Why wont my computer connect to my tv

Julia Brandt

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I ussed to have my Tv connected to my computer, this was when I had the Windows Vista, but when a computer technician installed Windows 7 on my computer it did not recognise my Tv even tho I have changed the screen resolution to 800x600, 1024x768 ect. If I am not mistaking he also changed my graphic drivers. I then connected my old CRT monitor and it works just fine. Please help me connect my Tv to my computer again.
Sincerely Julia Brandt

Julia Brandt

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for this link, the site is quite helpful, but my Tv still won`t connect, even tho I checked if the VGA to VGA cable was connected, selected the right input on the Tv and set the resolution to a minimum, I`m getting really frustrated now...

MC_K7

Distinguished
Julia, you didn't say if you switched your TV to the right input. It's likely to be your problem. VGA connection is usually labelled as "PC" or "VGA" on most TVs but check your manual.

As suggested before, did you check if your graphics drivers are up to date? What video card do you have?

Also, if you have other connection options behind your PC (on your video card) you will get a better image quality if you use a HDMI connection instead of VGA for example. If you don't have a HDMI output on your video card, you might have a DVI or displayport instead, but those can be converted to HDMI using an adapter, it might be worth considering.

MC_K7

Distinguished

Hmmm... strange, especially if you tried with very low resolutions like 1024 x 768....

But one thing I could see is that you said you connected to CRT, one problem could be the refresh rate. Older CRT monitors could have higher refresh rates like 75hz, 90hz, even 120hz, etc... Check this and lower it to 60hz and try to connect to TV again.

Julia Brandt

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I have a normal tower PC. And everything was connected as before and it had been working working just fine until I got the Windows 7. I remembered that the technician also replaced the hard drive, but he did not replace the graphics card, I think he only changed the graphic drivers.... as you asume I am not very familliar with computers

MC_K7

Distinguished
Did you try to change the refresh rate in the graphics options as I suggested? (See my previous post, try to lower it to 60hz if it was set higher for your CRT).

If that still doesn't work, can you tell us what is your video card? And what other outputs do you have on it? Like HDMI, DVI, Displayport, etc... All these outputs will work better than VGA on a modern TV (assuming your TV has HDMI inputs). If your PC doesn't have an HDMI output, if instead you have DVI or Displayport, those can be converted to HDMI using an adapter. All these options should give you better image quality compared to VGA.

Julia Brandt

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I changed the refresh rate to 60Hz and I still didn`t work at theese resolutions: 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768. And this might also be of importance: my Tv goes into stand by mode if it is in PC mode and there is no connection to a computer. But when I connect the VGA cable it does not go into stand by mode. So it stays on but there is no picture.
My Tv also has a HDMI input and my computer also has a DVI output, but I only have a VGA cable. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT.

MC_K7

Distinguished
If the problem wasn't the refresh rate, then I am out of idea.

Since you have a DVI output, I would suggest you buy a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, it's really cheap and it should give you a better image quality (and automatic image adjustment, so you shouldn't have to play with the graphics settings on the PC). You should be able to find this at any computer store. Here they sell it for 5$ at Bestbuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eForCity+-+DVI+M+TO+HDMI+F+GOLD+1080P+PC+MAC+ADAPTER+CONVERTER+HD/4595945.p?id=1218492470590&skuId=4595945&sellerId=35247640&st=dvi%20adapter&cp=1&lp=2

Of course if you don't have a spare HDMI cable you will have to buy one as well. Check the distance between the PC and the TV, but here's a 10-feet cable for instance it's not too expensive:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eForCity+-+M+M+High+Speed+HDMI+Cable+1.3a%2C+10+FT+3+M+-+Black/1304919890.p?id=mp1304919890&skuId=1304919890&sellerId=35247640

Just change your TV to the right HDMI input and the detection should be automatic (it should adjust resolution and other stuff to optimal settings without having to touch anything).