Getting a job in IT

I am currently in limbo when it comes to college. I do not think a 4 year is right for me.

I was thinking of getting into the computer repair business, but I do not know how to do so.

Talked with some local techies, they want a guy with a 4 year degree, don't know if that will work, concerning they hire on experience rather than learning.

How can I go about getting my foot in the door for IT?

CDdude55

Distinguished
It's hard to say, i mean the actual value of a degree is debatable. Most companies want it because it confirms for the most part, that you understand what you're talking about. In the field of IT, you can't lie as you go long, either you understand the technologies that they're using or you don't. But then there are also companies that welcome those without a degree and are willing to start you out with the basics of what they need and hope you grow more well versed into your role, these jobs are the ones i think you should look for if you're just starting out in the field of IT and understand the fundementals of computer repair.

Also there are tons certifications out there that you can get instead of a degree and most companies will look past a degree if you have enough certs.