Old Dell Question

Picked up a couple od Optiplex 110s and have been trying to get them set up
to use. one seems to work fine. I have installed the Dell drivers and no
problems. the other has a problem with the video. It works fine for a few
minutes and then starts going on and off every 5 to 10 seconds before going
off after a minute or so. The only differences in the 2 are:
1 was set up for 98SE and the other 2000 Pro
and the hard drives are different brands but both test fine. The memory is
128 for one and 256 for the other? Any help appreciated.
Andy

monitor problem???

"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Picked up a couple od Optiplex 110s and have been trying to get them set
> up
> to use. one seems to work fine. I have installed the Dell drivers and no
> problems. the other has a problem with the video. It works fine for a few
> minutes and then starts going on and off every 5 to 10 seconds before
> going
> off after a minute or so. The only differences in the 2 are:
> 1 was set up for 98SE and the other 2000 Pro
> and the hard drives are different brands but both test fine. The memory is
> 128 for one and 256 for the other? Any help appreciated.
> Andy

run Dell diags. If it passes, change to a standard vga driver and try it
again.

"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Picked up a couple od Optiplex 110s and have been trying to get them set
> up
> to use. one seems to work fine. I have installed the Dell drivers and no
> problems. the other has a problem with the video. It works fine for a few
> minutes and then starts going on and off every 5 to 10 seconds before
> going
> off after a minute or so. The only differences in the 2 are:
> 1 was set up for 98SE and the other 2000 Pro
> and the hard drives are different brands but both test fine. The memory is
> 128 for one and 256 for the other? Any help appreciated.
> Andy

Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working. Will
try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and the
one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
Andy
(glad that my new 4600 runs well!)

Busman wrote:
> Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working. Will
> try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and the
> one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
> Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
> Andy
> (glad that my new 4600 runs well!)

Keep in mind that Windows drivers are not necessarily
interchangeable amongst the versions. For instance, the
Windows 2000 video drivers need to have been written
specifically for that OS. If the video drivers came off
the Dell utility cdrom, then it might be worthwhile to
visit the website of the video card maker and downloading
its version for the specific OS being used.

are you saying that the gx100 machine that you rebuilt with windows 98 is
having this problem? did you download and install the chipset drivers?
visit support.dell.com and enter the computer model to navigate to the
download page where you can obtain all drivers for the given operating
system, a bios update, and the hardware diagnostic program.

> Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working.
> Will
> try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and the
> one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
> Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
> Andy
> (glad that my new 4600 runs well!)
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> run Dell diags. If it passes, change to a standard vga driver and try it
>> again.
>>
>> "Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> > Picked up a couple od Optiplex 110s and have been trying to get them
>> > set
>> > up
>> > to use. one seems to work fine. I have installed the Dell drivers and
>> > no
>> > problems. the other has a problem with the video. It works fine for a
> few
>> > minutes and then starts going on and off every 5 to 10 seconds before
>> > going
>> > off after a minute or so. The only differences in the 2 are:
>> > 1 was set up for 98SE and the other 2000 Pro
>> > and the hard drives are different brands but both test fine. The memory
> is
>> > 128 for one and 256 for the other? Any help appreciated.
>> > Andy

FYI, the GX100 uses either the Intel 440BX or an Intel 815 chipset, depending on
vintage. The Intel web site also downloads for the chipset and graphics drivers
(any recent Windows OS) which work just fine in any brand of computer with
these chips inside.

The Dell web site is one of the best for finding drivers for a system, as long
as the OS for which drivers are needed is supported and recognized by Dell.

I set up a GX100 with Windows 95 as an el cheapo print server for an HP
All-in-One printer-scanner. Dell does not support Win 95 for the beast, but the
Intel Win 95 drivers work just fine... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:10:17 GMT, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>are you saying that the gx100 machine that you rebuilt with windows 98 is
>having this problem? did you download and install the chipset drivers?
>visit support.dell.com and enter the computer model to navigate to the
>download page where you can obtain all drivers for the given operating
>system, a bios update, and the hardware diagnostic program.
>
>"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working.
>> Will
>> try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and the
>> one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
>> Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
>> Andy
>> (glad that my new 4600 runs well!)
>>
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> run Dell diags. If it passes, change to a standard vga driver and try it
>>> again.
>>>
>>> "Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> few
>> is

that might be so but he was asking about a gx110 (810e chip set for both the
units that came with slotted and socketed processors).

> FYI, the GX100 uses either the Intel 440BX or an Intel 815 chipset,
> depending on
> vintage. The Intel web site also downloads for the chipset and graphics
> drivers
> (any recent Windows OS) which work just fine in any brand of computer
> with
> these chips inside.
>
> The Dell web site is one of the best for finding drivers for a system, as
> long
> as the OS for which drivers are needed is supported and recognized by
> Dell.
>
> I set up a GX100 with Windows 95 as an el cheapo print server for an HP
> All-in-One printer-scanner. Dell does not support Win 95 for the beast,
> but the
> Intel Win 95 drivers work just fine... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:10:17 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>are you saying that the gx100 machine that you rebuilt with windows 98 is
>>having this problem? did you download and install the chipset drivers?
>>visit support.dell.com and enter the computer model to navigate to the
>>download page where you can obtain all drivers for the given operating
>>system, a bios update, and the hardware diagnostic program.
>>
>>"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
>>> Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working.
>>> Will
>>> try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and
>>> the
>>> one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
>>> Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
>>> Andy
>>> (glad that my new 4600 runs well!)
>>>
>>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> few
>>> is

i see the cause for confusion... i typo'd and interjected confusion about
the model number... op said gx110 and that is what i was referring to. my
bad.

> FYI, the GX100 uses either the Intel 440BX or an Intel 815 chipset,
> depending on
> vintage. The Intel web site also downloads for the chipset and graphics
> drivers
> (any recent Windows OS) which work just fine in any brand of computer
> with
> these chips inside.
>
> The Dell web site is one of the best for finding drivers for a system, as
> long
> as the OS for which drivers are needed is supported and recognized by
> Dell.
>
> I set up a GX100 with Windows 95 as an el cheapo print server for an HP
> All-in-One printer-scanner. Dell does not support Win 95 for the beast,
> but the
> Intel Win 95 drivers work just fine... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:10:17 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>are you saying that the gx100 machine that you rebuilt with windows 98 is
>>having this problem? did you download and install the chipset drivers?
>>visit support.dell.com and enter the computer model to navigate to the
>>download page where you can obtain all drivers for the given operating
>>system, a bios update, and the hardware diagnostic program.
>>
>>"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message
>>> Tried Dell diags and could not get through it with the monitor working.
>>> Will
>>> try again and see what happens. BTW, both are now set up with 98SE and
>>> the
>>> one that was originally set up for this is the one that works fine.
>>> Internally, both appear identical. Thanks for the help!
>>> Andy
>>> (glad that my new 4600 runs well!)
>>>
>>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> few
>>> is

No problemo. What I stated about the 440BX and 815-series chipsets applies
equally to the 810-series... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:18:42 GMT, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>i see the cause for confusion... i typo'd and interjected confusion about
>the model number... op said gx110 and that is what i was referring to. my
>bad.

>> FYI, the GX100 uses either the Intel 440BX or an Intel 815 chipset,
>> depending on
>> vintage. The Intel web site also downloads for the chipset and graphics
>> drivers
>> (any recent Windows OS) which work just fine in any brand of computer
>> with
>> these chips inside.
>>
>> The Dell web site is one of the best for finding drivers for a system, as
>> long
>> as the OS for which drivers are needed is supported and recognized by
>> Dell.
>>
>> I set up a GX100 with Windows 95 as an el cheapo print server for an HP
>> All-in-One printer-scanner. Dell does not support Win 95 for the beast,
>> but the
>> Intel Win 95 drivers work just fine... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:10:17 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
>> <muto@worldnet.att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>are you saying that the gx100 machine that you rebuilt with windows 98 is
>>>having this problem? did you download and install the chipset drivers?
>>>visit support.dell.com and enter the computer model to navigate to the
>>>download page where you can obtain all drivers for the given operating
>>>system, a bios update, and the hardware diagnostic program.
>>>
>>>"Busman" <Busman@ev1.net> wrote in message

Went ahead and upgraded to Win2000Pro and reinstalled drivers and both now
work fine. Should be good to go (fingers crossed). Thanks for all the
help!!!
Andy