Help desperately needed!

Insouciant

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I have had my Acer AL712 since 2003. After a couple years of use, the display started having difficulties staying lit. Pressing the on/off switch repeatedly would bring it back to life for a few hours. I tolerated it for a number of months until the display finally would not stay on at all, and so I sent it in for repair under warranty.

It took more than six weeks to get the monitor back. The repaired monitor failed for the same reason within two weeks and I had to send it back again. This time around, they took just as long to fix it. It would have taken longer had I not called them after they repeatedly broke their promise to deliver.

After I had got back my monitor for the second time, a new problem arose. The display would get corrupted at random. I sent the monitor back four more times for this new problem. Each time I got the monitor back, it would fail within a week or two. Twice it failed within hours. The temporary fix was to switch off the power for half an hour or more.

The original monitor was repaired initially and later replaced with refurbished units. It made no difference whatsoever. This problem has spanned over ten months through winter and summer, so I am certain it has nothing to do with the ambient temperature. Also, my room is not particularly dusty.

After the fourth time that the repaired/refurbished monitor had failed, I began to suspect that it was due to my video card. The CRT monitor that my friend had lent me all this while never had a problem. Maybe, it had something to do with the DVI output from the video card or DVI cable that I use with the LCD monitor. Then again, when the display corruption occurs, I could turn off the monitor, unplug the DVI cable and turn on the monitor again to see the same corrupted display with no input signal at all.

So, my question is whether it is possible that a corrupted video signal (due to bad cable or video card output) could permanently damage the electronics on an LCD monitor.

It needs to be said that the quality of the repair service at Acer Australia has been nothing short of shoddy. Once, I received a monitor with grime all over. Another time, it had a deep half-inch scratch in the middle of screen. Also, there was an occasion when the refurbished monitor had a region of smudged/discoloured pixels along most of the top edge of the screen. Not to forget that in all their generosity, they have thrown in a power cable a couple of times, but last one had a wrong plug!

Sorry for the long post. It has been ten months and seven failures and I am completely baffled and exasperated. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!

Note that in the last two pictures, the monitor was actually placed in the hallway with just the power connected. My video card is a GeCube 9800 Pro 128MB.