Computer Won't Reboot, I have to power it down

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
My newly built PC has been running for several weeks now and over the past few days I've noticed it will not successfully Restart or Power Down.
It appears to be going through the process... you see the message about shutting down processes, it churns for a little while then the screen eventually goes black and it stops there. I've left it in this state for 10-15 minutes and come back and it's the same... no shut down or no restart.
I have to eventually use the power button to complete the shutdown and power back on after that.

Is this a hardware or software issue?
What can I do to fix this?
There's the fear that when I shut down it may never come back up again.
thanks in advance.

Ken

Solution
try using msconfig turn everything off in startup..could be two programs or a damaged anti virus that holding the system from restarting. try booting into safe mode and then restart the poc see if the same issue is there. if not i would uninstall your anti virus and then see if the error stops. if it does then you had a damaged anti virus program.

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
The entire system is less than 3 weeks old and the power supply is the newest component in the mix. It's a Corsair GS600 with an AMD 6 core processor and a low power video card.
Any way to confirm that it's the power supply... a bad power supply?

try using msconfig turn everything off in startup..could be two programs or a damaged anti virus that holding the system from restarting. try booting into safe mode and then restart the poc see if the same issue is there. if not i would uninstall your anti virus and then see if the error stops. if it does then you had a damaged anti virus program.

Solution
Download the "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" version for your Windows OS.. it can speed-up the Shutdown Process reducing or forcing the time to shutdown non responding applications, processes, dlls and services. It's a standalone portable application so you don't have to install anything to try it. If it doesn't help, check the Power Saving settings and/or scan for malware/virus.

For Windows 7
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Ultimate-Windows-Tweaker.shtml

For Windows 8
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/05/09/windows-tweaker-4-released-now-windows-8-compatible/

It's apparently not for Windows XP which is not mentioned in the compatible OSs.. but it should work since it edit the registry and what works for one should works for other Windows... but on XP use this similar application (just in case).

MZ Ultimate Tweaker (for XP)
http://mz-ultimate-tweaker.softonic.com/

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I used msconfig and turned everything off in the startup section. That seemed to work. I then turned everything back on except two items (one was core temp) and it shut down/rebooted fine. Not sure if that is a permanent fix or just an anomaly. For now I'm happy.
thanks
Ken

cpuken

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Gonna download and try the Teak software also, one can never be too relaxed about the crap that creeps in over time. Thanks for that heads up.
Ken