Ps2 keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohansamal

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
my ps2 keyboard is not working . it flickers when i start the pc but after that it is off. i have tried rebooting and replugging the keyboard but no use :(.
please help

Mortuuslepus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Have you tried booting your computer with the keyboard plugged in the whole time? Unlike USB, PS/2 only detects at startup. it won't detect the keyboard if you plug it in after the computer is already running.

also @ kjwinden, that's kind of a cop-out answer; plenty of keyboards still use the ps/2 interface, and telling him to get a new keyboard really does nothing to resolve the problem at hand...

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Ps2 keyboards arent worth troubleshooting end of story. It would be like troubleshooting your VCR- its dead technology.

The Ps2 connectors are notorious for crapping out time and time again whereas USB keyboards and mice are much more reliable. Even the Ps2 to USB or USB to Ps2 converter connectors are notorious for crapping out BECAUSE IT INVOLVES PS2.

Also Mr. Mortuuspus if you read his posting closely you'll notice he starts out by saying "it flickers when i start the pc but after that it is off," implying he has it plugged in but then ceases operation AT BOOTUP.

So rohansamal...I still recommend...get a new keyboard.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
We all think that PS2 keyboard/mouse are dead devices in this day and age however, the latest Asus motherboard that supports Windows 8 actually has the PS2 mouse/keyboard ports. for example, M5A97 LE R2.0
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_LE_R20/#specifications

Just try reseating the keyboard, you may have not pushed it in properly or it somehow became disconnected. If the IO panel for the rear ports is not fitted correctly, it can cause the fitting for mouse/keyboard/usb cables etc to be improper and make connection erratic or not at all.

The thing about PS2 is that you can reseat the keyboard/mouse at anytime without restarting. It's like a hot-plug device.

On boot up, the light on the keyboard should be on but as soon as the POST has past, the light should go off. The only other time you see the light on a keyboard is when you have CAPS LOCK or SCROLL LOCK enabled.

Edit - Some bioses have the option for PS2 disabled by default, you can use them in the bios but not thereafter, just enable that option for Legacy devices or mouse/keyboard.

Edit2 - If you have both usb and PS2, both should be able to work, one does NOT cancel out the other.

Edit3 - you may see conflicting arguments regarding whether you can plug the PS2 devices at anytime or only at startup, with XP, there were never those issues however, with Windows 7 or later, I don't think that any of us are really that sure of either of the arguments.

Markku Niiranen

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

Got same insane problem and no USB keyboard around. Luckily had a laptop.... do this: make xxxx.bat file and put there line "regedit" and run the .bat (from USB stick using USB mouse) and edit InHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt,, edit the Startvalue and set it to a hex or decimal value of 1. -> Reboot and P/S2 works now.

Reactions: Reece Fuller

carl fonville

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

My mouse was working fine until this morning. I tried the above fix and it worked the first time. Thank you very much for finding a solution to this issue.

ajhoane

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
>Got same insane problem and no USB keyboard around. Luckily had a laptop.... do this: make xxxx.bat file and >put there line "regedit" and run the .bat (from USB stick using USB mouse) and edit In >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt, edit the Start value and set it to a hex >or decimal value of 1. -> Reboot and P/S2 works now. [/quotemsg]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PS/2 keyboard users, I signed up to post this just because it is so frustrating.

I have a different solution. The BIOS handles the PS/2 natively, but it's quite flaky, so here is what I have to do to key my Model M to work (One of 7 I have which I hope will last me the rest of my life) on Win7 (my (old) Terabyte Linux backup software sees the PS/2 just fine and doesn't see the USB 3.0 at all.):

Win 7 wouldn't let me edit that i8042prt value. Turns out there's something funky in the BIOS.

My motherboard is a new MSI Z87-G45 with the stupid fancy BIOS

To get Win7 to use PS/2 keyboard, boot to BIOS (have to perform each time you change a piece of hardware, SATA, Graphics card, etc.) Procedure:

1. shutdown.
2. Plug in both USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard
3. Boot to BIOS (hitting del on my USB keyboard, because it won't see the PS/2 keyboard)
4. Hot unplug the USB keyboard while in the BIOS
5. Exit the BIOS with the "Save and Exit" BIOS option (via USB mouse)
6. Win7 can see the PS/2 keyboard upon reboot.

This appears to be necessary every time the BIOS see a new SATA device. It does not appear to be necessary when you plug in a new USB device.

-- Joe

P.S. "Get a new keyboard" is really not helpful.

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Did this just happen after a recent Microsoft update? Because a lot of people are finding their ps/2 ports have quit working and problems with some pci-usb drivers. I have been trying to fix this for three days, but no solutions yet. Will write back when I find out just which update is messing things up. But you can probably be sure your mouse and keyboard are fine. Test them on another comp. if you can, just to be sure. In my case I was able to use one front usb hub to run a different mouse.

ajhoane

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Hi, updated answer here. My MSI-G45 is still a bit flaky handling the PS/2 keyboard. To get it to work after a power off,

1. Let the PC boot to Win7.
2. Use the USB mouse to hit "reboot" in Win7.
3. After the warm reboot, the PS/2 works.

Booting to the BIOS and using a USB keyboard seems to be unnecessary.

Since the MSI, I've also built a new ASUS motherboard computer. The ASUS handles the PS/2 keyboard flawlessly. The MSI still works as described in the 1st paragraph. So... if you have a PS/2 keyboard, you might want to stick with ASUS motherboards. Just a guess.

In my experience, this problem has nothing to do with any Microsoft update, but with a motherboard which just doesn't handle the PS/2 very well. I would suspect that the device the BIOS presents to Windows isn't quite correct the first time. Or some such fubar.

Joe

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

That is sort of correct in that it seems to be both a combination of Motherboard type and Windows security updates. I have a PDS Vector and an IBM XP3200 The PDS was unaffected (Though I use Wireless USB keyboard and Mouse with it.) However The IBM worked fine for the last two years until the latest updates, then the mouse started sticking at the log in screen, then after another security update stopped altogether. Other are having the same issue. So the update only seems to interfere with certain motherboards. I had to uninstall 10 different updates (8 of them security) and now it (the IBM) works just fine, no problems. Here is a list of reg changes that had to be deleted with the updates for it to work again, not sure it will help or not, I will include the primary updates that when singly installed also kept the ps/2 ports from starting.

some of the Updates removed: kb2913431, kb915597, kb979309, kb2621440, 2529703
(Sorry did not keep a whole list, it was trial and error remove one-install one and test until it worked.)

The registry changes needed to be removed from these updates were:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.enterpriseservices.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.configuration.install.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\wminet_utils.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.vsa.vb.codedomprocessor.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscordbi.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorrc.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\diasymreader.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\vsavb7rt.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\microsoft.jscript.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\mscorsec.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\iehost.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\system.data.dll

To be truthful I don't know which one (or combo) is the problem, It seems common to several security updates because I would install only one at a time and it would stop the ps/2 ports and one pci-usb hub from starting, so I would delete it and try another update then find that it did not work again. However deleting a total of 10 security updates did work. These updates targeted according to Microsoft the ability for someone to access your computer, but it also has the side effect of locking down the ps/2 drivers and returing a (code 10 "Device cannot start error") but only on some motherboards. They have no solution, this started with June and July 2014 updates for me. For me it is definitely Win 7 Updates.

Manhal223

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

PS2 is not a dead interface it has many advantages over the usb keyboard , so don't be an idiot and talk like you are a manufacturer if you don't mind.

Torquer1

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
I had a similar problem with my PS2 keyboard (an old Gateway2000 programmable that I love) on an MSI Z87-G45 motherboard. The keyboard would not work on first boot when the system was powered-on. If you then restarted Windows, without turning power off, it work then work reliably.

This was fixed with a recent BIOS update to AMI v1.8. It works perfectly all the time now. Hope this helps others.

trott3r

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I have a similiar problem with an ibm model m keyboard in the ps2 port.
The numeric keypad works fine in xp but doesnt in win 7 64bit professional.

Works fine in bios as well

ASRock fatality Z77

Ron Quesada

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
If you're that hard up to use a PS2 (old technology) keyboard. Then go into the bios and make sure it is set in there.

You can also try going to device manager and uninstalling it from there (leave drivers do not uninstall these when prompt, usually the second window), rebooting and see if it sets up again on its own. If not, try loading/installing the drivers again to see if that helps.

PS2 (anything) sucks! :??:
USB (Boner)! :D

albert425

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015

what do u mean by put there line "regedit" and run the .bat file? i dont get it.. how can i do it?.. ty in adv ^^

daniel ti

Reputable
May 15, 2015

its simple really. i recently had the same problem. beacause ists an olf interface the ps/2 keyboard does not permit hot plug. so basically, you just need to power off your computer.REMOVE THE POWER CABLE , and that is the most important part, and the plug in your ps/2 keyboard. now plug the cable back in, power it on and is should work just fine.
you probably bought a new keyboard by now, but... next time you'll know

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Actually, that was a basic first-step in trouble shooting, and did not work in this case, nor for a few others. Seems the more updated Win 7 becomes the more glitchy it can become with SOME older systems, there are others with jumpy mouse issues or click-through problems that also seem to be more recent. An original un-updated install seems to work quite well on the older models, but when fully updated some of these simple things just become glitchy.

I went to a USB keyboard and was done with it, but Ps2 is usually good to have for emergency recovery reasons if USB drivers or hardware quits working.

ElectricBob

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
carl,

i know this is an old thread but just wanted you to know that this worked perfectly for me. I have an asus m2n68-la motherboard in case others have the same problem.

ken

Programming4Life

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi PS/2 keyboard users, I signed up to post this just because it is so frustrating.

I have a different solution. The BIOS handles the PS/2 natively, but it's quite flaky, so here is what I have to do to key my Model M to work (One of 7 I have which I hope will last me the rest of my life) on Win7 (my (old) Terabyte Linux backup software sees the PS/2 just fine and doesn't see the USB 3.0 at all.):

Win 7 wouldn't let me edit that i8042prt value. Turns out there's something funky in the BIOS.

My motherboard is a new MSI Z87-G45 with the stupid fancy BIOS

To get Win7 to use PS/2 keyboard, boot to BIOS (have to perform each time you change a piece of hardware, SATA, Graphics card, etc.) Procedure:

1. shutdown.
2. Plug in both USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard
3. Boot to BIOS (hitting del on my USB keyboard, because it won't see the PS/2 keyboard)
4. Hot unplug the USB keyboard while in the BIOS
5. Exit the BIOS with the "Save and Exit" BIOS option (via USB mouse)
6. Win7 can see the PS/2 keyboard upon reboot.

This appears to be necessary every time the BIOS see a new SATA device. It does not appear to be necessary when you plug in a new USB device.

-- Joe

P.S. "Get a new keyboard" is really not helpful.

[/quotemsg]

I just logged in to upvote and say huge thanks, it worked to me...

Thank you. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS