Here's an idea...

Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
playing a campaign here, on this NG?

I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
negotiable.

If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.

Laszlo

In article <1119812024.120331.83150@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
> negotiable.
>
> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>
> Laszlo

like others have said, maybe on the actual ng isn't the place, but still
I'd like to participate in some sort of digital campaign.

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
> negotiable.
>
> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>
> Laszlo

I would be interested in helping for a couple rounds or days of
gametime. I'm not sure I could play the whole game. Perhaps I could
play a few NPCs on an encounter or run a location in a city.

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
> negotiable.
>
> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>
> Laszlo

I don't think the newsgroup would be the proper place for a campaign,
although it wouldn't exactly be NOISE. PBEM might make more sense.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>
>> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>>
>> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
>> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
>> negotiable.
>>
>> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
>> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>>
>> Laszlo
>

> I don't think the newsgroup would be the proper place for a campaign,
> although it wouldn't exactly be NOISE. PBEM might make more sense.
>
> - Ron ^*^

Or a messageboard where such things are encouraged.

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
> negotiable.
>
> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>
> Laszlo

You would probably get flamed in every post for actually being on topic
LOL! You wouldnt really have the control of posts that is required to run
a game on this newsgroup. I am in a group that has been using RPOL for the
past year, and so far it has worked flawlessly.

C. Baize wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>

>> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>>
>>> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>>> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of perhaps DM'ing a module, probly Return to the Temple of
>>> Elemental Evil, 'cause I think it's an awesome adventure. This is
>>> negotiable.
>>>
>>> If this gets off the ground, I'll make an "official" thread for it;
>>> right now, I just wanna see if there's sufficient interest.
>>>
>>> Laszlo
>>

>> I don't think the newsgroup would be the proper place for a campaign,
>> although it wouldn't exactly be NOISE. PBEM might make more sense.
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>

> Or a messageboard where such things are encouraged.

It would be neat to have him run it more experimental, to trial game
rules and scenarios, not to play an actual game start to finish.

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> playing a campaign here, on this NG?

Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such an
event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy the
diversion and discussion.
But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc. that's
under your own control.

-Michael

Michael Scott Brown wrote:

> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
>
>>Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>>playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>

> Not part of the group's charter

You crack me up, MSB! :^P

- Ron ^*^

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
> > playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such an
> event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
> without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy the
> diversion and discussion.
> But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc. that's
> under your own control.

I know it's against the charter. The reason I wanted to hold it here is
because I thought it would be fun for the peanut gallery, not just the
players, and it would--no doubt--lead to interesting rules discussions.
This would not happen if it were on a different board; I doubt that
many regulars/lurkers would take the trouble to regularly check out a
different board.

Laszlo

"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
>> Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>> playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>
> Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such an
> event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
> without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy the
> diversion and discussion.
> But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc. that's
> under your own control.

There is more than one MSB, methinks. That's the first civilized response
I've read from him about someone other than him. <applause light goes on>
Proud to see another, softer, side to the proud MSB.

-==-
Jerry Chesko

Jerry Chesko wrote:
> "Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>><laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
>>
>>>Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>>>playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>>
>> Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such an
>>event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
>>without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy the
>>diversion and discussion.
>> But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc. that's
>>under your own control.
>>

> There is more than one MSB, methinks. That's the first civilized response
> I've read from him about someone other than him. <applause light goes on>
> Proud to see another, softer, side to the proud MSB.

MSB is more like me than he'd like you to know. :^)

- Ron ^*^

"Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
> Like MSB always says, he's only abusive to those who merit abuse.
> While I think his list of qualifications for "merits abuse" is a bit
> overly broad, he sticks to it pretty intently.
>
> Laszlo's OP was reasonable, and it's always a good idea to get the
> flavor of the group before trying something like that, anyway.

Bingo. It's just AMAZING what being not with the stupidity and the
ignorance can do for MSB's demeanor.
MSB is offended by ignorance and stupidity.
Plan accordingly.

Strangely, people continually refuse to conduct themselves according to
such standards - rather stubbornly, in fact (GOSLIN! COPE! ZENOBERON!).
Why?
Whhhyyyyyyy?

-Michael

"Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

> Jerry Chesko wrote:
>> "Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>>><laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message

>>> Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such
>>> an
>>>event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
>>>without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy the
>>>diversion and discussion.
>>> But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc. that's
>>>under your own control.
>>>

>> There is more than one MSB, methinks. That's the first civilized
>> response I've read from him about someone other than him. <applause
>> light goes on> Proud to see another, softer, side to the proud MSB.
>
> MSB is more like me than he'd like you to know. :^)

(Typed with a kind smile, so no snark intended)
Ron, you seem like the sort who can find humor in anything. MSB, until now,
struck me as the type to level a 30mm autocannon at a target that only
needed a .45ACP semi-automatic to drop. That kind of overkill is what
tended to put me off about him. As I said before, though, after one
develops the ability to sort through the dross, it's easy to get the
information he provides

Jerry Chesko wrote:
> "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>Jerry Chesko wrote:
>>
>>>"Michael Scott Brown" <mistermichael@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>There is more than one MSB, methinks. That's the first civilized
>>>response I've read from him about someone other than him. <applause
>>>light goes on> Proud to see another, softer, side to the proud MSB.
>>
>>MSB is more like me than he'd like you to know. :^)
>>

> (Typed with a kind smile, so no snark intended)
> Ron, you seem like the sort who can find humor in anything. MSB, until now,
> struck me as the type to level a 30mm autocannon at a target that only
> needed a .45ACP semi-automatic to drop.

Oh, he works to the DCSE does he? :^)

> That kind of overkill is what
> tended to put me off about him. As I said before, though, after one
> develops the ability to sort through the dross, it's easy to get the
> information he provides

That's just it. I think his persona is mostly just that.

- Ron ^*^

> "Nikolas Landauer" <dacileva.flea@hotmail.com.tick> wrote in message
>> Like MSB always says, he's only abusive to those who merit abuse.
>> While I think his list of qualifications for "merits abuse" is a bit
>> overly broad, he sticks to it pretty intently.
>>
>> Laszlo's OP was reasonable, and it's always a good idea to get the
>> flavor of the group before trying something like that, anyway.
>
> Bingo. It's just AMAZING what being not with the stupidity and the
> ignorance can do for MSB's demeanor.
> MSB is offended by ignorance and stupidity.
> Plan accordingly.
>
> Strangely, people continually refuse to conduct themselves according to
> such standards - rather stubbornly, in fact (GOSLIN! COPE! ZENOBERON!).
> Why?
> Whhhyyyyyyy?

I'm reminded of a kid I knew in High School, maybe you know the kind. He
was the type who'd bug the holy hell out of the known and, if possible, most
dangerous bullies in school. End result was the bully inches from
annihilating him, only to be saved by a passing teacher or the principal and
the bully packed off to ISS (In-School Suspension). Could be we have some
adult versions of that kid for you, MSB. The teacher in this case, is
UseNet since the physical element (the immenent pummeling) has been removed.

Just to avoid getting placed on the hit-list: (1)How stupid is too stupid?
(2)How ignorant is too ignorant? Is there a zero-tolerance policy in effect
or is it a 'Three Strike Rule'?

-==-
Jerry Chesko

> Jerry Chesko wrote:
>> "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

>>>MSB is more like me than he'd like you to know. :^)
>>>

>> (Typed with a kind smile, so no snark intended)
>> Ron, you seem like the sort who can find humor in anything. MSB, until
>> now, struck me as the type to level a 30mm autocannon at a target that
>> only needed a .45ACP semi-automatic to drop.
>
> Oh, he works to the DCSE does he? :^)

Don't believe so, but if there were a Geneva Conventions for flaming in
UseNet, I'd think MSB might be up for war crime charges, sometimes. :p

-==-
Jerry Chesko

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > > Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such
> an
> > > event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
> > > without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy
> the
> > > diversion and discussion.
> > > But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc.
> that's
> > > under your own control.
> >
> > I know it's against the charter. The reason I wanted to hold it here is
> > because [snip]
>
> IRRELEVANT. We don't care about your "because".

You don't appear to be speaking for the NG here.

> There is no "because". Not the charter.

I do not care about the charter. No, really. I do not care. Not even a
little bit.

What I care about is whether the majority of the people participating
in this NG are interested, or not. That is all.

Laszlo

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > I do not care about the charter. No, really. I do not care. Not even a
> > little bit.
>
> I just wanted to call attention to that comment of yours.
> Is it common for you to enter social clubs and declare that you do not
> care about the customs and purposes of such endeavours?

Not at all. But the purpose of a social club's (or an NG's) charter is
to inform people about what members of the club like to do, or are
interested in doing.

If most people in a club (or NG) are interested in doing something that
is against the charter, then it's the charter that is in error.

If most people here say they aren't interested in having a campaign run
(or would actually be bothered by it), they'll say so, and I'll respect
that (and guess what; I still won't care about the charter). If most
people _are_ interested, then I guess the charter is in need of an
update.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
>
>><laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
>>
>>>Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>>>playing a campaign here, on this NG?
>>
>> Not part of the group's charter

LOLOLOLOL!!! The SACRED CHARTER of RGFD that is NEVER VIOLATED!!!

*WOE* *BETIDE* HE WHO VIOLATES THE CHARTER OF RGFD!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HAA!!!

- Ron ^*^

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message

> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > > Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested
in
> > > playing a campaign here, on this NG?
> >
> > Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize
such an
> > event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
> > without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy
the
> > diversion and discussion.
> > But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc.
that's
> > under your own control.
>
> I know it's against the charter. The reason I wanted to hold it here is
> because I thought it would be fun for the peanut gallery, not just the
> players, and it would--no doubt--lead to interesting rules discussions.
> This would not happen if it were on a different board; I doubt that
> many regulars/lurkers would take the trouble to regularly check out a
> different board.

My first thought was "This isn't the right place and a newsgroup, being
asynchronous, would be a
poor choice of media in any case."

But now that you put it like that. Treating it as a way for the entire
newsgroup to look at in game rule application and such... it is a very
interesting idea and probably on topic.

I would be interested in participating but unfortunately that isn't
practical given time zone differences and the fact that I am away from my
computer for (usually unpredictable) days at a time.

Do I get to play my ranger with his wand of automatic missile fire?

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club

julian814 wrote:
> Do I get to play my ranger with his wand of automatic missile fire?
>

> Ralph Glatt
>
> Member, Old Farts Club

Would that ranger perhaps wear a beret and strange a strange clothlike
armor of many pouches?

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
>Something just occurred to me... would any of you guys be interested in
>playing a campaign here, on this NG?

Good God, no. This sure as hell ain't the place, and doubly so not the
medium. Webboards, email, and chat/irc/im will are all better tools for
the job.

(Unless, of course, I'm attributing to stupidity what could also be
explained by malice. In that case, IHBT, IHL.)

--
--DcB

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > Not part of the group's charter, but you can certainly organize such
an
> > event and plot-plan or otherwise brainstorm on the matter on the forum
> > without crossing any important boundaries. Many would probably enjoy
the
> > diversion and discussion.
> > But hold the actual game moves on a private board/website/etc.
that's
> > under your own control.
>
> I know it's against the charter. The reason I wanted to hold it here is
> because [snip]

IRRELEVANT. We don't care about your "because". There is no "because".
Not the charter.
By revealing that you knew full well what you wanted to do was
inappropriate from the start, you just evaporated much good karma.

-Michael