Your question

Windows freezes halfway through logo screen

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2013 4:14:20 AM

my windows 7 freezes halfway through the log screen, it the restarts and says
start windows normally
and windows repair

i have tryed to repair it multiply times and each time it has sayed that their is a corrupted acl
what does this mean and how can i fix it.
this came about after i tryed to overclock the cpu and accidently put the voltage of the cpu up and the frequence of the northbridge to 4ghz
my specs are
fx 6300
asrock pro3 970
8gb corsair vengeance
samsung 64gb boot drive ssd
saphire 7850

please help i just got battelfield 3 and i kinda want to log a bit more than 3 hours this weekend
btw i do not have an optical drive but i have bought one and it will be here in the next couple of weeks.
thank you any suggestions are appreciated
March 3, 2013 4:21:45 AM

Use a restore point before you made the mistake. Also, try to avoid software overclocking. It can create issues with windows. Just do it from the bios.

You can access system restore by putting in the windows disk, or in your case putting it on a usb drive. If don't have another computer to do that you will have to wait for the drive.
m
l
March 3, 2013 5:06:18 AM

i also forgot to say that their is a bsod just after the windows logo pauses. does this put a spanner in the works.?
and i dont think i am going to try overclocking again for a long while
btw thanks for the reply
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2013 5:15:44 AM

No a system restore should be able to reverse the effects of a software overclock.

Overclocking can be quite run, so long as you know how to reverse the possible damage or avoid it all together. Both come from experience.
m
l
March 3, 2013 6:39:45 AM

sorry forgot to tell you it was bios overclocking and after your second post i found out that it wasnt the ssd because it works in another computer, but when i put a working hardrive in it still put up bsod and restarted.
any idea now.
sorry about the trouble
m
l
March 4, 2013 3:23:35 AM

Did you restore the bios to default? If you did set bios to default and it still bsods at start just load up the windows install disc (either through usb or Dvd) and see if the repair can fix it. If not you will have to do a repair install of windows 7, which keeps all your files.

here is a guide to do that:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-instal...

Any questions, just ask.
m
l
March 4, 2013 5:21:27 AM

have tried all of that stuff but i still get bsod, i dont think it is a boot disk issue is it possible it is a hardware issue? thanks for the help really appreciated
m
l
March 5, 2013 3:32:05 AM

You have tried doing a repair install of windows? If you can try to test possible problem components. In your case: Motherboard, CPU, and ram in another computer. Ram should be easy to test but the motherboard and cpu may be tricky to isolate without another system to use. You voided the CPU warranty when you overclocked, but I guess you can try to return it; it's more of an ethical question for yourself. On the other hand, many motherboard manufacturer's allow overclocking, so this should be the part you RMA first if and only if you cannot isolate whether it's the cpu or the motherboard.

Unfortunately this is where my knowldge ends, as I am no electrical engineer. You may want to search google for ways to isolate the CPU/Motherboard before you send them in for RMA. Also just in case you don't know what isolating a component is, it's factoring out other parts to come to the conclusion where one part is specifically targeted. An example of this would be to take a questionable stick of ram and putting it into a compatible motherboard, making sure it works correctly.
m
l
March 5, 2013 6:38:01 AM

yeh thanks for your help i will probs rma mobo and cpu and if i cant rma will get intel mobo cpu and one i cant overclock. i probs gunna rms because the people who i buy of have low prices but have realy bad customer service and they dont send things away until i call them 3 weeks after the order asking why, they then say they have sent it and sent it via express mail instead of normal to make it seem like the sent it earlier. thanks again for help :) 
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:26:59 AM

Good luck to ya! Hope your next OC goes much better than this one. A quick tip I could give you is that you should only raise the voltage when an overclock has become unstable. For example, lets say you raise the core multiplier by 1 and your computer crashes a few times a day. Up the Vcore by 1 increment(I state increment because the amount varies mobo to mobo). If you still don't get stability, then lower your core multiplier. This won't achieve your maximum overclock, but it will go along way to ensuring that you don't damage parts.

Most of the time I don't even have to touch voltage as I am satisfied with the overclock I an usually able to achieve without upping it. Oh and don't touch the northbridge frequency and/or other voltage settings. They are for when you want to do a more extreme overclock and you most likely won't ever need them. For the easiest Overclocking experience, just up the multiplier on a black edition or the front side bus on a non-black edition.

Also if you need help with the intel cpu I can help you there too! Just gonna say this now, be carefull when socketing an intel proccesor as the pins are MUCH more delicate and will bend if the tip of your finger touches them(or the bottom of the cpu moves sideways).
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:52:26 AM

ok thanks for all you help.
m
l
!