(not about CPUs but...) internet in USA ?

tommygun

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
I am sorry to post this here in the CPU forum, but since no other forum is more relevant, I am posting it here where more people might read it.

I will be in the USA (east coast-PHI & NY) for maybe 10 days next month and I wanted to know what can I do about an internet connection?

I have a laptop with a 56k modem and a 10Mbps baseT RJ45 & coaxial connection.

I would like to use it in my hotel, or in a public library.

Are there any hotels or public libraries or other places that offer you internet access?
Should I go to a computer shop and ask to buy a limited time connection?
Should I try getting one as a gift when buying a CPU or videocard or RAM for my desktop?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks.

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Personally, I would just call some hotels and check. I would not come to THGC for that type of question.

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.csaa.com/home/" target="_new">This link</A> should have the correct information your looking for.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

tommygun

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
No need to attack me. I was basically asking if it is common for hotels in USA to provide internet access (which I though some of THGC members might know) or should I go and buy a subscription. I don't know why you got offended.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't think he was offended, just saying you probably won't get as much info.

Do you know what hotel you'll be staying at? You can get internet access at most public libraries, but you won't be able to connect your own computer to do so. Most large hotels have internet access, but you'll probably have to pay for it.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you get a nationwide internet connection with lots of servers everywhere (such a Compuserv), you can connect through any phoneline. 99% of US hotels have phones with free local calling.

Some services such as AOL offer free trial periods of as much as 1000 hours. Just make sure you cancel your subscription 2 or 3 times, they are fond of loosing cancellations and billing you for time you don't use after the free period expires.

Mostly business class hotels are the ones with LAN connections, you would have to call to find out. But if you can't afford or find one of those places, you can use the phone line as stated above.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?