Only a 5% overclock on the T-Bred?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Even I was expecting more than that. Take a look <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020610/thoroughbred-09.html" target="_new">here</A>. Send any flames to those who wrote the article. I am merely the messenger. ;)

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hehe, good to see you back here too Raystonn. There's nothing to flame about, it's merely a fact. The Barton is near anyway. My P4 is on the way! :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You folks were expecting this? Whatever happened to the claims that AMD's shrink to 0.13 micron would enable overclocks similar to those seen with the Northwood Pentium 4?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I'm finally looking at upgrading my main system yet again. Tired with PC1066 RDRAM and a 50% overclock, I am looking at the available options that might work at PC1200. The P4T533-C looks promising but I will have to investigate further.

-Raystonn

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Mat were are cutie je me payer ta tete.

T-bred will rock NW it barely beat Palamino and it allready using higher voltage (if i remember well it to keep mobo compatibility)

LOL my predict still hold the true
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 06/09/02 11:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I know never to expect anything........even if they do demo a working air cooled sample at +2ghz.....How many times did I hear that brought up in arguments?

I sold my sig for $50.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Really the AMD results are somewhat embarassing. The Northwood to me is clearly superior in most things and cheaper if you overclock. Maybe the Barton can even it up somewhat, by then Intel will be pushing 3000 mhz. Right now I firmly believe Intel has the performance and overclocking crown. Price wise I really don't see that much advantage using AMD at the moment. If I was going to build a system right now it would have to be an Intel system flat out. Well I have 3-6 months before I will do that, hopefully things will change for the better :smile: .

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Not sure about this normalie toms will show T-bred in about 4 to 6 hour so we will see if that true
This is the article that will be placed on their main page in a few hours. I have simply posted a link to the article earlier than they had intended to make the article public. It is not going to change in the next few hours. ;)

-Raystonn

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
My 2.75 ghz P4 is running on a P4T533-C. It would crash whenever I tried to OC even by two mhz....

Then I changed the ram multiplier to 4x instead of auto. Doesn't really matter cuz I'm using Pc1066 kingston rdram anyways.

Anyways, I've gotten my 2.53 all the way up to 2.95 ghz 100% stable with no voltage increases or special cpu coolers (just the intel one).

Running it now at 2.75 though because I don't want to stress the other components too much.

3dmark at 2.75 ghz 13,300 (ti4600). 2.95 ghz = 13,700.
At default 2.53 it was 12,600

Oh yeah my leadtek GF4 crashes at 320mhz/700...so those benchmarks were run at 315/690, where it's completely stable.

Not sure how this pertains to what you were talking about, but I just saw P4T533-C.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I have click on the link after have reply anyway i have edit my post,still all rumor say 10 juin i wonder if toms got a spécial permision

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
ahahhahaha

I knew u couldn't wait to post this...

INTEL fans all over the globe are in glee and happy....

i will be fed my share of crow on a few forums from the INTEL FAITHFUL

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get a load of the clamp for the hsf, you'll need a f'n crow bar to get that sucker on LOL! is AMD listening to their customers?

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
Somewhat surprising and I guess disappointing for the AMD performance freaks.

However, I am at the budget end of the scale and I am quite happy to upgrade my Celeron 433 to an Athlon XP 1700+ which will give me roughly a 400% performance boost and leave me with more money to spend on my internet connection ;-)

What I still find hard to believe is that 1Ghz+ cpus are now budget?!?!

Many years ago I worked at a place that purchased a cutting edge 286 @ 4.7Mhz for USD 10,000.

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Quite disapointing, but I've stopped caring since I found out my A7A266 doesn't have the proper PCB revision to support the AXPs (figures). Now I'm stuck, unless the board goes bad in the next month (then the warranty expires), with only T-birds. Not that it matters much. I figure I'll sit and wait until the Hammer comes out to make my decision about my next upgrade. Not that my CPU is a bottleneck in any way, which is the reason for the Ti4400 coming FedEx tomorrow. Too bad for AMD... boo hoo... who the hell cares (cept those who made boasts about the T-bred). AMD decided 18 or more months ago that the Hammer would be the new flagship and right now they are just trying to keep the performance close, though they failed miserably at that with the 2200+.

On the topic of overclocking, I have yet to see any sites drop the multiplier down so that a 166MHz FSB would still be at the stock speed of the 2200+. Those are benches I'd like to see. Might allow them to win more than 2 out of 32 benches, eh?

That's, I think, where AMD failed. The 166MHz rumor might still hold for the Barton, but that's only heresay at this point.

Mat (and the others on the 25-50% OC bandwagon), you're all going to be eating a lot of crow in the coming days. I hope you brought a fork and salt. The fact that a 2100+ T-Bred can't even OC to the level of the Palomino 2100+ is horrible! Something to do with the core rearraingement?

-SammyBoy

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
On the topic of overclocking, I have yet to see any sites drop the multiplier down so that a 166MHz FSB would still be at the stock speed of the 2200+.

I'd like to see that too. We already know both Palomino and T-bred can handle the FSB...

The fact that a 2100+ T-Bred can't even OC to the level of the Palomino 2100+ is horrible! Something to do with the core rearraingement?

No, probably more to do with the reviewers (Frank & Bert this time) not really trying. Ace's got 1900-2000MHz out of the thing with just a cheap GlobalWin HSF, better than they got with the Pally and better than THG got with watercooling. There's a Danish site claiming to get 2GHz on the stock HSF, but all they showed was a POST screen.

While overclocking isn't what we'd hoped, and performance is clearly behind the fastest Northwood, it's worth noting that the PR rating still holds true, even with 533FSB Northwoods.

<pre>We now <b>return</b>(<font color=blue>-1</font color=blue>) to an irregular program scheduler.</pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 06/10/02 01:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey good to see you back.

Here is one of my <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/3122.jpg" target="_new">current ss</A>, I was trying more vcore, motherboard topped out at 170's FSB.

Playing with IT7 with XMS 3200 now, legacy free is very nice if you do not use LPT and com ports.

5% is pretty bad with "high quality" water cooling.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
5% is pretty bad with "high quality" water cooling.
you are right fugger 5% is ridiculous... makes u wander if they made a mistake?
also they were clocking the fsb so maybe the problem was with another component? ram or graphics card maybe? i would be more interested if they clocked using the multiplier. if the problem is with the tbred itself then amd obviously still have problems with the shrink.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Another 6% overclock from <A HREF="http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/amd_axp_2200.shtml" target="_new">Hot Hardware</A> "overclocked to 1917MHz" with watercooling.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
im a big amd fan but i have to admit intel are starting to look better...
anandtech got a similar review to toms except they gave oc results for diferent speed grades of tbred. by increasing the voltage to 1.85 they all got to about 1.8GHz. kinda suggests thats the limit of the core dont it?

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.