BSOD Crash after resume from Hibernate

00birdy

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I just did a fresh 7 home pro install on a brand new caviar black harddrive. The rest of the system (hardware) has been run 2 years without any issues. A week ago I got some type of malware virus that corrupted the hard drive/windows system files so I just bought a new HD off the store shelf and started all over.
Since windows 7 defaults the hibernate feature ON in power settings which I had forgot about, the system kept going to sleep on me. It was late and I said oh whatever, I'll turn it on in the morning. About 9 hours later I turn it on, and it comes back on like normal; however trying to open any program resulted in an unusual 1+ minute delay. I was impatient and kept opening more things to see what would/wouldn't work, (notepad, calculator, slow programs that should be almost instant.) It ended up crashing to a blue screen. Now there's no reason with the processing power I have for that to happen (i5-750, 8gb ram) so Im wondering what this could be. Is windows inherently slow after coming back from hibernate? I've turned off the power saver settings and haven't had a problem since, but curious why it happened.
Since it's both a fresh windows install/fresh HD i wouldn't blame the hardware. Is there any way to check the logs or crash files or whatnot to possibly learn what it was or should I just "move along" as the police like to say.

RealBeast

Titan
It was the hibernation -- Windows power control is very buggy still and some critical components like the PCI bus may not reawaken from sleep or hibernate. If you don't need it, turn off hibernate and sleep and just use the monitor power settings to start a blank screen saver in whatever time and then have it turn off monitors in some greater length of time.

If you also want the hibernation file to be deleted, run an elevated command prompt and type powercfg.exe -h off

00birdy

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Good info thanks for the reply.
Is there any reason to delete it if I've already put both to Never in the power settings?