Fatburger et al -- Which CPU?!?!?

BigRollTide

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
OK...I can't decide but I have to do something soon. I am still on a PII 450 :(

If I were to go out and buy a PC next week (after Thoroughbred release), should I get an Athlon or P4? There are so many arguments for either, but please consider this when answering:

1) I want something that is going to last about a year and a half.
2) I do not mind overclocking, but do not want to spend a ton of money on some Vapochill, etc.
3) I want to play Morrowind and Quake3 based games with no problems.

What do you suggest for:

CPU
Mboard
Memory
Video Card
Sound Card

Thanks a TON!

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Before we start, what type of budget are you on?

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you may want to consider getting the P4 because the P4 performs better than AXP in quake engine-based games...but you wanna wait for a review of the Tbred (which will be out on countless websites on june 10th) before making a final decision.

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Get one of those flat square ones with all the pins on the bottom, they work best.

CPU: P4 1.8A
Motherboard: Abit TH7II
RAM: 512MB of Samsung PC800
Video: Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200
Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Total from Newegg (excluding shipping): $661

Note about the Ti4200: the model I priced does not have TV-out or DVI. The model with those is $14 more. Your call if you want it or not. It's probably worth $14, but I'll leave it up to you. Also, the Ti4200 has 3.5ns RAM, as opposed to the Ti4400, which has 3.6ns. I don't know if this is specific to the brand or certain shipment, or if all Ti4200s and Ti4400s are that way. The better RAM would ensure better OCing, but you shouldn't need to OC for a good while.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
hey burger...is the ti4200 of the 64mb or 128mb flavor?

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:

BigRollTide

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Budget...well I was thinking about getting a tbird 2200 next week with a KT333 mboard (until this kt333 meltdown), a Samsung 512 MB DDR chip, and a ti4200. So something around $700-800.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What do you suggest for:

CPU
Mboard
Memory
Video Card
Sound Card
What about a new case (and/or power supply) and hard drive? Do you already have those picked out or did you just forget to list them?

Plus, if you go Athlon, you'll probably want a recommendation on a heat sink.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>pr479 says:</i>
is the ti4200 of the 64mb or 128mb flavor?
Sorry, it's 64MB. The 128MB one was ~$50 more, which isn't bad considering.

<i>BigRollTide says:</i>
will you buy it too!
Sorry? If you're asking if I would be happy with this being my computer, then yes I would. I'd never recommend something I wouldn't use myself, if I was in the same situation (budget, what the computer is used for, etc).

<i>BigRollTide says:</i>
why Rambus?
Because it offers the best performance for the P4.

<i>Labdog says:</i>
a p4 & a gf4. ahahahah.
Hahahahaha
Wait...I don't get it.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
sorry, i cant speak for everyone. im & stay Labdog.

whatever, because i would like to stay polite, friendly & kind this time, i willnt answer you.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know</font color=white>, the way could be more easy ...