Help Needed to Reset Monitor

I was playing with the resolution settings on my monitor. I set the
resolution to 1600x1200, 32 bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate. The
monitor promptly went into "sleep mode" (light went from green to
orange). I can't get the monitor to wake up. I checked the user
manual and found that my monitor only supports that resolution at 80
Hz, so that explains why it is going into sleep mode. My questionis,
how do I fix my monitor settings if I can't get it to wake up?

The problem occured while I was booted into Windows 98 (dual boot). I
have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. First I tried holding down
F8. When that didn't work, I tried holding down Control. In each
case, the monitor goes into sleep mode before I can tell if I'm in
Safe Mode or not. What should I do next?

Configuration:
Monitor: Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" CRT
Video: Vision GeForce 3 Ti 200
Computer: Dell XPS R 400 upgraded to a 1 GHz Pentium III, 512MB Memory
OS: Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot
Boot Mgr: Boot Magic

Thanks,
--WB
2 answers Last reply
More about help needed reset monitor

    First use the setup function that the monitor has .. those buttons on the
    front.. set it at
    the right resolution and the save it.
    Then power up the pc and use the key to get into your bios.. some it is ESC
    or F1, F2 etc what ever for your system, my Dell uses Delete key.
    Once that works, reboot using the F8 and see what you get.. should be in
    safe mode.. to make your change

    "wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I was playing with the resolution settings on my monitor. I set the
    > resolution to 1600x1200, 32 bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate. The
    > monitor promptly went into "sleep mode" (light went from green to
    > orange). I can't get the monitor to wake up. I checked the user
    > manual and found that my monitor only supports that resolution at 80
    > Hz, so that explains why it is going into sleep mode. My questionis,
    > how do I fix my monitor settings if I can't get it to wake up?
    >
    > The problem occured while I was booted into Windows 98 (dual boot). I
    > have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. First I tried holding down
    > F8. When that didn't work, I tried holding down Control. In each
    > case, the monitor goes into sleep mode before I can tell if I'm in
    > Safe Mode or not. What should I do next?
    >
    > Configuration:
    > Monitor: Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" CRT
    > Video: Vision GeForce 3 Ti 200
    > Computer: Dell XPS R 400 upgraded to a 1 GHz Pentium III, 512MB Memory
    > OS: Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot
    > Boot Mgr: Boot Magic
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --WB

    Mohawk,
    Thanks for responding. I was able to solve the problem before I saw
    your post. I disabled Boot Magic so that the computer would boot
    directly into Windows 98, which seemed to make it easier to get into
    safe mode. Once into safe mode, I installed the "Standard PCI
    Graphics Adapter (VAG)" device driver and rebooted. I assumed I would
    have to reinstall the Nvidia drivers, but that was not the case. The
    computer booted using the Nvidia drivers at 1600x1200, but now the
    refresh rate was only 60 Hz, so of course the monitor did not go into
    "sleep mode". All I had to do was reset the resolution back to my
    normal 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz. Again, thanks for the help.
    --wishbone

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:46:12 -0600, "Mohawk Brewing" <mohawkbrewing at
    yahoo.com> wrote:

    >First use the setup function that the monitor has .. those buttons on the
    >front.. set it at
    >the right resolution and the save it.
    >Then power up the pc and use the key to get into your bios.. some it is ESC
    >or F1, F2 etc what ever for your system, my Dell uses Delete key.
    >Once that works, reboot using the F8 and see what you get.. should be in
    >safe mode.. to make your change
    >
    >"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I was playing with the resolution settings on my monitor. I set the
    >> resolution to 1600x1200, 32 bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate. The
    >> monitor promptly went into "sleep mode" (light went from green to
    >> orange). I can't get the monitor to wake up. I checked the user
    >> manual and found that my monitor only supports that resolution at 80
    >> Hz, so that explains why it is going into sleep mode. My questionis,
    >> how do I fix my monitor settings if I can't get it to wake up?
    >>
    >> The problem occured while I was booted into Windows 98 (dual boot). I
    >> have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. First I tried holding down
    >> F8. When that didn't work, I tried holding down Control. In each
    >> case, the monitor goes into sleep mode before I can tell if I'm in
    >> Safe Mode or not. What should I do next?
    >>
    >> Configuration:
    >> Monitor: Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" CRT
    >> Video: Vision GeForce 3 Ti 200
    >> Computer: Dell XPS R 400 upgraded to a 1 GHz Pentium III, 512MB Memory
    >> OS: Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot
    >> Boot Mgr: Boot Magic
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> --WB

Dell Sleep Mode Resolution Monitors Computers