CPU Upgrade for a Compaq Presario 7XX Mobile Duron

G

I have a Presario 714EA with a Mobile Duron 1000. I want to upgrade the CPU to a Athlon 4 1,2 Ghz, or maybe more. I've opened the case, and I've gained access to the CPU (wanted to check if the operation is possible first) but the socket is not a desktop motherboard type of socket, so I will have to pull it out with great strength and care, so I'm not doing that until I buy the new CPU... My questions is : Have you ever heard of a glued CPU or something like that. I mean, that thing is way stuck in there... Just wanna make sure manufacturers don't use tricks like that before killing my little laptop. BTW : I love this machine... I checked the voltage settings of the chips, I flashed the lates BIOS that supports Athlon 4 1500+ (1.3 Ghz). Am I missing something ???

Yeah, we DO have internet in Spain...

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
If it's a socket, you might be able to pull it, but OTOH, a soldered on chip will be harder... Pull the whole board out to check for sure (it might be hard to tell, depending on if the "socket" has pins or is surface mount). FWIW, it is known for chips to be glued on, but usually just SMD devices. BTW, Where on earth are you getting your Mobile Athlon chip from?

<i>It's all the same with the lights off</i>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
WM, you know that compaq is comcrap,isnt it?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

G

I've seen many sockets in my life, and this one looks like a real standard socket, but is lackin that "stick" (excuse my english) that you can pull up to release the chip. Looks like one of those old 486 sockets that just relied on strength of the user... And about the CPU, I saw some interesting prices in www.accessmicro.com check it out.

I LOVE MY COMCRAP.

G

I've seen many sockets in my life, and this one looks like a real standard socket, but is lackin that "stick" (excuse my english) that you can pull up to release the chip. Looks like one of those old 486 sockets that just relied on the strength and the skill of the user... And about the CPU, I saw some interesting prices in www.accessmicro.com check it out.

I LOVE MY COMCRAP.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
How cool is that? You can actually buy a mobile CPU retail! OK, so it's not a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) Socket. I'd just ease the old chip out *really* gently - but firmly. If you're worried, check at Comp^H^H er, HP, for their online manuals. There's probably a diagram of it which will indicate if it's removable or not.

<i>It's all the same with the lights off</i>