inspiron 8200 mystery power problem

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi all, thanks for any help.

My laptop does not boot up at all and does not even begin to go into
POST. Literally, nothing happens when I push the power button. No
sounds, no lights, no fans, nothing.

The only funny thing I have found is that the led light on the ac
adapter goes out when I pressed the power button on the laptop. Then
I would have to unplug the ac adapter and wait 5 minutes before
plugging the ac adapter back in for the green led light to come back
on. If I try to unplug and replug the ac adapter immediately the led
light would still not come back on. It is the stock dell ac adapter
that came with the laptop.

By now all of you are probably thinking like me that it is an ac
adapter problem. So, I went out to buy a brand new targus ac adapter
90w and made sure the back of the box supported the dell inspiron
8200. I plugged the ac adapter in, the led shows green, i plugged the
adapter to the laptop, pressed the power button, and the same thing
happens! The led goes out. And again no sounds, no lights, no fans,
no hard drive spinning, nothing. So, this rules out the ac adapter
being the problem and went back to comp USA to return the targus
adapter and get my $100 back.

Next I attempt to reseat everything. I even opened up the laptop and
reseated the cpu, keyboard, mouse connections, video card, and dc
power/charging board.
Still nothing.

The last thing I tried was to take out only the dc power/charging
board (dell p/n 6c464) and leave everything else intact. The weird
thing is that the laptop still won't boot up. I still get no sounds,
but the led on the ac adapter stays on.

So, I am wondering what does the dc charging board do exactly? And is
this problem to do with the charging board only or do I have a bad
motherboard? I would hate to have to buy a replacement charging board
to find out I have a bad motherboard and vice versa. Dell parts are
$$$ and my laptop is out of warranty. Thanks again.

Steve

LOL You really have no idea about servicing laptops... heh? It wasn't
about your AC adaptor. To bad you didn't ask before run out and buy another
one.
You NEED the DC power brd in there! If it's shorted out you need another
one... But now you tried to power up without it so you may very likely need
a motherboard too. FYI the dell motherboard replacement kit comes with this
powerboard.

good luck... u gonna need it

"Steve" <steak_n_egggs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, thanks for any help.
>
> My laptop does not boot up at all and does not even begin to go into
> POST. Literally, nothing happens when I push the power button. No
> sounds, no lights, no fans, nothing.
>
> The only funny thing I have found is that the led light on the ac
> adapter goes out when I pressed the power button on the laptop. Then
> I would have to unplug the ac adapter and wait 5 minutes before
> plugging the ac adapter back in for the green led light to come back
> on. If I try to unplug and replug the ac adapter immediately the led
> light would still not come back on. It is the stock dell ac adapter
> that came with the laptop.
>
> By now all of you are probably thinking like me that it is an ac
> adapter problem. So, I went out to buy a brand new targus ac adapter
> 90w and made sure the back of the box supported the dell inspiron
> 8200. I plugged the ac adapter in, the led shows green, i plugged the
> adapter to the laptop, pressed the power button, and the same thing
> happens! The led goes out. And again no sounds, no lights, no fans,
> no hard drive spinning, nothing. So, this rules out the ac adapter
> being the problem and went back to comp USA to return the targus
> adapter and get my $100 back.
>
> Next I attempt to reseat everything. I even opened up the laptop and
> reseated the cpu, keyboard, mouse connections, video card, and dc
> power/charging board.
> Still nothing.
>
> The last thing I tried was to take out only the dc power/charging
> board (dell p/n 6c464) and leave everything else intact. The weird
> thing is that the laptop still won't boot up. I still get no sounds,
> but the led on the ac adapter stays on.
>
> So, I am wondering what does the dc charging board do exactly? And is
> this problem to do with the charging board only or do I have a bad
> motherboard? I would hate to have to buy a replacement charging board
> to find out I have a bad motherboard and vice versa. Dell parts are
> $$$ and my laptop is out of warranty. Thanks again.
>
> Steve

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You need a new systemboard if you dont want to repair down to
componant/secondry level