Add Second Hard Drive

Have a desktop (not name brand) with Windows 7 Pro os. I want to add a second hard drive and have Windows XP installed on it.
How is this done? Should I remove the Win 7 hard drive and put the new hard drive in it's place and install the XP os? I realize that would have both hard drives formatted as drive C, which is no good. How would I designate the new hard drive as say drive D?
Or does the computer automatically do this itself?
Thank you for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. Disconnect the Windows 7 drive from your board, install the second drive and install XP. Afterwards you can reconnect it and you might have to go into Disk Management to change the drive letter.
  2. CDdude55 - Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was afraid I might really cause a problem if I had 2 hard drives formatted as drive C. This "Disk Management" - Where is this found?

I forgot to mention, I have a USB to SATA external connection. Can I hook this to the second hard drive - place the XP disc in the DVD tray - and format the 2nd hard drive this way?
    Many thanks
  3. flynby said:
    CDdude55 - Thank you so much for the quick reply. I was afraid I might really cause a problem if I had 2 hard drives formatted as drive C. This "Disk Management" - Where is this found?
    Many thanks

Right click the Computer icon and select Manage.
  4. Thanks to all of you for the help...
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Hard Drives Windows XP