Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

is it safe to remove the amd heatsink?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
June 2, 2002 5:30:24 AM

well i have had 2 computers die on me...one is a a year old computer based around a 1ghz amd athlon tbird and the other is a brand new box i built based around amd athlon xp 1800+. the brand new one died after a couple days. it won't even boot up (not even to POST). i have 2 case fans running and all 4 (cpu, system and 2 case fans) are working and all my drives are powered on as well. i think it's a cpu overheating. how could both my computers die? do you think it's a power problem? i hooked them up to a tripp lite surge protector good for 500 joules. i haven't connected the phone line though. well, my question is it safe to remove the heatsink from the processor and reattach it or must i get a new one? oh, i'm using the stock heatsinks/fans.

well, here is an in-depth description of my problems...
for the 1ghz box...
the first boot, windows boots up but the computer freezes up after about 2 minutes.
i reboot, and the time it takes for the computer to freeze gets progressively shorter. this led me to believe that it was an overheating problem.

my new 1800+ box...
the system froze one day when playing black & white and when rebooted it never started up...it hasn't started up since. it won't even start POST.

thanks for any help

More about : safe remove amd heatsink

June 2, 2002 5:41:34 AM

#1 sounds like a heat issue. May not be the cpu though, could be the video card or the northbridge.

If that PC still runs, get motherboard monitor installed and tray to monitor your temps that way. Alternatively monitor them from BIOS if your mobo supports it.

#2 doesn't sound promising. You're using retail heatsinks right (i.e your cpu's came boxed direct from AMD)? You did remove the protective film from the thermal pad before use right? - I just ask since you have 2 PCs with a problem.

The other possibility (other than a dead cpu) is that the motherboard or powersupply have died on the 1800+ system. What supply are you using?

The good news is that you can interchange and swap many things on your two systems to try and eliminate issues.

1stly I'd try running system 1 (1ghz) with the case off and see if keeps going longer.

Swap stuff around but leave the cpus 'till last (check PSUs, video cards first. I expect you have a mix of DDR and SDR RAM so probably cannot swap much, but if you have more than 1 stick in system #2, try swallping, reseating and using 1 at a time in various slots.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
June 2, 2002 7:26:50 PM

eh, kyOtO mOd, speak a little japan, im sure you cant. ll

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
Related resources
June 2, 2002 7:33:47 PM

freak

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 2, 2002 7:38:49 PM

Quote:
Poster: kinetek
Subject: Re: is it safe to remove the amd heatsink?

well i have had 2 computers die on me...one is a a year old computer based around a 1ghz amd athlon tbird and the other is a brand new box i built based around amd athlon xp 1800+. the brand new one died after a couple days. it won't even boot up (not even to POST). i have 2 case fans running and all 4 (cpu, system and 2 case fans) are working and all my drives are powered on as well. i think it's a cpu overheating. how could both my computers die? do you think it's a power problem? i hooked them up to a tripp lite surge protector good for 500 joules. i haven't connected the phone line though. well, my question is it safe to remove the heatsink from the processor and reattach it or must i get a new one? oh, i'm using the stock heatsinks/fans.

well, here is an in-depth description of my problems...
for the 1ghz box...
the first boot, windows boots up but the computer freezes up after about 2 minutes.
i reboot, and the time it takes for the computer to freeze gets progressively shorter. this led me to believe that it was an overheating problem.

my new 1800+ box...
the system froze one day when playing black & white and when rebooted it never started up...it hasn't started up since. it won't even start POST.

Just throw away Athlons and grab a Willamette or Northwood or two.

<b>Did we come here to laugh or to cry? Are we dying or being reborn?</b>
June 2, 2002 7:59:38 PM

wow! mod, im frightened. roflMAO.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
June 2, 2002 8:04:53 PM

how did they say it... remembering... computing... extracting...

Go Back To Your Cage, Dog!

June 2, 2002 8:07:06 PM

Quote:
how did they say it... remembering... computing... extracting...

Go Back To Your Cage, Dog!

???

pardon???

<b>Did we come here to laugh or to cry? Are we dying or being reborn?</b>
June 2, 2002 8:16:01 PM

i beg also your pardon?!?

hmmfff, btw, i have a psychomaniac question: are you a mod?

June 2, 2002 8:17:19 PM

hmmfff, Let It Die, i have seen your profile. ll

June 2, 2002 11:09:51 PM

well, of course i took of the tape...on the 1800+ box i have a 300w enermax power supply...i know it's not the video card because it still works in my other system...i think it's the cpu/heatsink or the motherboard...no one has answered my question yet though...is it okay to replace just the heatsink/fan for testing purposes? or must i replace the whole unit once the heatsink has been taken off the processor?
June 2, 2002 11:42:22 PM

yes, of course you can interchange pretty much any component. As long as you know what you are doing you'll be okay.

My hesitance around recommending you to do this initially is that since you don't know whether it is okay or not, you are obviously not that experienced in doing this. That is no bad thing, of course everyone has to start somewhere.

If you remove the haetsink from your cpu once the PC has run, then you need to do a few things.

Turn off all system power and remove the power lead. This prevents accidental power-on that can be real nasty.
Work like this is usually easier with the motherboard removed and resting on a firm, static-free surface.
Unclip the heatsink carfully. Retail h/s can be a little touch, be careful of the mobo.
Examine the base of the heatsink and the top of the cpu. look to ensure the pad melted and only a uniform, thin layer remain on the cpu and where the core pressed into it against the heatsink.
Remove CPU from mobo and inspect area.
Clean the heatsink and cpu off, remove all traces of the compound. The compound is one use only, do not try to reseat the heatsink with it. Cleaning is usually best achieved with a finger-nail initially, to remove the bulk, then with cotton-tips and warm soapy water. Let the heatsink and cpu dry thoroughly before re-use.
Final wipe the cpu core and heatsink with a dry, lint free cloth and ideally some isopropyl alcohol to remove grease and lint.
Apply thermal paste of your choice according to it's or <A HREF="http://www.articsilver.com" target="_new">Artic Silver's</A> instructions.
Re-attach desired heatsink per the original AMD instructions, or - if using another heatsink, theirs.

Good luck.

June 2, 2002 11:55:15 PM

Quote:
speak a little japan

How about you speak a little English, then I'll consider speaking to you in Japanese....

”nŽ­‚ÍŽ€‚È‚È‚«‚Ꭱ‚ç‚È‚¢

June 2, 2002 11:55:33 PM

Quote:
speak a little japan

How about you speak a little English, then I'll consider speaking to you in Japanese....

”nŽ­‚ÍŽ€‚È‚È‚«‚Ꭱ‚ç‚È‚¢

June 3, 2002 5:58:02 AM

just 2 posts for the same meaning, pls, enter a third. rofl.

<i>like the proverb, never 2 without 3.</i>

June 3, 2002 7:23:34 AM

actually...i have built 2 systems so far...the 1ghz and this 1800+ one...i found what the problem was...it was the motherboard...i swapped the abit kr7a-133 for a soyo kt333 dragon lite and it's fine now...i never had to remove the heatsink after the initial install before so i didn't know...i kind of figured it out on my own though...
June 3, 2002 7:34:06 AM

That's good, glad you figured it out. Good luck with the other one also.

Pete.

June 3, 2002 12:56:57 PM

well, i make a mistake on this one. he. but mistakes are a human being property among other. :smile:

June 4, 2002 8:52:18 AM

roflMAO.