Is this a good idea?

rookywithskills

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Hey people, I have a amd k6-2 running at 400mhz, with 128mb of ram and 4mb internal video on sis 530. i want to build me a new computer and was wondering if those new xeon 2.2ghz cpu's are worth there money. when they are installed do they both combine and run at 4.4ghz or do they switch off when one gets hot? or are the amd 2000mp cpus better? thanks for your replies

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
What are you planning to do with your computer? Dual CPU is not worth unless you are using specific aplications that take advantage of it. These are some render and 3D applications. THG has an article explaining. I think it's "Dual trap" or something like this.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Dual CPUs are highly expensive and unnecessary (unless you are doing major workstation or server multi-tasking)

If you are trying to run high end games like Morrowind, you'd be fine with an Athlon XP.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual CPU's will only give you better performance in a very few applications which are usually professional in nature. Your system will be 2.2GHz, it will perform like it only has one CPU most of the time.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?