Replacing Dimension 8200 PSU - advice please

I'm going to replace the 250W PSU in my Dimension 8200 (2.0Ghz - built
January 2001 UK) with a 400W.

I've googled on this and found a number of worrying reports that due to
non-ATX compliance that a standard ATX PSU could fry the mobo.

Anyone got a definitve answer as to whether the Dimension 8200 takes a
standard PSU?
19 answers Last reply
More about replacing dimension 8200 advice please

    Pinout found here;
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101565
    This is standard ATX.

    "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote in message
    > I'm going to replace the 250W PSU in my Dimension 8200 (2.0Ghz - built
    > January 2001 UK) with a 400W.
    >
    > I've googled on this and found a number of worrying reports that due
    > to non-ATX compliance that a standard ATX PSU could fry the mobo.
    >
    > Anyone got a definitve answer as to whether the Dimension 8200 takes a
    > standard PSU?

    It's a proprietary PSU, however, replacements are available. (Search the
    Internet.) You'll pay more than you would for a 'standard' PSU.

    Having said that, Dell PSUs are known for being conservatively rated. What
    could you possibly need 400W for?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote in message
    > I'm going to replace the 250W PSU in my Dimension 8200 (2.0Ghz - built
    > January 2001 UK) with a 400W.
    >
    > I've googled on this and found a number of worrying reports that due to
    > non-ATX compliance that a standard ATX PSU could fry the mobo.
    >
    > Anyone got a definitve answer as to whether the Dimension 8200 takes a
    > standard PSU?

    Standard ATX with additional 12v connector as required by P4 motherboards.

    .... Ben Myers

    "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Pinout found here;
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101565
    > This is standard ATX.

    Excellent, thank you.

    I searched on Dell's site (UK) but couldn't find this anywhere.

    You're welcome.

    > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Pinout found here;
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101565
    >> This is standard ATX.
    >>

    > Excellent, thank you.
    >
    > I searched on Dell's site (UK) but couldn't find this anywhere.

    "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote in message

    > "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Pinout found here;
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101565
    >> This is standard ATX.
    >>

    > Excellent, thank you.
    >
    > I searched on Dell's site (UK) but couldn't find this anywhere.

    Be aware (as has been posted in this ng before many times) of the physical
    dimensions of the new power supply, and also that the Dell case may have to
    be cut/altered to accomodate any external PS on/off switch on the back of
    the machine.

    Stew

    I agree, I think you're solving the wrong problem.

    Tom
    > It's a proprietary PSU, however, replacements are available. (Search the
    > Internet.) You'll pay more than you would for a 'standard' PSU.
    >
    > Having said that, Dell PSUs are known for being conservatively rated. What
    > could you possibly need 400W for?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote in message
    >> I'm going to replace the 250W PSU in my Dimension 8200 (2.0Ghz - built
    >> January 2001 UK) with a 400W.
    >>
    >> I've googled on this and found a number of worrying reports that due to
    >> non-ATX compliance that a standard ATX PSU could fry the mobo.
    >>
    >> Anyone got a definitve answer as to whether the Dimension 8200 takes a
    >> standard PSU?

    > It's a proprietary PSU, however, replacements are available. (Search the
    > Internet.) You'll pay more than you would for a 'standard' PSU.
    >
    > Having said that, Dell PSUs are known for being conservatively rated. What
    > could you possibly need 400W for?
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar

    I haven't been able to find a supplier for replacement Dell PSU's in the UK.
    Anyone out there?

    Note that the additional power requirements have arisen after replacing a
    Gf2 Ti500 with a Radeon 9700 Pro.

    I'm also running a second (PCI) graphics card servicing two monitors (total
    of three). Add to that two HDD's, a floppy and two optical drives and 250W
    does seem 'tight' at best.

    >> It's a proprietary PSU, however, replacements are available. (Search the
    >> Internet.) You'll pay more than you would for a 'standard' PSU.
    >>
    >> Having said that, Dell PSUs are known for being conservatively rated.
    >> What
    >> could you possibly need 400W for?
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >
    > I haven't been able to find a supplier for replacement Dell PSU's in the
    > UK. Anyone out there?
    >
    > Note that the additional power requirements have arisen after replacing a
    > Gf2 Ti500 with a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    >
    > I'm also running a second (PCI) graphics card servicing two monitors
    > (total of three). Add to that two HDD's, a floppy and two optical drives
    > and 250W does seem 'tight' at best.

    That machine actually had an option to ship with the (Dell OEM) version of
    the Radeon 9700, requiring a direct plug in to the systems' power supply.

    I would give the OEM supply a try first. I'm betting it will do fine.

    Stew

    I won't dissuade you from purchasing a new PSU if you wish, but I do believe
    Dell's original PSU will be more than adequate to power the hardware you
    describe. Why not try it before you go to the time and considerable expense
    of purchasing a new unit? The power requirements typically described by
    manufacturers for their video cards are wildly excessive.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote in message

    > > It's a proprietary PSU, however, replacements are available. (Search the
    > > Internet.) You'll pay more than you would for a 'standard' PSU.
    > >
    > > Having said that, Dell PSUs are known for being conservatively rated.
    What
    > > could you possibly need 400W for?
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > I haven't been able to find a supplier for replacement Dell PSU's in the
    UK.
    > Anyone out there?
    >
    > Note that the additional power requirements have arisen after replacing a
    > Gf2 Ti500 with a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    >
    > I'm also running a second (PCI) graphics card servicing two monitors
    (total
    > of three). Add to that two HDD's, a floppy and two optical drives and
    250W
    > does seem 'tight' at best.

    I have the exact same power supply (or close) in my 4550. I run an ATI
    Radeon 9800 Pro and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. I also have a gigabit card and
    the SB Audigy 2 with Firewire. I have three internal hard drives and a DVD
    burner. Gotta believe a hard drive is more power than an optical drive. I
    run 6 external drives, 5 HD and 1 DVD, 2 of which get their power from the
    USB ports.

    Everything runs flawlessly.

    Tom

    >I have the exact same power supply (or close) in my 4550. I run an ATI
    >Radeon 9800 Pro and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. I also have a gigabit card and
    >the SB Audigy 2 with Firewire. I have three internal hard drives and a DVD
    >burner. Gotta believe a hard drive is more power than an optical drive. I
    >run 6 external drives, 5 HD and 1 DVD, 2 of which get their power from the
    >USB ports.
    >
    > Everything runs flawlessly.
    >
    > Tom

    I think that pretty much sums it up unless the OP just wants blue LED lights
    emanating from the internals of his PS.

    Stew

    > >I have the exact same power supply (or close) in my 4550. I run an
    ATI
    > >Radeon 9800 Pro and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. I also have a gigabit
    card and
    > >the SB Audigy 2 with Firewire. I have three internal hard drives and
    a DVD
    > >burner. Gotta believe a hard drive is more power than an optical
    drive. I
    > >run 6 external drives, 5 HD and 1 DVD, 2 of which get their power
    from the
    > >USB ports.
    > >
    > > Everything runs flawlessly.
    > >
    > > Tom
    >

    > I think that pretty much sums it up unless the OP just wants blue LED
    lights
    > emanating from the internals of his PS.
    >

    > Stew

    Running an early Dim. 8200 here that has a 9800pro, CD/RW, DVD-RW,
    4 internal drives (one mounted outside the case),
    PCI controller card for the drives, Soundblaster Audigy,
    add on USB 2 card, US Robotics hardware modem,
    4 separate external drives through the USB card
    (one has an independent PS), Optical USB mouse, two memory card readers
    (one 6 slot and one CF that I keep a mini drive in) USB scanner, plus a
    couple extra internal fans (slot fan and one on the front panel)
    All running for about 2 years with no problem on the factory
    power supply. Since I have owned this machine I have replaced,
    a total of two items. The motherboard (had a strange intermittent
    glitch reading the C:drive) and one CPU fan.

    Steve W.

    >I have the exact same power supply (or close) in my 4550. I run an ATI
    >Radeon 9800 Pro and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. I also have a gigabit card and
    >the SB Audigy 2 with Firewire. I have three internal hard drives and a DVD
    >burner. Gotta believe a hard drive is more power than an optical drive. I
    >run 6 external drives, 5 HD and 1 DVD, 2 of which get their power from the
    >USB ports.
    >
    > Everything runs flawlessly.
    >
    > Tom

    I'm increasingly of the opinion that you and other posters are correct.
    I've removed a number of components, including the second VGA card and get
    exactly the same problem. Thanks for your advice (and to others) as this
    has saved me the cost and hassle.

    Using a tweak utility I raised the core clock - the sparkles (artifacts) get
    worse immediately. I dropped the core clock, the sparkles get worse
    immediately - so I don't think it's a temperature issue as there would be
    some delay.

    I tried the above, but with the 3D application running in a window. Only in
    the window did I get the sparkles (artifacts), the rest of the screen was
    fine.

    Dxdiag also tells me that direct draw, direct 3D and AGP texture
    acceleration are all 'not available'.

    Any suggestions?

    Sparkles??? New information. There are artifacts appearing on one of the
    monitors on your system? If so, give serious thought to the possibility that a
    graphics card is failing.

    I have replaced a number of failing or failed graphics cards on clients' systems
    in recent months. The usual symptom is the appearance of artifacts or shadowing
    on the screen. The usual cause is improper cooling of the graphics chip due to
    poor ventilation in the case or (more likely) poorly designed ventilation on the
    card itself. If a graphics card uses a cheap cooling fan or if the cooling fan
    fails due to dust and dirt or cheap manufacture, the graphics chip overheats and
    the dielectric inside begins to break down. The most frequent graphics card
    failures are the cards with nVidia chips, but no modern "hot" graphics card is
    immune to failure from overheating.

    Or, as you've implied with your questions, the graphics software may be pretty
    badly hosed if direct draw, direct 3D and AGP texture acceleration are all 'not
    available'. Aren't some of these capabilities optionally supported by a
    graphics card and driver? Have you reinstalled graphics drivers and supporting
    software or installed the latest versions?

    .... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:15:22 +0000 (UTC), "777" <777@anemail.address> wrote:

    >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>I have the exact same power supply (or close) in my 4550. I run an ATI
    >>Radeon 9800 Pro and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI. I also have a gigabit card and
    >>the SB Audigy 2 with Firewire. I have three internal hard drives and a DVD
    >>burner. Gotta believe a hard drive is more power than an optical drive. I
    >>run 6 external drives, 5 HD and 1 DVD, 2 of which get their power from the
    >>USB ports.
    >>
    >> Everything runs flawlessly.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >
    >I'm increasingly of the opinion that you and other posters are correct.
    >I've removed a number of components, including the second VGA card and get
    >exactly the same problem. Thanks for your advice (and to others) as this
    >has saved me the cost and hassle.
    >
    >Using a tweak utility I raised the core clock - the sparkles (artifacts) get
    >worse immediately. I dropped the core clock, the sparkles get worse
    >immediately - so I don't think it's a temperature issue as there would be
    >some delay.
    >
    >I tried the above, but with the 3D application running in a window. Only in
    >the window did I get the sparkles (artifacts), the rest of the screen was
    >fine.
    >
    >Dxdiag also tells me that direct draw, direct 3D and AGP texture
    >acceleration are all 'not available'.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Ben (and everyone else) that's exactly what happened to me. First there were
    artifacts appearing on my monitor and shortly thereafter the image degraded
    to what we used to call in the 60's a "bad trip." The video card had, in
    fact, fried. I don't blame this on Dell necessarily, since I subsequently
    learned that nVidia cards were experiencing relatively high burnout rates
    for a while. Who knows if Dell's case design contributed to my video card's
    demise, however, the ATi card I purchased as replacement has lasted longer
    than the original nVidia card.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Ben (and everyone else) that's exactly what happened to me. First there
    > were
    > artifacts appearing on my monitor and shortly thereafter the image
    > degraded
    > to what we used to call in the 60's a "bad trip." The video card had, in
    > fact, fried. I don't blame this on Dell necessarily, since I subsequently
    > learned that nVidia cards were experiencing relatively high burnout rates
    > for a while. Who knows if Dell's case design contributed to my video
    > card's
    > demise, however, the ATi card I purchased as replacement has lasted longer
    > than the original nVidia card.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar

    What I've been having real problems getting my head around is why I get
    sparkles (artifacts if you will) just in the window (note window not
    monitor) in which a 3D application is running. The rest of the screen is
    fine.

    While I'm increasingly of an opinion that throwing away the 9700 and going
    back to another Nvidia card is the way forward, I'm on a bit of a mission to
    understand the problem now. (And thanks to everyone that has posted BTW).

    Have another machine you could test the card in?
    I'd ask you to send it to me and I'd test it but the shipping would be
    more hassle than it is worth...

    --
    Steve

    "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message news:4189c2ea$1_5@127.0.0.1...
    > Have another machine you could test the card in?

    Yup, works fine.

Dell Dimension ATX Computers