Mixing movement modes in the same round

Let's say a PC needs to climb over a wall, run , jump over the pit,
dive into and swim through a stream in the same round. Assuming that
PC is fast enough in all the modes of movement, how should the cost of
the movement be calculated?

Let's say the a creature has Speed = 30 and Flying Speed= 50, should
the highest speed be used as a limit of how many squares a creature can
move when mixing walking and flying in the same round?

I was going to say the same thing. Not sure if there is a "real" rule
for this or not but thats what I would rule.

On 28 Jun 2005 10:42:04 -0700, cyberhawk777@hotmail.com wrote:

>Let's say a PC needs to climb over a wall, run , jump over the pit,
>dive into and swim through a stream in the same round. Assuming that
>PC is fast enough in all the modes of movement, how should the cost of
>the movement be calculated?
>
>Let's say the a creature has Speed = 30 and Flying Speed= 50, should
>the highest speed be used as a limit of how many squares a creature can
>move when mixing walking and flying in the same round?

If I were faced with the problem I would divide the round into say
millirounds and figure out how many were used in each phase of
movement. No big deal with a calculator.

cyberhawk777@hotmail.com wrote:
> Let's say a PC needs to climb over a wall, run , jump over the pit,
> dive into and swim through a stream in the same round. Assuming that
> PC is fast enough in all the modes of movement, how should the cost of
> the movement be calculated?
>
> Let's say the a creature has Speed = 30 and Flying Speed= 50, should
> the highest speed be used as a limit of how many squares a creature
> can move when mixing walking and flying in the same round?

The way I handle it - which I think is correct, but I'm not sure - is to
treat movement speeds proportionally. So, for instance, if a character with
land speed 30 and fly speed 50 walks 15 feet and then starts flying, he's
used half his movement and has half remaining, thus he can fly a further 25
feet on a single move. Round figures down to the nearest 5 feet for
simplicity.

--
Mark.