AMD XP 2100+ and Silverado

Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Hey!
I just wanted to know if anybody can tell if a Silverado can cool a AMD XP 2100+.
And if it can what should I set the voltage to (6v, 8v, 10v or 12v).
I don't know that much about hardware, so I just wanted to get some advise from all the "Pro"'s in here, before I started screwing around with my new CPU.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The silverado is for 1.2ghz and less chips, if cannot cope with high speed modern processors, and for the price it isnt any quieter than an amd stock hsf.

If you want a quiet cooler get an alphapal8045 with a sunon 80mm fan, whisper quiet and very nice cooling.

Silverados just arent worth the money, and they cant cool the faster athlons anymore.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Well if you look here: www.noisecontrol.de/info/silverado/spec_frameset.htm
you can see that at 6v it should be able to cool a XP 1700+ (1466Mhz), and at 8v,10v and 12v it just says "alle" (all on german).

And heres a quote from an article here on TH:
The fan was so quiet during the test that we could only tell that it was running by actually looking at the spinning propellers.

So please don't reply if you don't know about the cooler.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey!
I just wanted to know if anybody can tell if a Silverado can cool a AMD XP 2100+.
And if it can what should I set the voltage to (6v, 8v, 10v or 12v).
I don't know that much about hardware, so I just wanted to get some advise from all the "Pro"'s in here, before I started screwing around with my new CPU.
If you <b>already</b> have a Silverado, it would probably manage. It's certainly no worse than AMD's stock heat sink. (However, as far as I know it also isn't much better.)

I'm assuming the voltages you listed are for the fan speed control? If so, the higher the better... If not... then what the heck could it be for? Heh heh.

If you plan on <b>buying</b> a new Silverado though just for your new AXP 2100+, I'd suggest you look at something else instead.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>
The silverado is for 1.2ghz and less chips, if cannot cope with high speed modern processors
</font color=blue>Matisaro, what information can you provide to back this up? I thought that AXPs were supposed to be cooler than T-Birds, so why would an older heat sink, <i>designed</i> for a hotter-running chip, not be able to run today's CPUs, eh? ;)

According to AMD's datasheets, a 1200MHz T-Bird has an average thermal output of 58.8W and a maximum of 65.7W. If a Silverado can run a 1.2GHz T-Bird, then it can also run an AXP 1700+ (1467MHz) which has an average thermal output of 57.4W and a maximum of 64W. It'd probably even be happy on an 1800+ (15333) which is only just barely over the thermal output of a 1.2GHz T-Bird at an average of 59.2W and a maximum of 66W.

1.2GHz ThunderBird = 65.7W max
AXP 1800+ (1533MHz) = 66.0W max

Pretty darn close if you ask me. And still just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the AXP 2100+ (1733MHz) thermal output of 64.3W on average and 72W max. So I don't get why a Silverado with the fan set high couldn't handle an AXP 2100+. According to Noise Control it can. According to AMD's datasheets it shouldn't be a problem. If you can't trust the heat sink manufacturer and the CPU manufacturer, who <i>can</i> you trust?

Consequently, the new Thoroughbred at 2100+ (1733MHz) has an average thermal output of 56.4W, which is <i>less</i> than the 1.2GHz Thunderbird's average of 58.8W. So if the Silverado works peachy on a 1.2GHz T-Bird, it sure seems like it would work on a Thoroughbred at 2100+.

So Matisaro, are you <i>sure</i> that a Silverado "<font color=blue>cannot cope with high speed modern processors</font color=blue>"? Or do you just have something personal against Noise Control or their Silverado? Provide proof, because the paperwork sure is against your statement.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Well if you look here: www.noisecontrol.de/info/silverado/spec_frameset.htm
you can see that at 6v it should be able to cool a XP 1700+ (1466Mhz), and at 8v,10v and 12v it just says "alle" (all on german).

Yeah, so does every heatsink you can buy, even though the hsf wont be able to cut it.

The silverado is FAR to expensive for what it provides, which is silent cooling, you can get a CHEAPER heatsink thats just as quiet and cools better.

I do know what I am talking about, the silverado is a bad investment, period.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Matisaro, what information can you provide to back this up? I thought that AXPs were supposed to be cooler than T-Birds, so why would an older heat sink, designed for a hotter-running chip, not be able to run today's CPUs, eh? ;)

Long ago, when the 1.3ghz tbirds came out, there was a hsf roundup showing the silverado near last(on 12 volts), I extrapolated the heat output just like you did, that added to the price of said silverado lead to my condemnation of it as an hsf, your first post on this thread is exactly where I was coming from with my post.

My statement about cannot coping, it was flavored by the price and performance of the heatsink, to clarify, it probably will prevent lockups, but it will cost you tons and @12volts not be as silent as say an alphapal8045 with a sunon 80mm, or the amd stock hsf.

So while my statement it cannot cope was slightly exxagerated, the fact is its a bad buy, there are cheaper better coolers out there which are just as silent.

Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Ok, sounds like somebody actually knows something. I think I'll take a chance and put the silverado on my XP 2100.

Thx for the reply slvr_phoenix

Rainchill

Distinguished
May 4, 2002
Hello there, I run a silverado on my xp1900+. My processor is under constant 100% load, inside a computer desk, and the ac is set to 78. All this considered my processor still runs at 105 with no extra case cooling fans. The motherboard monitor (which I know can be wrong) reports 3600+ rpm and I still can't hear the thing even when I am working on my computer.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I would reccomend the alpha pal8045(with an 80mm pabst fan) if you are buying the hsf, if you already own a silverado it will work, but it will be at 12 volts.

If you are choosing a hsf to buy today, and you choose the silverado, imo your wasting money for nothing, but if you already own the silverado it should work on an axp.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok, sounds like somebody actually knows something. I think I'll take a chance and put the silverado on my XP 2100.

You know, that kind of sounds like an insult towards me, and as fatburger said, dont ask for advice if you dont wanna take it, and dont get pissy someone told you your precious silverado was a bad buy.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
By the way, heres the hsf roundup I was refering to.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1532&p=25" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1532&p=25</A>

Notice in their conclusion for silent cooling they dont even MENTION THE SILVERADO.

"Those who are not overclocking and want just sufficient cooling performance at the lowest possible noise level, should consider the
Alpha PAL8045 with Papst 8412NGL fan - where available. "

Why, isnt that my reccomendation??

Or how about some of their nice comments (which mirror some of my own which were attacked by the questioner) about the silverado.

"Conclusion: The Silverado is a good cooler - but its performance doesn't justify the high price. For the same price, you can also get the Alpha PAL8045 with a high-quality fan. And, with the right fan, the Alpha will always provide a better noise/cooling performance ratio than the Silverado. Users who want a lower noise cooler, but can't use the Alpha because of the lack of mounting holes in the motherboard, should consider the Silverado - but only if they don't move their PC around. "

Oh, and heres the chart showing the temprature performance of the heatsinks

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1532&p=2" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1532&p=2</A>

Putting the silverado near the BOTTOM at 6 volts, and at 12 volts its louder than my reccomendation.

Oh and a final nail in the silverados coffin.

the "silent" silverado@ 12 volts is at 51Db, where my selection is at 35, AND IT COOLS BETTER.

HELL the "silent" silverado@ 6 volts is still 39Db, LOUDER THAN MY SOLUTION.

add to this the fact that at this moment an alphapal8045 is 35 bucks, where the CHEAPEST noisecontrol silverado I could find was almost 70$.

Anyone else wanna defend the noise control?

Or insult my advice based from ignorance?

rept

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
Thanks Matisaro,

I checked out the link and I'm decided :) I'm going for this one instead of the silverado.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
If you already have a Silverado, it would probably manage. It's certainly no worse than AMD's stock heat sink
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com./articles471/" target="_new">AMD stock HSF review (alternative)</A>

Just see the last picture of in the page... LOL

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, sounds like somebody actually knows something.
Just because the woman working at Gap says your ass looks good in those jeans doesn't mean that they're the best ones to get. Don't think someone knows more just because they say what you want to hear.

(That first sentence came from the Drew Carey Show, don't take it personally. Just an example)

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Exactly, thanks burger.

And to the person who avoided buying the silverado, no problem, silverado was very good in its day, when delta was the norm, the new breed of 80mm hsfs are awesome, cooling amazingly and quiet as a case fan.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think you mean 120mm. 12mm would be a pretty tiny fan :lol:

There are adapters, but they suck (at least the one I used, which was supposed to be good).

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
So while my statement it cannot cope was slightly exxagerated, the fact is its a bad buy, there are cheaper better coolers out there which are just as silent.
Oh, I agree. My point was simply that if you <i>already own</i> a Silverado (my guess would be from stripping down an old system and/or upgrading the CPU in an old system), you <i>can</i> still use it. However, for anyone buying a new heat sink, go for something better.

Your first post just made it sound as though an AXP2100+ would die a horrible burning death should anyone ever try to mount a Silverado on it, which, as far as I know, is competely untrue. It might not be the best of coolers (especially for its price), but at least it gets the job done.

Snorklis

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
You will have no problem with XP2100+ and Silverado.

I have a Silverado myself and XP1800+, and idle around 47c. With heavy load like toast/Seti, its around 53c. Im using the 8v cable.
I can hear my harddrives in idle (3 of them) more than I hear the Silverado itself, so its really silent running. I would recommend it if you have the money for it.