Dell: Intel's Atom in Small Businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wouldn't businesses be better off with an Intel Celeron or a low power AMD Athlon (single/dual) core?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]soupheadb[/nom]Wouldn't businesses be better off with an Intel Celeron or a low power AMD Athlon (single/dual) core?[/citation]

i agree, atom is way to get more money from older hardware.

sure new cpus are overkill, who needs a quad core to read their email.

people would save money and get better performance from using older amds. i still like dual cores over single cores, you get a better experience.

then again who needs vista, windows xp is much better, most businesses just dont need vista and 3-4 gb bloat tax for running vista over xp which does nicely with 512-1gb

since xp will not be an option soon, linus really gets an opportunity to deliver a desktop distribution that runs on low end amd with 512-1gb and that does things that most people do. like email, web browsing, basic word processing and spreadsheet, photos, music, ect

microsoft i think is making a big mistake dropping xp and forcing people into higher end hardware. i mean i need 2 gb just to run vista smoothly, that's nuts.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I have a few older pentium M based laptops at my desk. There running XP Pro with 2 gigs of ram. They are so slow I could double click on word and go take a walk around the block before they would launch the app. Simply forget about multitasking at all. We maybe spoiled here with nice speedy newer equiptment but it makes a serious difference on my productivity. Now I'm aware that an Atom Processor has about 1/2 to 1/4 that much power. If I was issued one of those to replace my D630 I would probably just quit.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]average joe[/nom]It'd be like telling a construction worker to park his bulldozer and use this garden trowel instead. Think of the savings!![/citation]

nicely put

G

It's definitely good enough for SAP, which most companies work with.
I'd not buy a netbook, but rather something like an Eeebox,or a Nano platform box.

G

a cpu won't do without a brain
intel outside and then the processor, cause the proc cannot chose its software

Status
Not open for further replies.