Best way to check laptop integrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someguitarist

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I recently purchased a NewEgg openBox MSI laptop, and I love it to death, however I'm fearful since it was an OpenBox that anything can be wrong that I don't know about. All I've done is put it through a few hours of Deus Ex on high with no trouble at all... but I feel like there are some other things I should check. It appeared that the box hadn't been opened, and it is in mint condition. Still, better safe then sorry, right??

What is the best way to go about checking this computer for any major problems? Like a good program to verify harddrive or RAM integrity or anything like that?

I've even gone out of my way to ensure stuff I don't regularly use works too; Bluetooth, wireless, the webcam, and the speakers don't seem blown.

I *may* have lucked out. ;)

open box deals mostly means somebody bought it, opened it didn't like the color or size and returned it. If something was broken I wouldn't expect newegg to be selling it.

regardless, you could go to build systems sections and check what desktop builders usually use to test new rigs.

like for CPU stress test you can use prime95, which helps determine if overclock is stable, but you can see how well your CPU copes without overclock. It will probably give a good test to the cooling system too.

for ram you can test with memtest86, but since you probably won't be pulling RAM sticks out, it's not that helpful. (it's recommended to run each stick 1 by 1)

hdd testing, typically there isn't much that would go wrong with these clonkers that wouldn't be picked up by smart monitoring. you could try checking here
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
depending on the manufacturer for your HDD
or google for win data lifeguard it's in depth hdd diagnostic will give you a piece of mind

check this link too: http://www.carrona.org/diag.html

you could get MSI afterburner for GPU monitoring/ clock control

But my guess is, if you haven't found anything wrong with it in a week, it's probably going to serve you well for its lifetime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.