PC locks up a lot: Is it the CPU??

G

In the past week, I've been getting computer freezes/lockups on my rig
whereby I can only do a soft reboot. It only happens
while playing PC games.

Initially I thought it might be defective RAM so I tried some DOS
based diagnostic tools (from simmmaster.com) to check
that my Mushkin RAM modules weren't faulty. Tests came back OK.

Next, I tried an IBM diagnostic tool from their site to see if my IBM Deskstar hard disk was damaged and no errors were reported.

I have twice reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98
Second Edition and it works fine for all 'light' applications like browsing, text files.

A soft reboot only brings me back to desktop with mouse frozen on screen.
Then the ONLY way I can get the PC to work again is to restore my registry from a Norton Utlities back up and then switch off all items in 'msconfig'.

Also, no new hardward has been added to my rig in past 6 months and this freeze problem has just started in past week.

Any ideas out there on what is causing this and what i can do? I don't know if it is a defective CPU or MoBo as I have no clue how to test those??

Many thanks!

My PC Specs:
ABIT KT7-RAID KT133 Motherboard,
AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHz Socket A CPU,
Alpha PAL6035 Heatsink w/SUNON 60mm 26.2CFM Fan,
Arctic Silver Thermal Paste Applied,
Mushkin 512MB PC133 High Performance SDRAM Rev. 2,
Leadtek WinFast3D GeForce2 GTS 32MB Video Card,
IBM DeskStar 75GXP 45GB 7200RPM UDMA100 HDD,
Pioneer 16X/40X Internal ATAPI DVD/CDROM Drive,
TEAC 3.5" 1.44MB FDD,
U.S. ROBOTICS 56K PCI INTERNET CALL VOICE/MODEM,
Antec SX830 Workstation Case w/300W AMD Certified Power Supply,
2 Additional SUNON 80mm Std Case Fan for Cooling,
Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse,
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live EAX Sound card,
Windows 98 Second Edition,
Logitech Wingman Extreme Force Feedback USB Joystick.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
If you suspect it's the CPU, put it through its paces with Prime95, SuperPI, and Toast.

Also have Motherboard Monitor keep a log of temps and voltages during these tests, to see if the voltage wavers or the temps get too high. A T-bird should hold stable up to 60C; anything higher might be a problem.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yeah, of course.

& with my comp, above 55°C, there was crashes everywhere, especially now with a 24°C ambient air temp.
i have to switch off it & to cool the cpu with a hair blower!

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The two most likely causes, once you've already tried a clean install, are Dust or a weakening power supply. Try blowing dust out of the CPU cooler and graphics card. Power supplies can burn out over time, the cheaper ones tend to burn out the fastest. AMD aproval means little for a used power supply, they don't test them long enough to tell what time will do.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it! I will try those CPU tests tonight.

As for the power supply, all I know is that its an Antec SX830 Workstation Case w/300W, 15 months old..

Unfortunately, I don't know how to check if the power is OK or not?

I'll definately try the dust issue also..Could a problem be that I need to reapply some artic freeze themal compound to the heatsink? Is that relatively easy to do? Most I've ever done is install HD, CDRW, Sound card, RAM and Video Card...

Thanks again!

CJ

G

Check your voltages in your Bios.. had a similar thing happening to my rig.. I noticed +12v gave me +11.3 only and +5v was like 4.3v. Replaced the PSU ("quality" 1 year old Enermax 350W) with a new 450W and all is fine again.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Via KT-133 chipset is a pain in the butt (but not as bad as Via MVP3 chipset). When I unexpectedly get crashing problems in games I always suspect the Via 4-in-1 drivers are somehow corrupted. Try doing a clean reinstall of these. To do this cleanly you need to uninstall the old drivers first. You can use the latest 4.38 installer to do this. Run it once and select uninstall for all the components. Run it a second time and let the drivers install. To make the system run as smooth as possible I also reccommend a clean install of the nVidia drivers and DirectX. With Windows 9X/ME you'll need Detonator Destroyer to remove the nVidia drivers and DirectX Uninstaller or DirectX Eradicator to remove DirectX. (Eradicator works with Win2K. The other utilities do not).

You can get Detonator Destroyer at <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">www.guru3d.com</A>.
Get DirectX Eradicator at <A HREF="http://www.freewebz.com/firecat/" target="_new">http://www.freewebz.com/firecat/</A>.
Get the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">here</A>.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Forgot this, KT-133 is much more stable if you use AGP 2X instead of AGP 4X. There's not that much difference in performance.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

G

Thanks to everyone on this post for your feedback and advice.

Kelledin,
I ran TOAST and then "SuperPI":
On start up the CPU Temp was 51 degrees Celsius (after 5 mins or so of web browsing).
Then, I ran "Toast" and after about 3 minutes, the machine locked. A program, CPUIdle, showed that the prcessor was 0% idle during 'Toast'...CPU Temp after a soft reboot was 59 degrees Celsius and System Temp was 32degrees.

Then after 30 minutes, I start up the machine and tried SuperPI. It got throught all iterations of this PI Calculation until I had it do the 2M option...locked up on loop3 and temp was again 59 degree Celsious in the BIOS setting for the CPU.

Thats all i have. If these results mean anything to you experts, I'd again appreciate the advice. Maybe should I consider reapplying some Artic Freeze Compound to my heatsink??

Thanks ....

C

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Then after 30 minutes, I start up the machine and tried SuperPI. It got throught all iterations of this PI Calculation until I had it do the 2M option...locked up on loop3 and temp was again 59 degree Celsious in the BIOS setting for the CPU.
It's probably a heat issue. Summer is here and along with it come warmer ambient temperatures. You'll need better cooling. Like better case ventilation, a better heatsink, etc.

Ritesh

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
ritesh is on the right track here; it sounds like your CPU is just getting hotter than it can stand.

What's the ambient temperature in your case? Which way are the fans blowing? Fans parallel to the front bezel of the case should usually be blowing towards the rear; fans parallel to the bottom of the case should usually be blowing upwards.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

G

Well, without this invaluable forum, I'd be relying on some "professional" at a Compusa or BestBuy to 'repair' my prized rig...Not So!!

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions.

The winner is Crashman with "Or maybe a simple dusting."..

Yes, I decided to start with the easiest suggestion or the 'kiss' principle and work upwards...I spent 30 mins today giving it a good dusting (and it needed it!) and then installed the AC in my window and raise the PC off the carpeted floor (dont know if this will help in future) .....with an ambient room temp of 74 degree Celsius, I ran endless versions of that number cruncher 'SuperPI' and then I ran Toast for a while and then a few games (RTCW and Allied Assault) on highest settings and after 6 hours of testing, not one lock up.

And my CPU temp is down from 59degrees Celsius (where it used to lock up) to a cool (for me!) 43 degrees Celsius.

Thanks for eveything!!

Checkers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IMO dust filters are not the answer, they get clogged faster than the heatsink does, cutting off air. A good room air filter and occasional dusting will result in lower temps.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Crashman,
This is a stupid question, but do you mean one of those "Air Purifiers" when you mention 'air filter' above. If so, I'm off to the store :)

29 Degrees Celsius while browsing for past 2 hours ....hope it doesnt get too cold :)

Checkers

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
plus cleaner air is better all round.
better for you
better for all components in your case (cept possible the sealed hard drives)

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol: