Sign in with
Your question

Hammer IPC question

Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2002 7:42:25 PM

Although I doubt many will know this really, let us say you look at a table showing the Hammer speccs, compared to K7. The IPC for a Palomino is saying 9, P4 has 7. Would it be safe to assume Hammer's will say above 10?

Also with such IPC and non-requiring high insane clock speeds, can bandwidth issues still appear, such as the need to use higher than PC2700, at say 2GHZ, even as Athlons can still work well under PC2100 and 266MHZ FSB at such speeds?

--
Meow

More about : hammer ipc question

June 8, 2002 8:40:04 PM

can you explain me that scaling?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2002 8:53:38 PM

I won't speculate about upcoming hardware but...

It is my feeling that increasing the amount of instructions completed per clock cycle would necessarily require a corresponding increase in memory/CPU bandwidth requirements for ideal operation. The thing is we haven't been close to ideal operation for quite a while now. Now we merely claw and kick our way to any small increase in said bandwidth we can get to compliment what we know we will get on the CPU performance side as a result of Moores law.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 8, 2002 9:05:36 PM

Yes but technically saying, it should be above 9, right? That is if I was reading a table, by any site like THG too.

--
Meow
June 8, 2002 9:14:02 PM

According to Moore, RAM is supposed to increase in speed and size along w/ processing power, on the same curve.

I sold my sig for $50.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2002 9:14:52 PM

I have no idea. I wish I could help.
June 8, 2002 9:16:05 PM

IPC tends to go down as clockspeed ramps up.

I sold my sig for $50.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2002 9:16:58 PM

I guess that isn't right.
June 8, 2002 9:26:51 PM

Yes but it supposedly starts at a lower clock than AthlonXP's

--
Meow
June 8, 2002 9:32:39 PM

If 9 is your axp rating multiply that by 135%, so around 12 is the ipc for hammer.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 8, 2002 9:33:05 PM

Wont even make a guess then....

I sold my sig for $50.
June 8, 2002 9:34:11 PM

Where did you get the 135% from?

I sold my sig for $50.
June 8, 2002 9:36:02 PM

Hammer is 35% faster ipc than axp, to find the number for hammer multiply the axp by 1.35, or 135%.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
June 8, 2002 11:00:11 PM

Yeah logically that makes sense. They indeed beat the disadvantage a bigger pipeline brings. Assuming it had 10 stages, the IPC would have been 20% higher than the current one too!
I just can't wait to see 1.6GHZ+ samples, with 512K L2 cache. Indeed if that website was right, then Clawhammer might just be AMD's new flagship, and that it won't have put all its eggs in the basket carrying a huge risk, as Slvr once stated. (though not exactly like that)
Let us hope the CH carries such an improvement in the end, and its price will be justifyiable. BTW according to the website's results, it had a big ~50% improvement over the MP 800MHZ (Palomino core?), and also without the 512K cache. It might just mean that the CH could up the average IPC increase up to 40% from there! Let us hope though, it would be well enough to compete the latest Intel by then, and I think that would bring a very nice competition to the market, and indeed a product that would ressemble the upgrading from 286 to 386 times as some said. I can only imagine MPeg 4 encoding, and Lightwave 7B benchs, WITH SSE 2 too!

--
Meow
!