Sign in with
Your question

Add Second Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 7
March 2, 2013 1:10:41 PM

Have a desktop (not name brand) with Windows 7 Pro os. I want to add a second hard drive and have Windows XP installed on it.
How is this done? Should I remove the Win 7 hard drive and put the new hard drive in it's place and install the XP os? I realize that would have both hard drives formatted as drive C, which is no good. How would I designate the new hard drive as say drive D?
Or does the computer automatically do this itself?
Thank you for any help.

More about : add hard drive

a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2013 1:39:24 PM

Disconnect the Windows 7 drive from your board, install the second drive and install XP. Afterwards you can reconnect it and you might have to go into Disk Management to change the drive letter.
m
l
March 2, 2013 1:50:42 PM

CDdude55 - Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was afraid I might really cause a problem if I had 2 hard drives formatted as drive C. This "Disk Management" - Where is this found?

I forgot to mention, I have a USB to SATA external connection. Can I hook this to the second hard drive - place the XP disc in the DVD tray - and format the 2nd hard drive this way?
Many thanks
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 2:02:52 PM

flynby said:
CDdude55 - Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was afraid I might really cause a problem if I had 2 hard drives formatted as drive C. This "Disk Management" - Where is this found?
Many thanks

Right click the Computer icon and select Manage.
m
l
March 13, 2013 12:35:25 PM

Thanks to all of you for the help...
m
l
!