[d20 Modern] Campaign Ideas (Long)

Last response: in Video Games
June 28, 2005 7:21:01 PM

Looking for opinions and ideas here...

I'm considering a d20 Modern approach to urban fantasy in the Gaiman/de
Lint vein. Heavy on suspense, dial back the fantasy to preserve a sense
of the mysterious, and derive plot points from hidden magical elements
overlapping the "mundane" world. Kind of like "X-files," but with
hidden magic replacing the tinfoil hat element; or "Call of Cthulhu"
without the inevitable doom and a world saturated with evil.

Here are some setup ideas I'm knocking around; none of which are
particularly original, but are inspiring to me nonetheless:

1. Agents of the Church - This expands the cinematic cliche of the
Catholic Church as a vast, inscrutable organization guarding the
unknowable secrets of the world for thousands of years. The party are
non-clergy agents of the Church, investigating paranormal occurances
around the world; occurrences that the Church suspects hold sinister
origins. Adventure ideas revolve around "miracles," exorcisms,
hauntings, visions, ancient texts, Bible codes, and church artifacts.
Inspirations include movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Indiana
Jones and the Last Crusade," "Stigmata," "The Exorcist," "The Omen,"
"The Prophecy," "The Seventh Sign," etc.

2. Real Estate Woes - The party are all tied in some way to a locale
that seems to be a lighting rod for bizarre occurrences. Perhaps they
all live in a rundown residence hotel that happens to hold a gateway to
the fairy world, or they all work in a building with a bizarre secret.
Adventure ideas revolve around dealing with the phenomena assocated
with the location, investigating the location's past, and discovering
hidden features of the location itself (tunnels, sub-basements, gates
to Hell). Inspirations include "The Kingdom," "The Changeling,"
"House," "The Amityville Horror," the "Angel" TV series, and hundreds
of other takes on the theme.

3. Conan the Librarian - Similar to #2, the group is connected to a
library (antique shop, or similar) that contains "special" books that
have the power to bend reality according to their contents. Either the
party is investigating the library from the outside, or they work for
the library in the capacity of tracking down stray books, or adding
books to the library's collection. Adventure ideas involve rogue
spells, rituals gone awry, and stories "escaping" into the game world;
the party might have to go after Dracula himself, recover Pandora's Box
from a terrorist group, or rescue Peter Pan from the clutches of a
perverted musical celebrity. Inspirations include films like
"Neverending Story," the "Friday the 13th" TV series, "Needful Things,"
etc.

4. Lady and the Tramp d20 - Simply put, the party consists of Awakened
animals in a modern, urban setting. As such, they perceive things that
humans don't, and may be the world's last hope. Think Bunnies & Burrows
meets Shadowrun. Obviously, this may be the most lighthearted of all
the options here, but not without RP potential. Adventure ideas range
from simple survival to investigating the PCs origins, to dealing with
episodes of supernatural evil to which normal humans are blind.
Inspirations range from Watership Down to "Babe" to NiMH to "The Cat
from Outer Space."

5. The Forgotten - A diverse array of PCs all have one thing in common:
they were arrested for various crimes, and spend the same night in the
same holding cell. Upon awakening the next morning, they are suddenly
set free when no record of their arrest can be found in the police
department's systems or logs. As a matter of fact, the party quickly
discovers that there is no record or memory of any of them...anywhere.
Even family and spouses don't remember them, photos no longer include
them, and all assets and property that they didn't have on their person
at the time of their arrest are gone. The only clues they have are
each other, and envelopes containing their possessions and a few
"extra" items given to them (unwittingly by the police) when they were
released from jail. Obviously, adventure ideas stem from finding out
what the hell happened, and who is responsible, while simply surviving
in a world that doesn't remember them or their bank accounts.
Inspirations range from "The Fugitive" to "Memento," to "The Usual
Suspects."

6. The Redeye - Simple, overdone, but effective: the party members
begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
and a multitude of others.

So those are some concepts I'm kicking around. I'd love ideas or
thoughts on background story, metaplot, rules cautions, or adventure
ideas within the scope of these settings, or other campaign ideas
entirely. Some of these have long-term possibilities, while others only
lend themselves to a few games at most.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
> [...]
> begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
> unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
> in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
> phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
> a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
> man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
> town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
> Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
> and a multitude of others.
>
> So those are some concepts I'm kicking around. I'd love ideas or
> thoughts on background story, metaplot, rules cautions, or adventure
> ideas within the scope of these settings, or other campaign ideas
> entirely. Some of these have long-term possibilities, while others only

Oo! Oo!

If you go with #6, have them break down in some sweltering deep South
dogpatch where the main church is actually a group of "Christian" snake
worshippers. That man who never ever blinks? SNAKES never ever blink!
Think Yuan-Ti.

It's an idea I've posted before, but it's a winner. Just make your
purebloods look human enough to "pass" for slightly inbred, and you're
there. Plenty of action and adventure, snakes and snakemen to fight,
etc. as well as intrigue and suspense. Of course the grand head of the
cult is an Abomination with cleric levels.

For added fun, make one of the "purebloods" a preteen girl who doesn't
like what is going on but is afraid to go against the church, and is
just hitting puberty and maturation into a half-breed... Will the shy
girl help the party, ultimately betray them, or both?

Another pureblood is more mature and tries to seduce a party member into
a late night tryst to add some "new blood" to the community... Maybe in
more ways than one...

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:07:41 AM

"Repent madafro@grandecom.net!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!"
madafro@grandecom.net replied. Then he added:
> 1. Agents of the Church - This expands the cinematic cliche of the
> Catholic Church as a vast, inscrutable organization guarding the
> unknowable secrets of the world for thousands of years. The party are
> non-clergy agents of the Church, investigating paranormal occurances
> around the world; occurrences that the Church suspects hold sinister
> origins. Adventure ideas revolve around "miracles," exorcisms,
> hauntings, visions, ancient texts, Bible codes, and church artifacts.
> Inspirations include movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Indiana
> Jones and the Last Crusade," "Stigmata," "The Exorcist," "The Omen,"
> "The Prophecy," "The Seventh Sign," etc.

Also check out "Vampire$" by John Steakly, and (if you can find it) an old
comic book called Evangeline. You might want to consider having at least
some of the characters be priests, monks or nuns. They could also be
operating outside the auspices of the Church. Evangeline was a nun who was
trained as a spy and assassin: "The Holy Father does not know about this,
nor would he approve."

> 4. Lady and the Tramp d20 - Simply put, the party consists of Awakened
> animals in a modern, urban setting. As such, they perceive things that
> humans don't, and may be the world's last hope. Think Bunnies & Burrows
> meets Shadowrun. Obviously, this may be the most lighthearted of all
> the options here, but not without RP potential. Adventure ideas range
> from simple survival to investigating the PCs origins, to dealing with
> episodes of supernatural evil to which normal humans are blind.
> Inspirations range from Watership Down to "Babe" to NiMH to "The Cat
> from Outer Space."

Don't forget TNMT.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
June 29, 2005 10:06:42 AM

Werebat wrote:

> Oo! Oo!
>
> If you go with #6, have them break down in some sweltering deep South
> dogpatch where the main church is actually a group of "Christian" snake
> worshippers. That man who never ever blinks? SNAKES never ever blink!
> Think Yuan-Ti.
>
> It's an idea I've posted before, but it's a winner.

THAT's what I was thinking of! I had Yuan-ti on the brain when writing
#6, but didn't want to skew any responses. I remember your original
post, now that you mention it, and remember thinking it would be a kick
to do.

You know, there actually is a town called Deception, Texas...

Just make your
> purebloods look human enough to "pass" for slightly inbred, and you're
> there. Plenty of action and adventure, snakes and snakemen to fight,
> etc. as well as intrigue and suspense. Of course the grand head of the
> cult is an Abomination with cleric levels.

Brother Justin Crowe from "Carnivale" springs to mind, here. Hell,
Clancy Brown looks evil enough on his own to inspire all manner of
villainy.

For some reason, a backwoods sheriff with mirrored sunglasses just
screams "snake-man" to me.

> For added fun, make one of the "purebloods" a preteen girl who doesn't
> like what is going on but is afraid to go against the church, and is
> just hitting puberty and maturation into a half-breed... Will the shy
> girl help the party, ultimately betray them, or both?

Of course, her boyfriend is the son of the preacher and/or sheriff.
It's the way these things go.

> Another pureblood is more mature and tries to seduce a party member into
> a late night tryst to add some "new blood" to the community... Maybe in
> more ways than one...

"You jus' relax, hon. Mama's gon' take care of everything."

All good, and a lot better than going with vampires or werewolves. Yes,
this goes in the "keep" file, I think.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Billy Yank wrote:
> "Repent madafro@grandecom.net!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!"
> madafro@grandecom.net replied. Then he added:

I dig this.

> > 1. Agents of the Church - This expands the cinematic cliche of the
> > Catholic Church as a vast, inscrutable organization guarding the
> > unknowable secrets of the world for thousands of years. The party are
> > non-clergy agents of the Church, investigating paranormal occurances
> > around the world; occurrences that the Church suspects hold sinister
> > origins. Adventure ideas revolve around "miracles," exorcisms,
> > hauntings, visions, ancient texts, Bible codes, and church artifacts.
> > Inspirations include movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Indiana
> > Jones and the Last Crusade," "Stigmata," "The Exorcist," "The Omen,"
> > "The Prophecy," "The Seventh Sign," etc.
> >

> Also check out "Vampire$" by John Steakly, and (if you can find it) an old
> comic book called Evangeline. You might want to consider having at least
> some of the characters be priests, monks or nuns. They could also be
> operating outside the auspices of the Church. Evangeline was a nun who was
> trained as a spy and assassin: "The Holy Father does not know about this,
> nor would he approve."

Thanks for the recs; I'll look for copies of Evangeline next time I'm
at the FLCS; it sounds just like what I'm going for.

I presume "Vampire$" is the book on which John Carpenter's movie is
based? I noticed the Jack Crow connection when perusing Amazon for
reviews.

I like the "outside the auspices" idea. One thing I'm trying to do here
is avoid hitting the players over the head with religious doctrine, and
keep the Church abstract as a secret society pulling strings for the
benefit of the world. My impression is that this would work best if the
PCs aren't clergy themselves, but I can certainly see how one or two
priests/nuns among them would be helpful and fun.

Otherwise, I also don't want to villainize the Church; that theme has
been done to death in at least two of my D&D campaigns. Although the
PCs and the Church will be at cross purposes from time to time just to
keep things interesting, they're technically on the same side.

> > 4. Lady and the Tramp d20 - Simply put, the party consists of Awakened
> > animals in a modern, urban setting. As such, they perceive things that
> > humans don't, and may be the world's last hope. Think Bunnies & Burrows
> > meets Shadowrun. Obviously, this may be the most lighthearted of all
> > the options here, but not without RP potential. Adventure ideas range
> > from simple survival to investigating the PCs origins, to dealing with
> > episodes of supernatural evil to which normal humans are blind.
> > Inspirations range from Watership Down to "Babe" to NiMH to "The Cat
> > from Outer Space."
> >

> Don't forget TNMT.

Indeed. As big a fan of the E&L comics as I am though, I might want to
avoid this comparison if I try selling this idea to my players. Not all
of them have read the comics, so it might be difficult to
"de-Cowabunga" the Turtles for those folks.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> I presume "Vampire$" is the book on which John Carpenter's movie is
> based? I noticed the Jack Crow connection when perusing Amazon for
> reviews.

The movie got the name "Vampire$" from the book; both have a
main character named Jack Crow; and both have vampires in them.
Other than that, the movie has pretty much nothing to do with
the book. PS The book is quite good, very hardboiled; the movie
is a nonsensical mess.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:03:26 PM

Werebat wrote:
> madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> > Just make your
> >
> >>purebloods look human enough to "pass" for slightly inbred, and you're
> >>there. Plenty of action and adventure, snakes and snakemen to fight,
> >>etc. as well as intrigue and suspense. Of course the grand head of the
> >>cult is an Abomination with cleric levels.
> >

> > Brother Justin Crowe from "Carnivale" springs to mind, here. Hell,
> > Clancy Brown looks evil enough on his own to inspire all manner of
> > villainy.
> >
> > For some reason, a backwoods sheriff with mirrored sunglasses just
> > screams "snake-man" to me.
>
> Yeah, and makes for a nice scene when he removes them and reveals
> reptilian eyes. You might want to use Ravenloft horror rules for this one.

Good idea. Although I wasn't technically shooting for a horror
game/campaign, this fits.

> >>For added fun, make one of the "purebloods" a preteen girl who doesn't
> >>like what is going on but is afraid to go against the church, and is
> >>just hitting puberty and maturation into a half-breed... Will the shy
> >>girl help the party, ultimately betray them, or both?
> >

> > Of course, her boyfriend is the son of the preacher and/or sheriff.
> > It's the way these things go.
>
> Sure, sure. He's the only one who could ever reach her.

Yes, he was.

> >>Another pureblood is more mature and tries to seduce a party member into
> >>a late night tryst to add some "new blood" to the community... Maybe in
> >>more ways than one...
> >

> > "You jus' relax, hon. Mama's gon' take care of everything."
>
> Invest in flavor text describing how "flexible" she is... :^)

I wish I thought my players would fall for it. I may have squandered
that particular trust years ago, though.

> > All good, and a lot better than going with vampires or werewolves. Yes,
> > this goes in the "keep" file, I think.
>
> I've wanted to run or see this run ever since "Masque of the Red Death"
> or whatever it was called (2e Ravenloft-type world set in 1800s) came
> out. Perfect.

I bought that set; loved it, never did anything with it. Your scenario
works well (and perhaps even better) in a turn-of-the-century or
Depression-era setting.

> One of the write-ups for yuan-ti described them as keeping flocks of
> food animals, usually birds. Is it just me, or does Frank Perdue not
> also scream "snake-man!"?

Heh. One nice thing about modern-day campaigns is that you can dig up
all kinds of stock photos to pass around as descriptive aids. There are
some good, disarming photos of Frank I could use.

> Could be fun with the horror checks when someone walks in on the old
> chicken farmer as he is swallowing one of the chickens whole.

I bet those potluck suppers in the Fellowship Hall are a lot more
interesting, to boot.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Oh, and may I suggest another campaign option:
"They're Crazy and They're Kooky"--the *PCs* are among
the very very few secret supernatural beings. They've
got a great big secret to protect. Hijinks ensue. Most
of the inspirations for this have been comedies ("Bewitched",
"I Dream of Jeannie", "The Addams Family", "The Munsters",
various anime ("Oh! My Goddess!" being a very good one),
"That's So Raven", etc.) But you could have it be gritty
or horror if you tried.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:13:22 PM

dchilders@cablespeed.com wrote:
> Oh, and may I suggest another campaign option:
> "They're Crazy and They're Kooky"--the *PCs* are among
> the very very few secret supernatural beings. They've
> got a great big secret to protect. Hijinks ensue. Most
> of the inspirations for this have been comedies ("Bewitched",
> "I Dream of Jeannie", "The Addams Family", "The Munsters",
> various anime ("Oh! My Goddess!" being a very good one),
> "That's So Raven", etc.) But you could have it be gritty
> or horror if you tried.

Camp: the Masquerade, eh?

Since I have at least one player who doesn't like to play humans, this
tack might work well, and can tie in with several of the other
scenarios I posted.

Good inspirations, but you had me at "Oh! My Goddess!". One thing I
particularly enjoy about anime comedies is the unexplained situational
absurdity that you sometimes just have to accept. "This is the story of
five oddball young people who share an apartment, and by the way, one
of them is telekinetic." It's a facet I wouldn't mind exploring.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>

>>Oo! Oo!
>>
>>If you go with #6, have them break down in some sweltering deep South
>>dogpatch where the main church is actually a group of "Christian" snake
>>worshippers. That man who never ever blinks? SNAKES never ever blink!
>> Think Yuan-Ti.
>>
>>It's an idea I've posted before, but it's a winner.
>

> THAT's what I was thinking of! I had Yuan-ti on the brain when writing
> #6, but didn't want to skew any responses. I remember your original
> post, now that you mention it, and remember thinking it would be a kick
> to do.
>
> You know, there actually is a town called Deception, Texas...

Works. See below about "Masque".

> Just make your
>
>>purebloods look human enough to "pass" for slightly inbred, and you're
>>there. Plenty of action and adventure, snakes and snakemen to fight,
>>etc. as well as intrigue and suspense. Of course the grand head of the
>>cult is an Abomination with cleric levels.
>

> Brother Justin Crowe from "Carnivale" springs to mind, here. Hell,
> Clancy Brown looks evil enough on his own to inspire all manner of
> villainy.
>
> For some reason, a backwoods sheriff with mirrored sunglasses just
> screams "snake-man" to me.

Yeah, and makes for a nice scene when he removes them and reveals
reptilian eyes. You might want to use Ravenloft horror rules for this one.

>>For added fun, make one of the "purebloods" a preteen girl who doesn't
>>like what is going on but is afraid to go against the church, and is
>>just hitting puberty and maturation into a half-breed... Will the shy
>>girl help the party, ultimately betray them, or both?
>

> Of course, her boyfriend is the son of the preacher and/or sheriff.
> It's the way these things go.

Sure, sure. He's the only one who could ever reach her.

>>Another pureblood is more mature and tries to seduce a party member into
>>a late night tryst to add some "new blood" to the community... Maybe in
>>more ways than one...
>

> "You jus' relax, hon. Mama's gon' take care of everything."

Invest in flavor text describing how "flexible" she is... :^)

> All good, and a lot better than going with vampires or werewolves. Yes,
> this goes in the "keep" file, I think.

I've wanted to run or see this run ever since "Masque of the Red Death"
or whatever it was called (2e Ravenloft-type world set in 1800s) came
out. Perfect.

One of the write-ups for yuan-ti described them as keeping flocks of
food animals, usually birds. Is it just me, or does Frank Perdue not
also scream "snake-man!"?

Could be fun with the horror checks when someone walks in on the old
chicken farmer as he is swallowing one of the chickens whole.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:06:03 PM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

>>>"You jus' relax, hon. Mama's gon' take care of everything."
>>
>>Invest in flavor text describing how "flexible" she is... :^)
>

> I wish I thought my players would fall for it. I may have squandered
> that particular trust years ago, though.

You just need to have a few willing hotties who AREN'T
succubi/vampires/etc throw themselves at key PCs here and there.
They'll get lax. :^)

>>Could be fun with the horror checks when someone walks in on the old
>>chicken farmer as he is swallowing one of the chickens whole.
>

> I bet those potluck suppers in the Fellowship Hall are a lot more
> interesting, to boot.

:^)

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:43:38 PM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
> Looking for opinions and ideas here...
>
> I'm considering a d20 Modern approach to urban fantasy in the Gaiman/de
> Lint vein. Heavy on suspense, dial back the fantasy to preserve a sense
> of the mysterious, and derive plot points from hidden magical elements
> overlapping the "mundane" world. Kind of like "X-files," but with
> hidden magic replacing the tinfoil hat element; or "Call of Cthulhu"
> without the inevitable doom and a world saturated with evil.
>
> Here are some setup ideas I'm knocking around; none of which are
> particularly original, but are inspiring to me nonetheless:

> 6. The Redeye - Simple, overdone, but effective: the party members
> begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
> unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
> in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
> phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
> a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
> man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
> town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
> Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
> and a multitude of others.

This one is the only one that really strikes my fancy.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:18:25 PM

Justisaur wrote:
> madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> > 6. The Redeye - Simple, overdone, but effective: the party members
> > begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
> > unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
> > in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
> > phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
> > a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
> > man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
> > town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
> > Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
> > and a multitude of others.
> >

> This one is the only one that really strikes my fancy.

Excellent. Do you have any ideas for expanding or improving it? Does
Ron's snake-town appeal to you, or would you go a different direction?

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

On 29 Jun 2005 08:31:15 -0700, "madafro@grandecom.net"
<madafro@grandecom.net> scribed into the ether:

>Billy Yank wrote:
>> "Repent madafro@grandecom.net!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!"
>> madafro@grandecom.net replied. Then he added:
>
>I dig this.
>

>> > 1. Agents of the Church - This expands the cinematic cliche of the
>> > Catholic Church as a vast, inscrutable organization guarding the
>> > unknowable secrets of the world for thousands of years. The party are
>> > non-clergy agents of the Church, investigating paranormal occurances
>> > around the world; occurrences that the Church suspects hold sinister
>> > origins. Adventure ideas revolve around "miracles," exorcisms,
>> > hauntings, visions, ancient texts, Bible codes, and church artifacts.
>> > Inspirations include movies like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Indiana
>> > Jones and the Last Crusade," "Stigmata," "The Exorcist," "The Omen,"
>> > "The Prophecy," "The Seventh Sign," etc.
>> >

>> Also check out "Vampire$" by John Steakly, and (if you can find it) an old
>> comic book called Evangeline. You might want to consider having at least
>> some of the characters be priests, monks or nuns. They could also be
>> operating outside the auspices of the Church. Evangeline was a nun who was
>> trained as a spy and assassin: "The Holy Father does not know about this,
>> nor would he approve."
>
>Thanks for the recs; I'll look for copies of Evangeline next time I'm
>at the FLCS; it sounds just like what I'm going for.
>
>I presume "Vampire$" is the book on which John Carpenter's movie is
>based? I noticed the Jack Crow connection when perusing Amazon for
>reviews.

Steakly has a mad-on for that name. One of the principle characters in
"Armor" shares it.

Good book, Armor. A lot of people piss on it for being a poor man's
Starship Troopers, but I found them nothing alike save a similarity of
opponent (and a vague one at that).
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:08:02 AM

"Repent madafro@grandecom.net!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!"
madafro@grandecom.net replied. Then he added:

> I like the "outside the auspices" idea. One thing I'm trying to do here
> is avoid hitting the players over the head with religious doctrine, and
> keep the Church abstract as a secret society pulling strings for the
> benefit of the world. My impression is that this would work best if the
> PCs aren't clergy themselves, but I can certainly see how one or two
> priests/nuns among them would be helpful and fun.

The Church has a lot of different parts to it. You could very easily set
it up so one particular order or faction is doing something that another
one wouldn't like.

dchilders has it right about Vampire$, the book is much better than the
movie. I especially like that the Pope has so much Holy Mojo he can kill a
vampire with a touch.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:04:24 PM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Excellent. Do you have any ideas for expanding or improving it? Does
> Ron's snake-town appeal to you, or would you go a different direction?

That sounds fine, but I'd rather not *know* I'm up against Yuan-ti
until I figure it out.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:58:04 AM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Justisaur wrote:
>
>>madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
>

>>>6. The Redeye - Simple, overdone, but effective: the party members
>>>begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
>>>unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
>>>in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
>>>phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
>>>a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
>>>man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
>>>town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
>>>Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
>>>and a multitude of others.
>>>

>>This one is the only one that really strikes my fancy.
>

> Excellent. Do you have any ideas for expanding or improving it? Does
> Ron's snake-town appeal to you, or would you go a different direction?

Don't forget to have one of the purebloods sitting in an old rocking
chair on the front porch and idly strumming "Dueling Banjos" while he
cackles to himself and eyes the PCs furtively.

- Ron ^*^
July 1, 2005 5:00:50 AM

On 29 Jun 2005 09:00:48 -0700, dchilders@cablespeed.com dared speak in
front of ME:

>madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
>>
>> I presume "Vampire$" is the book on which John Carpenter's movie is
>> based? I noticed the Jack Crow connection when perusing Amazon for
>> reviews.
>
>The movie got the name "Vampire$" from the book; both have a
>main character named Jack Crow; and both have vampires in them.
>Other than that, the movie has pretty much nothing to do with
>the book. PS The book is quite good, very hardboiled; the movie
>is a nonsensical mess.

The movie wasn't *that* bad. It wasn't that *good* either;
definately fell short of the book.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

July 1, 2005 8:14:01 AM

> 5. The Forgotten - A diverse array of PCs all have one thing in
common:
> they were arrested for various crimes, and spend the same night in the
> same holding cell. Upon awakening the next morning, they are suddenly

This is a variant of how I started my latest GURPS campaign:

You all meet in a dungeon in the wilderness. A rather urbane gentleman
in an adjacent cell slips you a mysterious parchment which he tells you
describes the secret of the spooky tavern in the seedy center of town.
He also gives you an old, worn key . . . you get the drift: take every
cliche and rotate it 180 degrees out of phase -- except for a few here
and there to keep 'em on their toes. In my campaign, the characters were
granted suspension of prosecution for their various crimes against the
local lord as a sort of "recruitment bonus" into his law-enforcement
organization, which has its own set of plot hooks, on top of the ones
built into each of the PCs (the wandering sorceress seeking to learn new
powers to take back to her tribe, the semi-barbarian mercenary with an
enemy of whom he had no knowledge, etc.). Common bond for party
cohesion: leaving the service of said lord had best be done by
emigration, due to those prosecutable offenses still hanging over their
heads.

--
Rob
Anonymous

Justisaur wrote:
> madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
>
> > Excellent. Do you have any ideas for expanding or improving it? Does
> > Ron's snake-town appeal to you, or would you go a different direction?
> >

> That sounds fine, but I'd rather not *know* I'm up against Yuan-ti
> until I figure it out.

Sure. If I go this route, I'd like to keep the "snaketitude" down to a
subtle level for a while and just present the town as backwoods and
creepy, but believable...at least for anyone who thinks "Deliverance"
and "Gator Bait" were documentaries. The party gets embroiled in some
local trouble that seems more or less mundane, until Frank Perdue shows
up and downs a whole, live chicken in one swallow.

I'll have to have a cameo by James Earl Jones, of course. Perhaps in
the role of the wizened bartender at the Tulsa Dunes Lounge (Beer.
Setups. TV. AC.).

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Robert Bunn wrote:
> > 5. The Forgotten - A diverse array of PCs all have one thing in
> common:
> > they were arrested for various crimes, and spend the same night in the
> > same holding cell. Upon awakening the next morning, they are suddenly
>
> This is a variant of how I started my latest GURPS campaign:
>
> You all meet in a dungeon in the wilderness. A rather urbane gentleman
> in an adjacent cell slips you a mysterious parchment which he tells you
> describes the secret of the spooky tavern in the seedy center of town.
> He also gives you an old, worn key . . . you get the drift: take every
> cliche and rotate it 180 degrees out of phase -- except for a few here
> and there to keep 'em on their toes. In my campaign, the characters were
> granted suspension of prosecution for their various crimes against the
> local lord as a sort of "recruitment bonus" into his law-enforcement
> organization, which has its own set of plot hooks, on top of the ones
> built into each of the PCs (the wandering sorceress seeking to learn new
> powers to take back to her tribe, the semi-barbarian mercenary with an
> enemy of whom he had no knowledge, etc.). Common bond for party
> cohesion: leaving the service of said lord had best be done by
> emigration, due to those prosecutable offenses still hanging over their
> heads.

That's something like the original idea I had for the holding cell
startup; along the lines of "The Usual Suspects." The PCs are all
gathered for the pretense of a police lineup, but really to serve the
will of some mysterious party. Then, I thought wiping all traces of
the PCs' existence from the world overnight might make an interesting
twist, and having the mysterious puppet master communicating with them
through items, hints, and nudges; never overtly.

The puppet master requires a group of completely anonymous "helpers" to
accomplish some task, but has to tightly control what they know as they
go about it. I could go in a lot of directions with this; the puppet
master could be a modern-day mage, aliens, God, a secret society, the
government, etc. Either the party's collective identities could be
erased, or it could be more like "The Matrix" or "Blade Runner;" their
identities were artificial in the first place.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Werebat wrote:

> Don't forget to have one of the purebloods sitting in an old rocking
> chair on the front porch and idly strumming "Dueling Banjos" while he
> cackles to himself and eyes the PCs furtively.

See, now I'm wondering whether to do the town as yuan-ti top to bottom,
or just have the snake-people there as a cancerous presence in an
otherwise normal town; every third person is a pureblood as opposed to
everyone.

Heh. Maybe the sheriff and his family are the only *real humans* in
town.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Matt Frisch wrote:

> Good book, Armor. A lot of people piss on it for being a poor man's
> Starship Troopers, but I found them nothing alike save a similarity of
> opponent (and a vague one at that).

And here I thought the "Starship Troopers" movie was the poor man's
"Starship Troopers." :)

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Billy Yank wrote:

> dchilders has it right about Vampire$, the book is much better than the
> movie. I especially like that the Pope has so much Holy Mojo he can kill a
> vampire with a touch.

I can totally see Benedict XVI doing this.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Justisaur wrote:
>
>>madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
>>

>>>Excellent. Do you have any ideas for expanding or improving it? Does
>>>Ron's snake-town appeal to you, or would you go a different direction?
>>>

>>That sounds fine, but I'd rather not *know* I'm up against Yuan-ti
>>until I figure it out.
>

> Sure. If I go this route, I'd like to keep the "snaketitude" down to a
> subtle level for a while and just present the town as backwoods and
> creepy, but believable...at least for anyone who thinks "Deliverance"
> and "Gator Bait" were documentaries. The party gets embroiled in some
> local trouble that seems more or less mundane, until Frank Perdue shows
> up and downs a whole, live chicken in one swallow.

Right. For smirks, have a chapter of the Klan trying to move in and
start a semi-secret chapter of their organization and getting in WAAAAY
over their pointy little heads... :^)

Perhaps one of the Klansmen tried to get in good with the local church,
learned too much, and went missing. I'd think Klansmen and Yuan-Ti
would be similar in some ways but have some serious disagreements about
"racial purity"... Maybe to the point where a running-scared escaped
Klansman is actually a "good guy" for plot purposes. :^)

OR, have the Yuan-Ti *be* Klansmen. Hell, why not? Bigots don't have
to make sense.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:59:00 PM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>

>>Don't forget to have one of the purebloods sitting in an old rocking
>>chair on the front porch and idly strumming "Dueling Banjos" while he
>>cackles to himself and eyes the PCs furtively.
>

> See, now I'm wondering whether to do the town as yuan-ti top to bottom,
> or just have the snake-people there as a cancerous presence in an
> otherwise normal town; every third person is a pureblood as opposed to
> everyone.
>
> Heh. Maybe the sheriff and his family are the only *real humans* in
> town.

That *is* a tough call.

I'd say have them all be Yuan-Ti, but most of them are Purebloods
leading relatively normal lives. The Half-Breeds keep hidden in case
visitors come by, in basements with tunnels connecting to the nearby
swamps where there's good huntin'. Only one or two Abominations are
present, but they run the show as High Holy Ones.

'Course, the regular minister has to be a Pureblood, just to keep up
appearances. But on special days they move out the floorboards and
everyone takes part in a big snakepit orgy.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:01:29 PM

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Robert Bunn wrote:
>
>>>5. The Forgotten - A diverse array of PCs all have one thing in
>>
>>common:
>>
>>>they were arrested for various crimes, and spend the same night in the
>>>same holding cell. Upon awakening the next morning, they are suddenly
>>
>>This is a variant of how I started my latest GURPS campaign:
>>
>>You all meet in a dungeon in the wilderness. A rather urbane gentleman
>>in an adjacent cell slips you a mysterious parchment which he tells you
>>describes the secret of the spooky tavern in the seedy center of town.
>>He also gives you an old, worn key . . . you get the drift: take every
>>cliche and rotate it 180 degrees out of phase -- except for a few here
>>and there to keep 'em on their toes. In my campaign, the characters were
>>granted suspension of prosecution for their various crimes against the
>>local lord as a sort of "recruitment bonus" into his law-enforcement
>>organization, which has its own set of plot hooks, on top of the ones
>>built into each of the PCs (the wandering sorceress seeking to learn new
>>powers to take back to her tribe, the semi-barbarian mercenary with an
>>enemy of whom he had no knowledge, etc.). Common bond for party
>>cohesion: leaving the service of said lord had best be done by
>>emigration, due to those prosecutable offenses still hanging over their
>>heads.
>

> That's something like the original idea I had for the holding cell
> startup; along the lines of "The Usual Suspects." The PCs are all
> gathered for the pretense of a police lineup, but really to serve the
> will of some mysterious party. Then, I thought wiping all traces of
> the PCs' existence from the world overnight might make an interesting
> twist, and having the mysterious puppet master communicating with them
> through items, hints, and nudges; never overtly.
>
> The puppet master requires a group of completely anonymous "helpers" to
> accomplish some task, but has to tightly control what they know as they
> go about it. I could go in a lot of directions with this; the puppet
> master could be a modern-day mage, aliens, God, a secret society, the
> government, etc. Either the party's collective identities could be
> erased, or it could be more like "The Matrix" or "Blade Runner;" their
> identities were artificial in the first place.

Sounds like dopplegangers to me. Cabinet of Faces stuff, with a
powerful psion at the top.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:26:28 PM

On 1 Jul 2005 06:53:01 -0700, "madafro@grandecom.net"
<madafro@grandecom.net> wrote:

>Werebat wrote:
>

>> Don't forget to have one of the purebloods sitting in an old rocking
>> chair on the front porch and idly strumming "Dueling Banjos" while he
>> cackles to himself and eyes the PCs furtively.
>
>See, now I'm wondering whether to do the town as yuan-ti top to bottom,
>or just have the snake-people there as a cancerous presence in an
>otherwise normal town; every third person is a pureblood as opposed to
>everyone.
>
>Heh. Maybe the sheriff and his family are the only *real humans* in
>town.

There's nothing preventing you from mixing in some human Yig
worshippers (a la Call of Cthulhu) to complement the Yuan-ti. Perhaps
10% pure-bloods, 20% half-breeds, 20% Human Yig worshippers (snake
handling cultists) and the rest are normal Sunday go to meeting
Humans. Hard to tell the difference though.
Loup Garou
--

grrr-arghhh...
Anonymous

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> See, now I'm wondering whether to do the town as yuan-ti top to bottom,
> or just have the snake-people there as a cancerous presence in an
> otherwise normal town; every third person is a pureblood as opposed to
> everyone.

Another possibility:
Culebra de Dios, Texas is about 5 miles from a marsh which turns into
bayou just over the Louisiana border (10 miles away).
The official population is maybe 15,000, of which most have a
substantial degree of snake-blood. Bringing with mostly typical
yuan-ti(-like) physical attributes, tastes in food, et cetera.
The twist: when the Spanish first showed up in the 1500s, they were
ruthless predators, and humans avoided the area. Period. By the end
of the Civil War they had been reduced from predator to parasite, and
it became increasingly clear they would lose an open showdown with the
humans. Lose eventually, but lose nonetheless.
So they thought outside the box, and changed their culture from
parasite to symbiote. They now guard the marsh and the bayou, and
even the adjacent lands. Against what? Could it be there's something
out there more dangerous than a large tribe of ruthless yaun-ti
fanatics? ("Tune in next week ....")
The non-yuan-ti locals don't know any of this; they think the
Culebrans are just a little too in-bred and are happy to suspect them
if a child goes missing or livestock start being mysteriously
mutilated. Those who point out when certain Culebrans go off into the
bayou for a "fishing trip", that's when the trouble stops are rarely
taken seriously.

... and just in the middle of such a time is when the PCs roll into
town. Paranoia ensues, not helped by the (human) local deputy (think
of the Sherrif on "Smallville") who knows most of the real story and
will not be friendly to those prying into things what ain't none of
their business. Season to taste with stereotypical small-town
romantic shenanigans, mundane criminality, and political hi-jinks.

Robert Huff
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:38:50 PM

In article <1120223040.937405.8780@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
madafro@grandecom.net says...

> I'll have to have a cameo by James Earl Jones, of course. Perhaps in
> the role of the wizened bartender at the Tulsa Dunes Lounge (Beer.
> Setups. TV. AC.).

I just wanted to say I'm loving this thread. :D

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <sb3xe.141958$sy6.29082@lakeread04>, ranpoirier@cox.net
says...

> Don't forget to have one of the purebloods sitting in an old rocking
> chair on the front porch and idly strumming "Dueling Banjos" while he
> cackles to himself and eyes the PCs furtively.

I must refer to the following post, from the first (I think?) thread
where you mentioned the Southerners-yuan-ti connection on rgfd:

http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/rec.games.frp.dnd/msg/5055ec416566e4fa

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <1zlwe.141793$sy6.21360@lakeread04>, ranpoirier@cox.net
says...

> > 6. The Redeye - Simple, overdone, but effective: the party members
> > begin the game as strangers on a late-night bus trip that ends up in an
> > unplanned destination with wierd results. Perhaps the bus breaks down
> > in a small town at 2 a.m. in the middle of absolute nowhere. Naturally,
> > phone service is sporadic, the only mechanic won't be back in town for
> > a week, and the only place to stay is a derelict motel run by a strange
> > man who never, ever blinks. Naturally, there is Something About this
> > town that the PCs must uncover if they are to get out alive.
> > Inspirations include "Psycho," "The Twilight Zone," "The Langoliers,"
> > and a multitude of others.
>
> Oo! Oo!
>
> If you go with #6, have them break down in some sweltering deep South
> dogpatch where the main church is actually a group of "Christian" snake
> worshippers. That man who never ever blinks? SNAKES never ever blink!
> Think Yuan-Ti.

I was once considering a Modern game set in South-East Asia, with the PC
being mercenaries in the employ of... someone... who wants...
something... from an archeological site deep in the jungle. The PCs
would expect to have to contend with guerillas and/or local warlords in
the jungle and the government bureaucracy in the civilization. However,
they'd also have to contend with yuan-ti seductresses in civilization,
and yuan-ti hunters and warriors in the jungle, since the site is
actually a yuan-ti city/temple.

But I like this even better!

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <1120226627.478342.124280@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
madafro@grandecom.net says...

> > dchilders has it right about Vampire$, the book is much better than the
> > movie. I especially like that the Pope has so much Holy Mojo he can kill a
> > vampire with a touch.
>
> I can totally see Benedict XVI doing this.

Well... yes, but necessarily limited to vampires.

http://photos6.flickr.com/9958184_1d3029f0e7.jpg

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Werebat wrote:

> Right. For smirks, have a chapter of the Klan trying to move in and
> start a semi-secret chapter of their organization and getting in WAAAAY
> over their pointy little heads... :^)
>
> Perhaps one of the Klansmen tried to get in good with the local church,
> learned too much, and went missing. I'd think Klansmen and Yuan-Ti
> would be similar in some ways but have some serious disagreements about
> "racial purity"... Maybe to the point where a running-scared escaped
> Klansman is actually a "good guy" for plot purposes. :^)

I would love to play in a adventure like that! Set the adventure in
1930es and you get "Shadow over Innsmouth"! :-)

<enters lurking mode again>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:36:11 PM

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120223040.937405.8780@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> madafro@grandecom.net says...
>
> > I'll have to have a cameo by James Earl Jones, of course. Perhaps in
> > the role of the wizened bartender at the Tulsa Dunes Lounge (Beer.
> > Setups. TV. AC.).
>
> I just wanted to say I'm loving this thread. :D

Same here; Ron's concept is a good one, and there's no shortage of
inspiration for it.

The catch is timing, especially as far as my group is concerned. It
wasn't so long ago in a D&D campaign where these same players found
their PCs embroiled in a coastal city held firmly in the grip of a
"snake cult." The yuan-ti machinations there were never explicitly
revealed (the whole thing was peripheral to the main storyline), but it
was pretty obvious to the veteran players at the table what was going
on, even if their PCs were largely ignorant.

On that note, bringing another town-in-thrall-to-snakes to the table
will be tricky, although the themes and setting are wildly different.
Leastwise, it's too good *not* to do.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Robert Huff wrote:

[snip backstory idea]
> So they thought outside the box, and changed their culture from
> parasite to symbiote. They now guard the marsh and the bayou, and
> even the adjacent lands. Against what? Could it be there's something
> out there more dangerous than a large tribe of ruthless yaun-ti
> fanatics? ("Tune in next week ....")

Good thoughts, especially if Snake Town, U.S.A. becomes a starting
point for other things. For a one-off game, we might not need so much
detail; "you're stuck in a backwoods town full of yuan-ti, see if you
can get out alive." But, if things go well enough that I decide to make
a campaign out of it, it would help have some idea of the yuan-ti past.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>
>>In article <1120223040.937405.8780@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>>madafro@grandecom.net says...
>>

>>>I'll have to have a cameo by James Earl Jones, of course. Perhaps in
>>>the role of the wizened bartender at the Tulsa Dunes Lounge (Beer.
>>>Setups. TV. AC.).
>>
>>I just wanted to say I'm loving this thread. :D
>

> Same here; Ron's concept is a good one, and there's no shortage of
> inspiration for it.

Inbred Jed: "Oh, long legged woman, where have you been all my life...
Heh-heh-HEH-heh-heh... God damn I love that song... God damn it's...
God DAMN it's good to be here! Heh-heh-HEH!!!"

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:51:52 AM

Werebat wrote:
> madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> > Same here; Ron's concept is a good one, and there's no shortage of
> > inspiration for it.
>
> Inbred Jed: "Oh, long legged woman, where have you been all my life...
> Heh-heh-HEH-heh-heh... God damn I love that song... God damn it's...
> God DAMN it's good to be here! Heh-heh-HEH!!!"

And of course, stories like this make the job even easier...

http://tinyurl.com/73hd4

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

madafro@grandecom.net wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>madafro@grandecom.net wrote:
>

>>>Same here; Ron's concept is a good one, and there's no shortage of
>>>inspiration for it.
>>
>>Inbred Jed: "Oh, long legged woman, where have you been all my life...
>>Heh-heh-HEH-heh-heh... God damn I love that song... God damn it's...
>>God DAMN it's good to be here! Heh-heh-HEH!!!"
>

> And of course, stories like this make the job even easier...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/73hd4

LOL yep they do...

"We-awl would lahk to innerdeuce yew to our *real* reverend..."

- Ron ^*^
!