Hammer delays

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/06060203.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/06060203.htm</A>

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, this is getting stupid. First I hear the Hammer will be released early, in August and now it's going to be delay? :eek:

Something smells fishy and I don't think it's AMD. :wink:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Maybe it's going to be delayed from its early release in August. I've heard that the release date went back to October.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i would prefer them to get it right first time with some delays, rather than rush it prematurely to market and have it do a <font color=blue>"coppermine 1133Mhz'</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ditto with the tbred.
undoubtedly they are having problems with it.. getting the bugs out and yields up to scratch.

so who wants a buggy processor? anyone?

<font color=blue>Pants Down! Turn Around! Bend Over! You're about to Experience Telstra broadband! :lol:

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
The inquirer's sources suck. Their info is from chipset manufacturers.. here are some quotes:

"Clawhammer, for example, is far from ready and may be delayed even beyond December"
I havnt seen or heard a remote hint that this is true.

"AMD was experiencing some real difficulties moving from .18 micron to .13 micron technology"

Sort of true.. performance isnt as bad as some would lead you to believe.

*** My main concern is why the inquirer is putting so much stock in what chipset manufacturers are saying. I seriously doubt AMD would share detailed info with them. For no other reason than they might leak it. I know AMD has had issues with the .13 transisition (thats a no brainer anyway). But its not as dire as the Inquirer article says.
FUD ALERT

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The inquirer's sources suck.

So FUGGER and AmdMELTDOWN were right after all, then? I remember everyone fighting for the right to use the Inquirer as a news source (you weren't around then, I don't think).

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Texas, my understanding on the .13 process was that the process transition was fine, but that something was overlooked in doing the actual CPU shrink that set things back a little for the TBred in particular. This only hurt performance of the chips being produced, with chips having relatively low speed grades for a die shrink. I believe AMD may have been using some of those earlier chips for the mobile market so it's no biggie.

As for Hammer rumors, the board makers and even the chipset developers have all only been given earlier hammer revs amounting to a real world 800 mhz chip (still outperforms a P4 1.6ghz running Quake 3 if Tech Channel is to be believed. So, double that real world speed in mhz and add some significant performance tuning and ewven running at 1.6ghz, the Hammer should outpefrorm any ther desktop CPU. However, I will reserve my full enthusiasm until I see more up to date benchmarks...from more than one site..on a hammer and motherboard/chipset closer to production ready.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
So FUGGER and AmdMELTDOWN were right after all, then? I remember everyone fighting for the right to use the Inquirer as a news source (you weren't around then, I don't think).

I think he meant in this case specifically, and also he explained why in his post.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I am a veteran from the ORGINAL TOMS DELPHI forum.... currently mainly over at the LAB on WEBVELOSIX.com with the other orginal members..

And we had the INQUIRER AS A NEWS SOURCE fight several times...

It boiled down to People wanting to use the INQUIRER when its suits their agenda.... and when it doesn't they bash the INQUIRER story

So now ... we just use it with a grain of salt.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thats how I pretty much think of it, I think you have to check what sources they use on a per story basis, if they use mobo contacts to talk about amd processors its gonna be less reliable than if they use amd contacts, I dont think the inq well makes stuff up, so its just a matter of reading their stories with the understanding that whoever gave them the story may not know the true story, if that makes any sense.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: