Sign in with
Your question

what does bgpga stand for?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2002 7:14:58 PM

I know the pin grid array part, but I searched the boards and I can't find the definition for BG anywhere.

More about : bgpga stand

June 5, 2002 8:10:32 PM

Ball-Grid. Although I don't know what it looks like or why ball.

--
Meow
June 5, 2002 10:27:56 PM

im pretty sure that it is a bunch of small "balls" of solder that they heat up with (im assuming) a heatgun, and then press onto the pcb.
surface mounting for chips.
they put chipsets and video card chips on this way...
im pretty sure that is what it is...but dont hold me to it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Related resources
June 5, 2002 11:30:51 PM

HonestJohn is exactly right. Look at the memory on a GF4Ti or 8500 compared to the memory on any earlier cards if you want the difference. The 8500 and GF4Ti use ball-grid. Kingmax has been using ball-grid for quite some time now, too.

There are several applications other than memory that have been using ball-grid, as mentioned.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2002 12:52:26 AM

BGA is also used for some mobile processors and most chipsets.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 6, 2002 1:04:06 AM

Here is a high res picture of a BPGA memory chip, there are no pins just little balls on the solder points.

<A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/bpga1.jpg" target="_new">BPGA Chip</A>

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
June 6, 2002 1:44:04 AM

Have you actually seen references to BGPGA or was taht a typo. I have only come across BPGA....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
June 6, 2002 6:02:50 PM

Quote:
BGA is also used for some mobile processors and most chipsets.

Yes, that too.
Here's a reference point for you: ball-grid has connections all over the chip, normal only on the outside. Some diagrams, with the red being the connection points:

Standard:
<pre> ___
<font color=red>*</font color=red>| |<font color=red>*</font color=red>
---
</pre><p>Ball-grid:
<pre> _ _ _ _ _ _
|<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=red>*</font color=red>|
- - - - - -
</pre><p><font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
!