grappling? For example, a troll grapples a human fighter. On the round
> that it grapples, does it get to attack with its other claw and its
> bite? What about the round after? Does it select one and only one
> natural attack to attack with, or can it rend and chew on the hapless
> grappled fighter?
>

> The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
> attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
> to pin its opponent. Is this true?

Nice troll Ron.

- Justisaur.

Justisaur wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Grapple or Scrapple?
>>
>>OR...
>>
>>"They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
>>"They're grapplin', baby... Go ahead, baby..."
>>
>>But seriously, folks...
>>
>>When a creature with several natural attacks grapples an enemy, can it
>>attack with all of its natural weapons during its turn or does it only
>>get to choose one of them and lose the rest because it is busy
>>grappling? For example, a troll grapples a human fighter. On the round
>>that it grapples, does it get to attack with its other claw and its
>>bite? What about the round after? Does it select one and only one
>>natural attack to attack with, or can it rend and chew on the hapless
>>grappled fighter?
>>

>>The reading we have been using is that the troll only gets ONE natural
>>attack (of its choice) per round on the grappled foe, even if it manages
>>to pin its opponent. Is this true?
>

> Nice troll Ron.

I'd like to be grappled by Serena Williams.

- Ron ^*^

> : Yes, definitive. It wouldn't say "even if light weapons" unless it
was
> :referring to TWF, because that's the only place such a rule might
possibly
> :be relevant.
>
> So, what kind of weapons are you restricted to using while grappling?
Would they be *light* weapons,
> hmmmm? Moron.

Hmm. This charge of "moron" you render is, unfortunately, one that
reflects resoundingly upon its speaker. You are attempting to argue that
you are justified in your misinterpretation because the passage says "You
can't attack with two weapons [even if they are the only weapons you are
allowed to use]." I would ask you this - why on earth would you be
attacking with two weapons of a type that COULD NOT be used in a grapple in
the first place? That hardly makes any sense!
Furhter, the PhB's commentary on "attack your opponent" ACTUALLY says:
"You can make an attack with an UNARMED STRIKE, NATURAL WEAPON, *OR*
LIGHT WEAPON against another character you are grappling. You take a -4
penalty on such attacks. You can't attack with two weapons while grappling,
even if they are light weapons."

Now, were your hypothesis correct - that the comment was a tautological
reference to the weapons which you are restrited to using, the third
sentence would read "You can't attack with two weapons while grappling, even
if they are light weapons, unarmed strikes, or natural weapons." But that's
not what it actually says. As I have explained to you from the beginning,
this is only interpreted *coherently* in the context of two-weapons
fighting. The rule does not restrict the use of multiple natural weapons in
a grapple, nor does it prevent someone from mixing unarmed strikes, light
weapon attacks, and natural weapon attacks - it only blocks the use of TWF.

At this juncture, you have been well and truly shamed in public for
making silly statements and for revealing a deficient intellect. Learn from
this that it is important to make use of *all* the rules of the game, rather
than simply clinging, leech-like, to the tasty ankles of cherry picked
phrases. Such a strategy invariably leads one to bad places, filled with
dark things and lots of nasty teeth, to be with the biting and the
crunching. Namely, MSB.

-Michael

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:42:34 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Hmm. This charge of "moron" you render is, unfortunately, one that
:reflects resoundingly upon its speaker.

Let's look at this thread as a whole. You *could*
have posted the following:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050308a

"If you have multiple natural weapons, however, you can
use all of them while grappling. "

That would have ended the thread right there.
But you didn't. Instead, in your ten postings to this thread,
by my count you have posted zero quoted from the rules
that weren't previously quoted by another poster, and
zero pointers to actual rules text by page number, and
zero URLs of web articles. In those ten postings you have
relied instead on the capslock key and insults to argue your
point.

Even when you're right and I'm wrong, I'm ten times
smarter than you.

--
/buddha@nirvana.net/h:k

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:25:27 GMT, "Michael Scott Brown"
<mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote:

: I related to you very early in the discussion that the issue was
:*settled* by the Sage and documented on Wotc's website.

It was your *sixth* post in the thread, and it
was just a claim that there was a statement out there.
There was no pointer and there was no quote. As
support, it was about as solid as "Is too!"

*I* had to do your work for you. I provided a
far better argument for your position than you ever did
or are capable of doing.