Passive-cooling?

FENRlZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
I´m wondering if I can run my CPU without a fan, only the heatsink. My CPU is a 1,3GHz Morgan (running at 1.45 vcore). I´m using a low-end stock-cooler with a 2500rpm fan, and its running from 28-32C. Even after running CPU intensive programs (like prime95, toast and Hot CPU Tester, it never rises above 32C, so I´m wondering if it would be possible... My PSU is very quiet, so if this is possible my whole system would be completely silent!

Any suggestions on a good heatsink, that just might do the job?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You might as well try it; just unplug the fan header and let it boot. The thing will theoretically hit 90C before it starts taking damage, and the temp doesn't rise very fast if it's in contact with a decent-sized passive heatsink.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
if your gonna go passive i would reccomend something BIG, like the MCX-462 or alpha PAL8045.
bigger is better... and having good case airflow is more important. (even though technically is not 'passive')

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, just check VERY close the evolution of the temps. However, is 2500 rpm fan noisy? I think most of THG people will tell this fan as quiet or even silent. Just check what a 7000rpm fan can shout!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
ye.. why dont you just get a low rpm fan like 2500rpm or somthing, fanless heatsink sounds a bit risky, you could give it a try. if u do decide to go fanless then i suggest you improve your case air circulation to keep the ambient temp down, that helps cool your cpu as well.