Need advice on a new system

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Hi, Im currently builing a system for my cousin. Its mainly just going to be used for surfing the net, but gaming is also a future possiblity. So I was wondering what kind of components I should use.

I was thinking of.....
1.6A P4 or a 1.7 AXP
40GB HD
256MB RAM
Motherboard with integrated audio and video

the integrated video is mainly for cost savings right now.
using newegg.com I came up with prices between 400-500 dollars US for the complete system(not including monitor). I also threw in Video Cards on some and used integrated video on others. Im just looking for recommendations and improvements on my choices.

The case I will be using has a 300-watt PS.

Thank you in advance...

Also, with integrated video should I get and nForce and go with an AMD or should I get the P4 with an Intel i845G chipset.... I havent heard much about the 845G so Im not sure how good the graphics are.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Methos on 06/04/02 10:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
If you want best bang for the buck, a 1.7 AXP will most certainly best a 1.6 P4. The P4 only starts besting the AXP at the higher end in their 2.4 ghz chips which i'm guessing cost as much as the computer you're planning to build. I am also in the process of building a new computer for my parents, but i'm giving them my old parts and getting new ones for myself since they really only use it to wordprocess and go online :) Now for $500 i'm pretty sure you could get a decent system with a video card, i would forget the integrated video if i were you, that's probably a big mistake unless you don't want to do any gaming. Right now your best bet for the motherboard is probably an EPOX 8K3A+ $108 at newegg, not bad. You can pick up pc 2700 ram from crucial for around $80 - $100 The rest is basically trivial and up to you, get the athlon, video card, and hard drive you can afford, you might want to throw in a sound card too, i think you can get an SB live for around $40, but the integrated audio might be enough for you, i just wouldn't stick with integrated video if you have any intention of gaming with it in the future. I think you can get a Gf3 right now for around $100, so you could definitely get a nice cheap gf2 ultra or something like that. Oh and if you want a nice case, i'm buying one from newegg for $32, w/o powersupply, but you can probably get an enermax 300 watt for around $40. This case seems to be kind of hard to believe for what they're giving you, worth a look......http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=7&manufactory=1524&DEPA=1

first one on the list

G

Thats not necessarily true... Pentium IV do have some advantages... particurlarly if the games you intend to play are Quake III base... But in general buy an AXP. I've got a 1700 so i can vouch for the quality :) (like it matters LOL)

As for a 300 Watt psu... you might find that a bit low, particularly if you intend to overclock.

I'm done... :)

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
"If you want best bang for the buck, a 1.7 AXP will most certainly best a 1.6 P4"

Hmmm, now I know he didnt mention OCing, but Im pretty sure a 1.6A can be OCed to perform better than that AXP.....Good "bang for the buck", imo.
Radeon 8500 is down to $100......Theres some more "BANG" for ya.

I sold my sig for $50.

G

I think the AXP will do just fine... in Oc'ing etc.

As for the Radeon 85k , i got one for about 110 about a month ago... great stuff all around... :)

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Radeon 8500 is down to $100......Theres some more "BANG" for ya.
tsk tsk. im afraid of the bang is yours this time.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
As for the Radeon 85k , i got one for about 110 about a month ago... great stuff all around... :)
tsk tsk, not possible.
cheaper price round $250 for the ATI Radeon 8500 64 Mo.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I think the AXP will do just fine... in Oc'ing etc.
The P4 1.6A overclocks far better than the AXP. The chances are very high that it will do 2.4 GHz with retail cooling, and that's with a nice quick FSB too. If the OP intends to overclock, the P4 1.6A or 1.8A is really the best value.

Ritesh

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
"The P4 1.6A overclocks far better than the AXP. The chances are very high that it will do 2.4 GHz with retail cooling, and that's with a nice quick FSB too. If the OP intends to overclock, the P4 1.6A or 1.8A is really the best value."

Ive considered overclocking but what about the memory it will more that likely be DDR memory and while jumping the FSB to 133 for the P4A will provide a boost there, won't the 266MHz DDR memory be a limiting factor as far as performance boosts go????

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
1.6 OCed to 2.4. haha.
maybe with a long prayer as well...

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
mhz for mhz the AXP outperforms a P4. So wouldn't an OC'ed AXP and an OC'ed P4 still perform roughly the same before the OC even though the Athlon will oc less? e.g. AXP 1600+ @ 1.6ghz and a P4 1.6a @ 2.4ghz.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A 1600+ runs at 1.4ghz, not 1.6ghz, generally the p4 overclocked will beat the athlon, but the person who started this thread did not mention overclocking, and from the fact the pc is not for him, I would reccomend the athlon to avoid any issues overclocking may bring.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>Labdog says:</i>
tsk tsk, not possible.
cheaper price round $250 for the ATI Radeon 8500 64 Mo.

$110 US, $250 Canadian.

<i>Labdog says:</i>
1.6 OCed to 2.4. haha.
maybe with a long prayer as well...

I didn't have to say even a short prayer to get my 1.6A to 2.5. You might want to learn what you're talking about before you open your mouth next time.

<i>Matisaro says:</i>
from the fact the pc is not for him

Actually, he said it is for him and he'll be giving his old parts to his parents.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
"Actually, he said it is for him and he'll be giving his old parts to his parents."

Actually I said I was building it for my cousin, using new parts, someone else mentioned they was building one for thier parents using parts from their old system.

Also, about OCing, if I OC a 1.6A P4 to a 133FSB, I know 266MHz DDR would be fine at that speed, but how would that affect performance??

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
A 1600+ runs at 1.4ghz, not 1.6ghz

Yeah I knew that but I was saying an oc'ed AXP at 1.6ghz which I'm sure it will do when it's unlocked will perform roughly the same as an oc'ed P4 1.6a even though it doesn't overclock as high (mhz for mhz).

But at these speeds, either way will be fine.

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
No worries, Its not like I have never made that mistake.

Can anyone give me any info on the performance of DDR 266 with a P4A OCed to 133FSB??