Help With Building My Comp

BLiNDSHoT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Whats up everybody. Im building a new comp with all kinds of stuff. I have my specs listed below for it. Ialso have some questions about certain things, i will state these after my specs.

AMD XP 2200+
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Enermax 431 Watt Whisper Power Supply
2X 40 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HD's
Generic Floppy Drive
Sony DVD-ROM 16X
Lite-On 40x-12x-48x
Corsair PC 2700 CAS 2.0 512 MB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Audigy Gamer
Klipsch Promedia 4.1
NV30 Geforce 5 or whatever
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse
Kingwin KT-436 ATX Case
Windows XP Home ED.

Well those are my specs. I hope that they are good and stuff. Yeah I know the NV30 comes out in Sept. i will need a temperary solution until than. I know the Turtle Beach is a more stable card than the Audigy but I heard that the Audigy is faster and has better sound hardware than the Turtle Beach. i have also heard that the Audigy hates Windows XP (Squeal of Death as they call it) and it had conflicts with the KT266 chipset. What about the KT333? I would get the Santa Cruz but the Advanced EAX sounds good, even though it is not fully supported by games yet. I am also going to increase the FSB or whatever to 166, hope it works.

I am also looking for a good heatsink that can keep my CPU cool if I overclock it to 2.0 Ghrz. I dont have that much money to spend so sub $50.00 would be the best. I am also thinking of getting a Geforce 2MX until the NV30 comes out. I want the NV30 because it is supposed to have 3Dfx tech in it. Any better suggestions for a temporary Video Card?

I also want to know what the heck RAID is. Would my harddrives be faster if I got a RAID Array set up? Well I would appreciate any input. i think that i can build this system for about 1800. I am going to run games like Warcraft 3, Doom 3, Quake 3 stuff. it will also be used for school and all that good stuff.
Thanx alot ;)

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Why even bother w/ anything that might give you conflict? Not worth the headache imo. Go turtle beach if that's the case.
RAID...You can run those drives RAID. You'll set em up to run as one drive, RAID 0 (Or striping). Higher data throughput, blah, blah........it's faster then no RAID.
3DFX Tech? What's that mean? Like going back to miniGL? Software rendering?
When do you plan on putting this all together?

I sold my sig for $50.

BLiNDSHoT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Thanx about the RAID stuff guess i will do it. The 3Dfx stuff is supposed to be some big thing. As you know nVida bought out 3Dfx, i think. The NV30 is supposed to be the first card to incorporate the 3Dfx technology with the Geforce. You know all the anti-aliasing technolgies that they had. Im not to sure what it means but I heard that 3Dfx was a good company and it is supposed to be some big thing to have a GeForce-Voodoo hybrid. I belive i heard that it is supposed to incorporate updated Voodoo 5500 stuff into it, cant remember where though, it just sounded good.Here is the site i just found:

http://rashly3dfx.tripod.com/information/company.html

The info is more toward the bottom.

I am going start building it at the end of June or July most likely. By the way, any heatsink suggestions? Temporary video cards?
Thanx

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Try a geforce2MX I guess....Or a radeon 8500LE, those are pretty good for the $$. 3DFX WAS a good company because they pushed gaming on the PC. But they got a little greedy and refused to share.....till this day people that dont own a 3dfx card have to use a glide wrapper to see games written for glide, minigl, in 3d.

I sold my sig for $50.

BLiNDSHoT

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Uh, sorry I am new at building comps so what is the new aim chipset. I also have been told to consider waiting for the Barton, whatever that is, or the ClawHammer.