Help Needed to Reset Monitor

I was playing with the resolution settings on my monitor. I set the
resolution to 1600x1200, 32 bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate. The
monitor promptly went into "sleep mode" (light went from green to
orange). I can't get the monitor to wake up. I checked the user
manual and found that my monitor only supports that resolution at 80
Hz, so that explains why it is going into sleep mode. My questionis,
how do I fix my monitor settings if I can't get it to wake up?

The problem occured while I was booted into Windows 98 (dual boot). I
have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. First I tried holding down
F8. When that didn't work, I tried holding down Control. In each
case, the monitor goes into sleep mode before I can tell if I'm in
Safe Mode or not. What should I do next?

Configuration:
Monitor: Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" CRT
Video: Vision GeForce 3 Ti 200
Computer: Dell XPS R 400 upgraded to a 1 GHz Pentium III, 512MB Memory
OS: Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot
Boot Mgr: Boot Magic

Thanks,
--WB

First use the setup function that the monitor has .. those buttons on the
front.. set it at
the right resolution and the save it.
Then power up the pc and use the key to get into your bios.. some it is ESC
or F1, F2 etc what ever for your system, my Dell uses Delete key.
Once that works, reboot using the F8 and see what you get.. should be in
safe mode.. to make your change

"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I was playing with the resolution settings on my monitor. I set the
> resolution to 1600x1200, 32 bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate. The
> monitor promptly went into "sleep mode" (light went from green to
> orange). I can't get the monitor to wake up. I checked the user
> manual and found that my monitor only supports that resolution at 80
> Hz, so that explains why it is going into sleep mode. My questionis,
> how do I fix my monitor settings if I can't get it to wake up?
>
> The problem occured while I was booted into Windows 98 (dual boot). I
> have not been able to boot into Safe Mode. First I tried holding down
> F8. When that didn't work, I tried holding down Control. In each
> case, the monitor goes into sleep mode before I can tell if I'm in
> Safe Mode or not. What should I do next?
>
> Configuration:
> Monitor: Iiyama Vision Master 450 19" CRT
> Video: Vision GeForce 3 Ti 200
> Computer: Dell XPS R 400 upgraded to a 1 GHz Pentium III, 512MB Memory
> OS: Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot
> Boot Mgr: Boot Magic
>
> Thanks,
> --WB

Mohawk,
Thanks for responding. I was able to solve the problem before I saw
your post. I disabled Boot Magic so that the computer would boot
directly into Windows 98, which seemed to make it easier to get into
safe mode. Once into safe mode, I installed the "Standard PCI
Graphics Adapter (VAG)" device driver and rebooted. I assumed I would
have to reinstall the Nvidia drivers, but that was not the case. The
computer booted using the Nvidia drivers at 1600x1200, but now the
refresh rate was only 60 Hz, so of course the monitor did not go into
"sleep mode". All I had to do was reset the resolution back to my
normal 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz. Again, thanks for the help.
--wishbone