Codhein

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
I've heard the pentium4 is better for video editing, and that the AMD has a problem doing it? There also seems to be som prejudice against Via chipsets. Can anyone tell me why an Intel might be better at it? Will the clawhammer change this?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Both CPUs excel at different things. If you want to do 3D work, games or 2D graphics work, get an Athlon. If you do video editing, MP3 encoding or play Quake 3, then get a P4. Via chipsets are hated by some in the enthusiast community, due to their bugginess. I personally have never had any problems with a Via chipset, but lots have.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Codhein

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
I've seen the benchmarks, but I want to know WHY the P4 is better at video editing. I also want to know if the Athlon has any PROBLEMS with video editing (not compatible with certain software like Avid Express, or more prone to crashing). I would assume that the proccesor being used would be transperant to any software, but there are, perhaps, optimizations it would be looking for and such.

Again though, WHY is the P4 better at vid editing?

And, will the clawhammer change this?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Strange you mention it, AMD does have a known issue with AMD systems where it will generate gray boxes in the preview window. Known fix is to swap oout hardware and try again. Check on Avid Express forum for gray box issues, This phenomenon is known to only happen with AMD based systems.

P4 has superior bandwidth, bandwidth is essential to video editing.

AMD's crash anyway, stability has always been an issue.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>BigRollTide says:</i>
Which games would a AMD be better at? So the AMD is better at all games EXCEPT Quake 3?

Pretty much, yes. Well, all Quake 3 based games, so I would think Jedi Knight II, MOHAA, etc would qualify.

<i>Codhein says:</i>
I've seen the benchmarks, but I want to know WHY the P4 is better at video editing.

I'm not sure, but I would think it's because of the ALU performance and memory bandwidth.

<i>FUGGER says:</i>
AMD's crash anyway, stability has always been an issue.

Not true at all, my Athlon system was very stable. Nobody I know has ever had an instable Athlon system.

I guess you just can't perceive that, eh? :wink:

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Codhein

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
OK, then...so the P4 is better for vid editing due to bandwidth. But what if you're on a DDR platform? Then which of the following core configs would be better as a core for a NLE system:

Abit IT7 Mainbaord
P4 2.2ghz
2x 512MB PC2100 w/2-2-2 timings

Abit AT7 Mainboard
XP 2100+
2x 512MB PC2700 2-2-2 timings
?

Also, what about that Clawhammer factor? Would anyone knowledgabe enough to decipher the specs for the new core care to predict who will be king of vid editing at the end of the year?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
DDR brings the P4 back closer to Athlon levels in video encoding. As for Clawhammer noone knows for sure as noone has one, but you can bet itll close the gap or pass P4. There is also rumor they will be available 2 months before they ere originally due (August instead of September)....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you had problems with BSOD in Win98SE? Because I never do. Which is a good reason why I haven't downgraded to XP. Many a BSOD can be attributed to VIA chipset systems that have "no VIA quirks". XP recovers the error before it causes a BSOD. Better not to have an error in the first place, no?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
PS- VIA chipsets have SUCKED ASS in the past. They have gotten much better lately as they have gained a large market share and the $$ that goes with. Still not perfect, but alot closer then before......

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i strongly suggest you search for AMD vs Intel on this forum.

you will find so much information its not funny.
this question has been asked to death.

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im playing with the IT7 (very good choice for DDR), it is legacy free meaning there are no PS2 ports, no LPT, or serial ports.

The P4T533-c is the stronger board.

6 USB 2.0,3 1394A ports, 6 IDE, SPDIF optical audio, built in lan and 4 PCI slots. with ample space between the AGP and first PCI slot.

I dont know much about the AT7, but I would not consider a AMD system. Thats just me tho.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Abit IT7 Mainbaord
P4 2.2ghz
2x 512MB PC2100 w/2-2-2 timings

Abit AT7 Mainboard
XP 2100+
2x 512MB PC2700 2-2-2 timings
?

Also, what about that Clawhammer factor? Would anyone knowledgabe enough to decipher the specs for the new core care to predict who will be king of vid editing at the end of the year?

Without overclocking, of those 2 rigs the amd will be faster, and cheaper.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: