Active License Key not same as the Stickered one

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows 7
  • License
Last response: in Windows 7
March 3, 2013 2:06:43 PM

Hi,
I just found out that the Windows 7 product key active in my Laptop is not the same as the Windows Key stickered on the back of it. Does it mean that i can use the Key available on the sticker to install another windows in another pc ?
Additionally, in case my laptop crashes, can i reuse the already active key for repair and reinstall of windows ?

More about : active license key stickered

a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2013 2:08:33 PM

its likely they are for different versions.

e.g. the one on the laptop is for basic and the one that i activated is for home edition etc
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 425 $ Windows 7
March 3, 2013 2:11:26 PM

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. That's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home.

B) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom or sometimes in a laptop's battery compartment) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as this case when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone.

In other words: No you can't use the "other so called key" they are tied together.

microsoft.com
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2013 3:47:33 PM

As SR-71 mentioned it is normal -- the key on the sticker is only needed if something happens to the Bios from the manufacturer where the factory installed license will not activate. The manufacturer uses the same key for all of their MOBOs during the factory install but are required to include the unique code on the COA certificate to show that they have purchased a copy of the license for every system the ship. Sometimes these preinstalled keys will stop working if you update the BIOS for some reason (ie. to update the list of supported CPUs, etc.) on the system and then you need the code on the sticker in order to get the activation working. So while the key may work for activating another system it is not a legal use of the code and could result in problems down the road if\when you need it for a reactivation of the laptop license and doing so would be a violation of the EULA and considered an illegal copy of the OS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 3, 2013 3:49:31 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. That's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home.

B) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom or sometimes in a laptop's battery compartment) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as this case when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone.

In other words: No you can't use the "other so called key" they are tied together.

microsoft.com

Never knew that, interesting read!
m
l
March 4, 2013 6:30:40 AM

Thank you very much SR-71 & JDFan for the inputs.
Not that i meant to promote piracy, but if i had a fair (and legal) chance of using something free of cost (which otherwise would cost considerable), i would definitely explore the option.
Now its clear that both keys are tied to each other and have repurcussions if used otherwise.
m
l
March 4, 2013 6:31:15 AM

Best answer selected by Manoranjan2012.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 425 $ Windows 7
March 4, 2013 4:40:18 PM

Manoranjan2012 < thanks for using the forum,come back soon.
m
l
!