Magic vs. technology (was: Musings on Alignment)

Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:

> But the problem is you are dumping magic in this world which throws the
> *effective* Technology level off. GURPS uses TLx+y to show this.
> Technomancer (called Merlin in Infinate Worlds) is at TL7+1 or higher than
> our own TL7 but that is due to magic. The average D&D world seems to range
> from TL2+2 (Age of Sail, 1450+) to TL 3+2 (Industrial Revolution, 1730+)
> which throws any assumption on the 'historic' Middle Ages out the window.

.... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
line on my previous message.)

We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.

Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes. Yes, /remove disease/
could cure someone with the Black Plague, but once it started to spread
you'd only be able to save certain individuals. This could of course
'affect history' -- save the important people who bend the path of
history, and things will be different than if they'd died. Probably.
I'm not going into that right now.

However, you'd still be greatly limited as to what exactly you could do.
You couldn't save *everyone*. You might be able to identify when and
where it'll start, quarantine that city, and prevent it from spreading
and wiping out the continent. Or not -- it could be magically hidden or
surpressed until it was too late to contain, or a number of areas of
contagion started to make it too difficult to stop. This'd have to be
organized, of course, which means the possibility of finding out and
stopping *that* from happening exists.

Basically, while magic allows for great results in some cases, they're
still less than you'd see in modern times, in the *common* case. Yes,
you might be able to use /remove disease/ to cure AIDS, but there'll
still be a lot of people dying of pneumonia or dysentery... especially
if they still have the open sewers in the streets.

Overall I treat magic as making things a little better on average than
it was; much of the 'counter' to the benefits of magic require active
application (i.e. evil), which reduces the likelihood. It makes things
a little smoother if I assume magic makes life a little better overall,
without greatly influencing most of the rest of society. It's a source
of power, but very tightly focused.

Make it cheap and fairly common, *then* you've got something that'll
change the society. That a few people gain benefits from it will make
*some* difference, but not nearly as much as many people think.

Keith

"Repent Keith Davies!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Keith Davies
replied. Then he added:

> Make it cheap and fairly common, *then* you've got something that'll
> change the society. That a few people gain benefits from it will make
> *some* difference, but not nearly as much as many people think.

One thing I've always imagined about a D&D world is that sanitation would
probably be better. For example, if out break of Cholera swept through the
city, some of the preists would be running around curing, but someone's got
to be back in the temple casting some high-level divination.

"Oh, Lord of Healing, what can we do to stop this plague?"

"You must stop the people from using the open pit latrine behind the Market
Square. Then My most powerful priests must go to that latrine and all cast
Cure Disease at the same time. They must then move to the well in the
square and all cast Purify Food & Drink at the same time. Then you must
erect a bronze statue of Me in the square, it must be at least 20 feet
tall. Remember well this dictum: Never dig a latrine within a quarter-mile
of a source of drinking water."

"Yes, Lord, it will be as you say."

After a couple hundred years of this, religious taboos would probably cover
most of what we now practice as sanitary living.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

"Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message

> One thing I've always imagined about a D&D world is that sanitation would
> probably be better. For example, if out break of Cholera swept through
> the
> city, some of the preists would be running around curing, but someone's
> got
> to be back in the temple casting some high-level divination.
>
> "Oh, Lord of Healing, what can we do to stop this plague?"
>
> "You must stop the people from using the open pit latrine behind the
> Market
> Square. Then My most powerful priests must go to that latrine and all
> cast
> Cure Disease at the same time. They must then move to the well in the
> square and all cast Purify Food & Drink at the same time. Then you must
> erect a bronze statue of Me in the square, it must be at least 20 feet
> tall. Remember well this dictum: Never dig a latrine within a
> quarter-mile
> of a source of drinking water."
>
> "Yes, Lord, it will be as you say."
>

> After a couple hundred years of this, religious taboos would probably
> cover
> most of what we now practice as sanitary living.

....and there'd be a small shortage of bronze thanks to the countless statues
of healing deities that had been required. :)

In article <Xns9683F20778E62billyyanknetzeronet@199.45.49.11>,
Billy Yank <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote:
>"Repent Keith Davies!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Keith Davies
>replied. Then he added:
>
>> Make it cheap and fairly common, *then* you've got something that'll
>> change the society. That a few people gain benefits from it will make
>> *some* difference, but not nearly as much as many people think.
>>

>One thing I've always imagined about a D&D world is that sanitation would
>probably be better. For example, if out break of Cholera swept through the
>city, some of the preists would be running around curing, but someone's got
>to be back in the temple casting some high-level divination.
>
>"Oh, Lord of Healing, what can we do to stop this plague?"
>
>"You must stop the people from using the open pit latrine behind the Market
>Square.
<snip divine writ>
>"Yes, Lord, it will be as you say."
>
>After a couple hundred years of this, religious taboos would probably cover
>most of what we now practice as sanitary living.

Divination backed Surveillance could keep plague at bay.

"Oh Lord of Healing is there anyone in need of your Holy Touch?"

"Go unto 259 The Twidlings and cast Cure Jack Fedmore and his family.
Then Burn the bolts of damp cloth they have just received from
Landstrom as a offering to me."

If you can identify and zap patent zero you could stop a plague with
5-6 Cure Diseases. Natural plague could be a thing of the past...
Unless all the healers are called away to war, or the plague is
_unnatural_...

I think there is a campaign in this... all the characters are affiliated
with the healing god (who needs fighters, rogues, mages etc to battle the
forces of disease and Jack Fedmore (who does not want to be cured and have
his cloth burned)).

Disease Divination could lead to all sort of interesting situations and
normally the Oracle is not quite so specific its pronouncements.
--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

"Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message
> "Repent Keith Davies!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Keith
Davies
> replied. Then he added:
>
> > Make it cheap and fairly common, *then* you've got something that'll
> > change the society. That a few people gain benefits from it will make
> > *some* difference, but not nearly as much as many people think.
> >

> One thing I've always imagined about a D&D world is that sanitation
would
> probably be better. For example, if out break of Cholera swept through
the
> city, some of the preists would be running around curing, but someone's
got
> to be back in the temple casting some high-level divination.
>
> "Oh, Lord of Healing, what can we do to stop this plague?"
>
> "You must stop the people from using the open pit latrine behind the
Market
> Square. Then My most powerful priests must go to that latrine and all
cast
> Cure Disease at the same time. They must then move to the well in the
> square and all cast Purify Food & Drink at the same time. Then you must
> erect a bronze statue of Me in the square, it must be at least 20 feet
> tall. Remember well this dictum: Never dig a latrine within a
quarter-mile
> of a source of drinking water."
>
> "Yes, Lord, it will be as you say."

Maybe that's why the best "communicate with deity" spell doesn't work that
way.

"Mr. M.J. Lush" <mlush@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote in message

Using actual D&D magic....

> Divination backed Surveillance could keep plague at bay.
>
> "Oh Lord of Healing is there anyone in need of your Holy Touch?"

Yes.

Not...

Mr. M.J. Lush wrote:

> ... if your running a vanilla setting in which case a dayly divination
> "do I need to cast commune?" followed by a binary search commune
> when needed, will go a long way. Coupled with a large chunk of good sense
> in the holy book.

Gate or planeshift to your god's home plane and simply ASK rather
than casting a spell to communicate accross dimensions is also
possible.

Note that repeated divinations work for most binary search trees
within noticably less than the one week they give warning for.
(i.e. you know by the time you need to without paying any EP.)

If the gods can't communicate with their church given high level
magic on the church's side then the gods are worse at communicating
than the average illiterate deaf mute even after the deaf mute has
been dead for a week....

Claims that the gods can't pass on information just don't work in
D&D land.

But what makes you think that sickness in D&D land is caused by
anything related to poor sanitation, I don't recall seeing Typhus
or Black Death in the DMG, I do recall D&D having things like
Mummy Rot and infectious Lycanthropy, assuming that other deseases
act like those in our world even though none of them are deseases
from our world seems over optimistic too me.

DougL

Mr. M.J. Lush wrote:
> In article <ZfqdnYf53YuoK1_fRVnytg@pipex.net>, Symbol <jb70@talk21.com> wrote:
>
>>"Billy Yank" <billyUSCOREyank@verizonDOT.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Repent Keith Davies!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Keith
>>
>>Davies
>>
>>>replied. Then he added:

>>>One thing I've always imagined about a D&D world is that sanitation
>>
>>would
>>
>>>probably be better. For example, if out break of Cholera swept through
>>
>>the
>>
>>>city, some of the preists would be running around curing, but someone's
>>
>>got
>>
>>>to be back in the temple casting some high-level divination.
>>>
>>>"Oh, Lord of Healing, what can we do to stop this plague?"
>>>
>>>"You must stop the people from using the open pit latrine behind the
>>
>>Market
>>
>>>Square. Then My most powerful priests must go to that latrine and all
>>
>>cast
>>
>>>Cure Disease at the same time. They must then move to the well in the
>>>square and all cast Purify Food & Drink at the same time. Then you must
>>>erect a bronze statue of Me in the square, it must be at least 20 feet
>>>tall. Remember well this dictum: Never dig a latrine within a
>>
>>quarter-mile
>>
>>>of a source of drinking water."
>>>
>>>"Yes, Lord, it will be as you say."
>>
>>Maybe that's why the best "communicate with deity" spell doesn't work that
>>way.
>>

> ... if your running a vanilla setting in which case a dayly divination
> "do I need to cast commune?" followed by a binary search commune
> when needed, will go a long way. Coupled with a large chunk of good sense
> in the holy book.

Now there's some wishful thinking.

- Ron ^*^

"Repent Symbol!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Symbol replied.
Then he added:

> Maybe that's why the best "communicate with deity" spell doesn't work
> that way.

Bummer. I never looked at clerical divination before. Is there anything
better than Commune in BoED?

--

Billy Yank wrote:

> "Repent Symbol!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Symbol replied.
> Then he added:
>

>>Maybe that's why the best "communicate with deity" spell doesn't work
>>that way.
>>

> Bummer. I never looked at clerical divination before. Is there anything
> better than Commune in BoED?

Yeah -- Nymph's Kiss.

- Ron ^*^

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:53:52 GMT, Keith Davies
<keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

>Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
>>
>> But the problem is you are dumping magic in this world which throws the
>> *effective* Technology level off. GURPS uses TLx+y to show this.
>> Technomancer (called Merlin in Infinate Worlds) is at TL7+1 or higher than
>> our own TL7 but that is due to magic. The average D&D world seems to range
>> from TL2+2 (Age of Sail, 1450+) to TL 3+2 (Industrial Revolution, 1730+)
>> which throws any assumption on the 'historic' Middle Ages out the window.
>
>... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
>line on my previous message.)
>
>We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
>that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
>gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
>equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.
>
>Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
>who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
>expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes. Yes, /remove disease/
>could cure someone with the Black Plague, but once it started to spread
>you'd only be able to save certain individuals.

True. Spell casters are usually a minority, sometimes a really small
minority, and most of them shouldn't be higher than 3rd level. And
it's easy for someone who is primarily a GURPS player to forget how
constrained D&D magic users are. Basicly for lower class types you
aren't going to get access to much more than 0 level spells.

So what impact would the 0-level spells have on people's lives?

Create Water: Can help tide the village over when the water source
has been contaminated until a high level cleric can come and deal with
the problem or when there's just plain a water shortage. A 3rd level
cleric (who I'll take as "typical") can produce something like 36
gallons a day.

Cure Minor Wounds: Cure spells seem to prevent or at least discourage
infection apart from the actual damage they restore, at least as much
as modern first aid disinfection. _Big_ difference. And you aren't
going to see so many villagers hurting themselves per day that you
can't keep ahead of it. And a Cure Minor really speeds up a 1st level
character's recuperation from injury.

Detect Poison: Is going to help track down the sources of water and
food chemical contamination related illnesses fairly easily. Much
more easily in fact than modern medical investigators could do it.

Guidance: Effectively means that all the farmers have a +1 for their
professional skill check for the year because it lasts "until
discharged".

Ray of Frost: OK, not much practical use. But it does mean that ice
will be for sale in the cities.

Resistance: Duration limit makes it of no significant use.

Now, note that there is no "Detect Disease" spell in the book
officially, but it makes sense that it could be detected at the same
level as Poison or maybe one higher. That would help a lot with
quarantining contagion.

In article <RHGwe.141910$sy6.2638@lakeread04>, ranpoirier@cox.net
says...

> >>Maybe that's why the best "communicate with deity" spell doesn't work
> >>that way.
> >
> > Bummer. I never looked at clerical divination before. Is there anything
> > better than Commune in BoED?
>
> Yeah -- Nymph's Kiss.

:D

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <1120085678.836040.306570@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
DougL <doug.lampert@tdytsi.com> wrote:
>Mr. M.J. Lush wrote:
>
>> ... if your running a vanilla setting in which case a dayly divination
>> "do I need to cast commune?" followed by a binary search commune
>> when needed, will go a long way. Coupled with a large chunk of good sense
>> in the holy book.
<snip>
>Claims that the gods can't pass on information just don't work in
>D&D land.
>
>But what makes you think that sickness in D&D land is caused by
>anything related to poor sanitation, I don't recall seeing Typhus
>or Black Death in the DMG, I do recall D&D having things like
>Mummy Rot and infectious Lycanthropy, assuming that other deseases
>act like those in our world even though none of them are deseases
>from our world seems over optimistic too me.

In another post in this thread I suggest just that

"If you can identify and zap patent zero you could stop a plague with
5-6 Cure Diseases. Natural plague could be a thing of the past...
Unless all the healers are called away to war, or the plague is
_unnatural_..."

I think a "Sanitation Police" could make a useful structure for a
long running city campaign

* Its easy to start an adventure... The Oracle speaks and off they go
* There is a natural scaling of Challenge vs Character Level, for the
most part the squad would be assigned to tasks they could handle,
say, they start out tackling 'natural disease' (not easy the carriers
may not want to be found or are powerful and embarrassed (you try telling
the High Poobar of the Templers a highly infectious Social Disease and
finding out who/what he got it from)). as they get stronger they could move
on to tackling a village with a nasty outbreak of Lycanthropy or finding out
where those cases of Mummy Rot are coming from etc.
* The characters have a useful status within the city that allows the whole party
to move 'freely' in all levels of society. Putting them in a excellent position
to get caught up in all sorts of politics and conspiracy.
* Most classes could it into the Church organisation they need fighters, rogues,
mages as well as clerics

--

In article <slrndc3s90.pt5.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

> Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
> >
> > But the problem is you are dumping magic in this world which throws the
> > *effective* Technology level off. GURPS uses TLx+y to show this.
> > Technomancer (called Merlin in Infinate Worlds) is at TL7+1 or higher than
> > our own TL7 but that is due to magic. The average D&D world seems to range
> > from TL2+2 (Age of Sail, 1450+) to TL 3+2 (Industrial Revolution, 1730+)
> > which throws any assumption on the 'historic' Middle Ages out the window.
>
> ... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
> line on my previous message.)
>
> We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
> that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
> gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
> equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.
>
> Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
> who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
> expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes.

This depends wildly on the the magic system. GURPS Magic and Fantasy give a
huge range of magic system that work WAY differently than D&D magic does.

> Yes, /remove disease/
> could cure someone with the Black Plague, but once it started to spread
> you'd only be able to save certain individuals. This could of course
> 'affect history' -- save the important people who bend the path of
> history, and things will be different than if they'd died. Probably.
> I'm not going into that right now.
>
> However, you'd still be greatly limited as to what exactly you could do.
> You couldn't save *everyone*. You might be able to identify when and
> where it'll start, quarantine that city, and prevent it from spreading
> and wiping out the continent. Or not -- it could be magically hidden or
> surpressed until it was too late to contain, or a number of areas of
> contagion started to make it too difficult to stop. This'd have to be
> organized, of course, which means the possibility of finding out and
> stopping *that* from happening exists.
>
> Basically, while magic allows for great results in some cases, they're
> still less than you'd see in modern times, in the *common* case. Yes,
> you might be able to use /remove disease/ to cure AIDS, but there'll
> still be a lot of people dying of pneumonia or dysentery... especially
> if they still have the open sewers in the streets.

Here is where the difference in the magic systems comes into play. Remove
Contagion in GUPRS is an area spell and with enough Powerstones or a good
powersource for Draw Power to work on you can take out about every disease
that is spread through contaminated air, food, or water. Of course this
still leaves carrier diseases like the Plague, AIDS, and Ebola to deal
with.

Also Magic can help in indirect ways. Take the lowly Copy spell - five
seconds and a base 2+1/copy energy points (average person has 10) to copy a
page of material. Each doubling of the base multiplies the source by 10. So
4 gets you one copy of a 10 page document, 8 gets you one 100 page book (or
ten 10 page documents).

Also if Share Energy is available you can keep doubling. ie 16 will get you
one copy of a 1000 page book (two castings will get you the Bible which is
actually a library of books) and 32 pumps out 10000 pages worth of
material. If the caster is in a Very High mana/sancuary then his energy is
renewed the next second.

Even in a 50 person monastery you could have one scribe with the help of
his fellows (assuming that such locations are High sancuary) capable of
pumping out 10000 pages worth of material every six seconds! You have a
human printing press able to put out at a level unheard of until the Steam
age. The effects of this alone would be enormous.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:10:45 -0600, Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com>
wrote:

>> Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
>> who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
>> expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes.
>
>This depends wildly on the the magic system. GURPS Magic and Fantasy give a
>huge range of magic system that work WAY differently than D&D magic does.

Yes, but that's hardly relevant here. I'd eagerly participate in a
new Magic vs Technology thread in the GURPS newsgroup, though.

Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
> In article <slrndc3s90.pt5.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>
>> Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > But the problem is you are dumping magic in this world which throws the
>> > *effective* Technology level off. GURPS uses TLx+y to show this.
>> > Technomancer (called Merlin in Infinate Worlds) is at TL7+1 or higher than
>> > our own TL7 but that is due to magic. The average D&D world seems to range
>> > from TL2+2 (Age of Sail, 1450+) to TL 3+2 (Industrial Revolution, 1730+)
>> > which throws any assumption on the 'historic' Middle Ages out the window.
>>
>> ... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
>> line on my previous message.)
>>
>> We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
>> that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
>> gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
>> equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.
>>
>> Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
>> who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
>> expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes.
>
> This depends wildly on the the magic system. GURPS Magic and Fantasy
> give a huge range of magic system that work WAY differently than D&D
> magic does.

Sure. But, given that this is a D&D group, I took your earlier comment
to be an attempt to use GURPS to illustrate a difference between the
levels of technology. That is, we (or at least *I*) was still
discussing how D&D magic would apply.

In short, not much.

If you start discussing other systems, with different rules, that's an
entirely different matter. You should indicate that that is your intent
so you can be followed.

>> Basically, while magic allows for great results in some cases, they're
>> still less than you'd see in modern times, in the *common* case. Yes,
>> you might be able to use /remove disease/ to cure AIDS, but there'll
>> still be a lot of people dying of pneumonia or dysentery... especially
>> if they still have the open sewers in the streets.

[snipped GURPS stuff]

> Even in a 50 person monastery you could have one scribe with the help
> of his fellows (assuming that such locations are High sancuary)
> capable of pumping out 10000 pages worth of material every six
> seconds! You have a human printing press able to put out at a level
> unheard of until the Steam age. The effects of this alone would be
> enormous.

I will stipulate that magic as ruled *in another game* could in fact
have far-reaching effect. However, 'rec.games.frp.dnd' -- I wasn't
discussing GURPS.

Hell, I could say "if magic in D&D were way cheaper and more easily
replenished and readily available to everyone, then it would make a huge
difference in the quality of life". It could be accurate, too.
However, magic in D&D *isn't* so, at least in 'regular core games'.

Keith

David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:53:52 GMT, Keith Davies
><keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>
>>... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
>>line on my previous message.)
>>
>>We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
>>that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
>>gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
>>equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.
>>
>>Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
>>who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
>>expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes. Yes, /remove disease/
>>could cure someone with the Black Plague, but once it started to spread
>>you'd only be able to save certain individuals.
>
> True. Spell casters are usually a minority, sometimes a really small
> minority, and most of them shouldn't be higher than 3rd level. And
> it's easy for someone who is primarily a GURPS player to forget how
> constrained D&D magic users are. Basicly for lower class types you
> aren't going to get access to much more than 0 level spells.
>

> So what impact would the 0-level spells have on people's lives?
>
> Create Water: Can help tide the village over when the water source
> has been contaminated until a high level cleric can come and deal with
> the problem or when there's just plain a water shortage. A 3rd level
> cleric (who I'll take as "typical") can produce something like 36
> gallons a day.

Third level clerics probably shouldn't be considered typical. They
won't be uncommon, but there really aren't *that* many of them. At
least according to the demographic tables in the DMG.

Also, 36 gallons of water really isn't that much. It's about 3.5 cubic
feat.

I use more than that when I take a bath.

IIRC, according to DMG you need about a gallon a day, all things
considered. That means that this third-level cleric could keep maybe
three dozen people alive during a drought (and possibly fewer, if it's
also hot). This is without considering crops or animals.

He's not going to make that much difference here.

> Cure Minor Wounds: Cure spells seem to prevent or at least discourage
> infection apart from the actual damage they restore, at least as much
> as modern first aid disinfection. _Big_ difference. And you aren't
> going to see so many villagers hurting themselves per day that you
> can't keep ahead of it. And a Cure Minor really speeds up a 1st level
> character's recuperation from injury.

Indeed it would. I'll even allow that a cleric in a poor farming
village wouldn't charge the villagers the normal 15gp casting cost
(10 * spell level * caster level, * 1/2 because it's a 0-level spell).

> Detect Poison: Is going to help track down the sources of water and
> food chemical contamination related illnesses fairly easily. Much
> more easily in fact than modern medical investigators could do it.

Pretty much.

> Guidance: Effectively means that all the farmers have a +1 for their
> professional skill check for the year because it lasts "until
> discharged".

.... no, don't think so. "1 minute or until discharged" takes the
*lesser* of the two durations.

> Now, note that there is no "Detect Disease" spell in the book
> officially, but it makes sense that it could be detected at the same
> level as Poison or maybe one higher. That would help a lot with
> quarantining contagion.

I wrote one, 0 level (it's rather handy at the right time, but not
generally useful and has little 'real' effect).

In fact, using augmentations (non-core rules here) I had a general form:

Detect Condition
level 0: detect a single type of condition, or that a condition of
some sort is present
level 1: detect and identify type of condition

Each round after the first tells you more on a successful check (like
/detect magic/), but the most general 'detect condition' only
indicates presence or absence.

That is, with /detect poison/ you could determine absolutely whether
something was poisoned, and with a successful Heal check identify the
poison. /detect disease/ was the same -- "he is diseased" *check "the
clap. You've bee naughty, haven't you?"

Or you could do the generic form for triage purposes. "clear clear
clear disease clear wounded clear clear infested clear..." (or rather,
"not clear... disease"), then follow up with more specific examination
and treatment.

This was handy because /remove condition/ has a negative augmentation if
you know exactly what you're treating (reduces spell level by one if you
know you're curing a cold or treating cobra venom, rather than the more
general /remove disease/ or /remove poison/).

Keith

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:37:03 GMT, Keith Davies
<keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

>Third level clerics probably shouldn't be considered typical. They
>won't be uncommon, but there really aren't *that* many of them. At
>least according to the demographic tables in the DMG.
>
>Also, 36 gallons of water really isn't that much. It's about 3.5 cubic
>feat.
>
>I use more than that when I take a bath.

Which why bathing is counter-indicated during a drought.

>IIRC, according to DMG you need about a gallon a day,

The DMG is wrong. Well sort of. A gallon a day isn't an unreasonable
level of drinking for people who want to remain hydrated while
engaging in moderate daily exercise. But for people who are mostly
just lying around in whatever shade is available waiting for the
drought to break, and who are only drinking the minimum required to
stay alive, (rather than the optimum to stay healthy) they can get by
on a lot less water than that, at least for a while.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 01:09:03 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston)
scribed into the ether:

>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:37:03 GMT, Keith Davies
><keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>

>>Third level clerics probably shouldn't be considered typical. They
>>won't be uncommon, but there really aren't *that* many of them. At
>>least according to the demographic tables in the DMG.
>>
>>Also, 36 gallons of water really isn't that much. It's about 3.5 cubic
>>feat.
>>
>>I use more than that when I take a bath.
>
>Which why bathing is counter-indicated during a drought.
>

>>IIRC, according to DMG you need about a gallon a day,
>
>The DMG is wrong. Well sort of. A gallon a day isn't an unreasonable
>level of drinking for people who want to remain hydrated while
>engaging in moderate daily exercise. But for people who are mostly
>just lying around in whatever shade is available waiting for the
>drought to break, and who are only drinking the minimum required to
>stay alive, (rather than the optimum to stay healthy) they can get by
>on a lot less water than that, at least for a while.

Don't forget the stillsuits!

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <42c96b14.23577986@news.telusplanet.net>,
rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:10:45 -0600, Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
> >> who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
> >> expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes.
> >
> >This depends wildly on the the magic system. GURPS Magic and Fantasy give a
> >huge range of magic system that work WAY differently than D&D magic does.
>
> Yes, but that's hardly relevant here. I'd eagerly participate in a
> new Magic vs Technology thread in the GURPS newsgroup, though.

Ask and you shall recieve. :)

Bruce Grubb wrote:
> In article <slrndck2uq.q56.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>
> > According to DMG3.0 community-building tables (and I understand these
> > tables haven't changed in DMG3.5), a community with <=80 is a thorp.
> > That has a community modifier of -3. Clerics are d6+community modifer;
> > there's only a 1/6 chance a community this size would *have* a Clr3.
> >
> > That is, in the case of a drought there's a 1/6 chance there would be a
> > cleric present in such a thorp with enough power to provide water for
> > the people, for a while at least. And, assuming your estimate was
> > correct, it'd take all his mojo to do it (no healing or other magics for
> > the duration).
>
> I forget do these tables include Adapt (the NPC version of spell casters
> like the Cleric and Wizard)? If not that royally hoses your calculations.
>
> > That is, in core D&D magic can help in specific instances, but I don't
> > think it'd make a huge difference overall. To some people, yes, but
> > relatively few -- not enough to say that it markedly changes the
> > society.
>
> The flip side of this problem is given all the supernatural critters in the
> MM how could such a community survive with so little magic?

Villages generally pay taxes to a noble or a city, and receive
protection in return. Just the way it worked IRL.

And of course, sometimes the system breaks down. That's when you get a
pillaged/razed/annihilated village.

Btw: the supernatural critters in the MM aren't supposed to roam the
countryside under normal circumstances. They're supposed to roam the
wildlands. When they start roaming the countryside, that's when you
send out the call for idiots^H^H^H^H^H^Hheroic adventurers.

Laszlo

David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:37:03 GMT, Keith Davies
><keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>

>>Third level clerics probably shouldn't be considered typical. They
>>won't be uncommon, but there really aren't *that* many of them. At
>>least according to the demographic tables in the DMG.
>>
>>Also, 36 gallons of water really isn't that much. It's about 3.5
>>cubic feat.
>>
>>I use more than that when I take a bath.
>
> Which why bathing is counter-indicated during a drought.

It was meant as an example of how *little* water that really is, not
saying "it wouldn't meet my needs". 36 gallons is a lot less than most
people think.

>>IIRC, according to DMG you need about a gallon a day,
>
> The DMG is wrong. Well sort of. A gallon a day isn't an unreasonable
> level of drinking for people who want to remain hydrated while
> engaging in moderate daily exercise. But for people who are mostly
> just lying around in whatever shade is available waiting for the
> drought to break, and who are only drinking the minimum required to
> stay alive, (rather than the optimum to stay healthy) they can get by
> on a lot less water than that, at least for a while.

For a little while, maybe; I haven't actually looked up real minimum
daily water requirements.

Let's pretend only two quarts are needed per day. A 3rd-level cleric
can therefore support about 70 people besides himself (assuming that any
livestock or other animals either take care of themselves -- gaining
moisture through what little grass remains, say -- or has died or is
dying).

In article <slrndcjkna.q56.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

> Bruce Grubb <bgrubb@zianet.com> wrote:
> > In article <slrndc3s90.pt5.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> > Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

> >> ... and now the branched thread. (And yes, I know I changed the subject
> >> line on my previous message.)
> >>
> >> We could posit the existence of magic and try to determine what effect
> >> that would have on the situation. It may be that between magic and the
> >> gods taking a direct hand medicine could be considered roughly
> >> equivalent to our own in terms of effectiveness.
> >>
> >> Me, I suspect not. Where you've got some making things better, those
> >> who want to make things worse have comparable tools. RAW, magic is too
> >> expensive to be used for 'mundane' purposes.
> >
> > This depends wildly on the the magic system. GURPS Magic and Fantasy
> > give a huge range of magic system that work WAY differently than D&D
> > magic does.
>
> Sure. But, given that this is a D&D group, I took your earlier comment
> to be an attempt to use GURPS to illustrate a difference between the
> levels of technology. That is, we (or at least *I*) was still
> discussing how D&D magic would apply.

This opens up the issue of what falls under 'magic' For D&D one tends to
focus on spells almost to the exclusion of all else but GURPS Fantasy
reminds you that is more MUCH MORE.

First you have kinds of magic items: Natural, Alchemy (which in D&D is
really wimpy compared to GURPS), Enchantment, Fetiches, and Holy Relics.

Natural magical items are a real problem in D&D as there is little
indication on how common or accessable they are. Obviously Dragon's blood
is not something Joe Shmoe Commoner is going to be able to easily get but
Mistletoe berry from a oak was though to having healing properties (In
reality Mistletoe berries are poisonous) and Moly which can mess up magical
spells would be easy to get. The idea of plants having low magic
properties in D&D showed up in "Wounds and Weeds" (Dragon #82)

Powdered Unicorn horn is another example of natural magic and with all the
magical critters running lose they may be no shortage of this kind of magic.

Then you have the *type* of magic: Low, Formulaic, and High. D&D Spell
casting is high Magic but this still leave Formulaic (spell casting as it
tends to be described in myth and legend) and Low (the home remedy level)

Finally you have the issue of how common each of these is; something D&D is
not helpful at at all. Sure you have good handle on the High magic and
enchantments but little else. 'D&D magic' is just not spells.

In article <slrndck2uq.q56.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:

> According to DMG3.0 community-building tables (and I understand these
> tables haven't changed in DMG3.5), a community with <=80 is a thorp.
> That has a community modifier of -3. Clerics are d6+community modifer;
> there's only a 1/6 chance a community this size would *have* a Clr3.
>
> That is, in the case of a drought there's a 1/6 chance there would be a
> cleric present in such a thorp with enough power to provide water for
> the people, for a while at least. And, assuming your estimate was
> correct, it'd take all his mojo to do it (no healing or other magics for
> the duration).

I forget do these tables include Adapt (the NPC version of spell casters
like the Cleric and Wizard)? If not that royally hoses your calculations.

> That is, in core D&D magic can help in specific instances, but I don't
> think it'd make a huge difference overall. To some people, yes, but
> relatively few -- not enough to say that it markedly changes the
> society.

The flip side of this problem is given all the supernatural critters in the
MM how could such a community survive with so little magic? This is where
D&D has major problems: it tries to keep the spell casing classes rare and
yet has dozens of magical critters running amok though the countryside.