Windows 7 wont recognize hdd

dateach

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
changed out the mb and cpu, leaving 4 existing 1 Tb drives. Loaded WIN7 on new SSD without trouble.

bios recognizes all HDD, but windows seems to only detect 1st HDD, and will not regognize the other 3.

Can you help?

dateach

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Nope, tried it once, but wound up costing me two hard drives that I could not even reformat.

But, short answer is no.

Tom

ps, WIN7 is 64 bit.

SSD for boot drive works great. Of the 4 HDD from old system (same WIN7) one drive works great, other 3 don't show up in Windows Explorer. Tried swapping power and data connectors. They do show up in bios and in Device Manager under disk drives.

Tom

dateach

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Good Morning Gamoholic.

Thank you for your continuing interest in my problem.

Disk Management lists my 4 HDD, but only identifies number 4 on their list. That one works just fine, and is the exact same as the other 3 which used to work, but now don't.

They show up as:

Disk # (1 - 3)
Dynamic (with an exclamation point (!) on a yellow triangle)
Foreign

All of that is in a box on the left, with nothing on the right. My good HDD is listed as:

General Data (E:)
931 GB NTFS
Healthy (Primary Partition)

NOTE: This is the correct name of the HDD, and none of them have more than 1 partition.

Thanks, Tom

dateach

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi Gam...

That did it! All four drives spin up and all data is intact. I have been building and rebuilding computers for a long time, and this is the first time I have run into "Foreign Disk".

Thanks a bunch,

Tom

Best Answer to Question.