Adieu AMD, hello Intel??

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
The t-bred has turned out to be a huge dissapointment to me and in my eyes it's pretty much a failure and only shows that AMD's technology is running out of steam. My question now is what to do about the new system i am building. I was considering putting in a tbred but now i wouldn't even waste an extra $40 on it consideing lostcircuits has said that even the 2100+ overclocks better, in fact head over to icrontic.com and you'll see links to numerous reviews and in every single one of them it is stated that the t-bred sucks at overclocking.

for the very first time i'm starting to see Intel as a better choice as it's really starting to leave AMD in the dust. The only thing that AMD has over intel right now is the price. But does it even have that?? I'm willing to spend no more than $300 on a processor, but i really know nothing about intel processors as i've been an AMD fan for quite some time. So my question is does the best from Intel at that price compare to the athlon xp 2100+?? and if so what processor is it? Today is a dark day for AMD fans, they have slowly begun to lose one, but i will reserve that judgement until the clawhammer is released.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
yeah AMD are definately on the ropes at the moment, but all in all it's swings and roundabouts as we'd say, Intel were in trouble with the P3 1.13 Ghz and the early P4's compaired to the Thunderbird.

The T-Bred (based on the THG article) looks pretty disappointing, particulary from a heat dissapation stand point. I thought it would be identical performance with much cooler temps, instead it looks similar to the palomino in most ways!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
the Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHZ 512k S478 - RETAIL BOX W/FAN (Northwood) 533BUS cost around 600 some $ US

the Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ 512k S478 - RETAIL BOX W/FAN (Northwood)
cost about half of that

all the others are lower priced according to speed, just shop around and see what you need/want/got money for and then decide

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Get a P4-2.26 processor, i got mine for $258 and you can OC' it and have better value than spending for a 2.4+ CPU.

i think AMD is counting on Hammer. I think thats a poor strategic move on AMD's part because the time frame from now until hammer is released AMD is gonna lose market share. They should have released the tbred a few months ago and released the barton this month.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
have you been under a rock, go read some of the reviews, the processor is a joke, the 2100+ overclocks better than the tbred.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
They have allready lose market share

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Unless they pull some miracle process out of their collective butts, the T-bred wont get much more speed. I mean Palamino was jumping in 66mhz increments. That right there tells me the core is at its end. IIRC the athlon debuted around 800 mhz. To go from 800 to 1.8 is a reasonable lifetime for a core.
Lets make some assumptions. Lets assume Hammer is reasonably successful. One day the p4 core will run out of steam, I wonder if Intel will be in a similar position since Hammer will be very mature when the P4 dies. Point is, If Hammer is a good chip.. then AMD isnt in trouble at all. Their just between cores. Also, keep in mind that most new cores have a very rocky beginning. I hope by Hammer time, T-bred has taught AMD some lessons.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Yes .. it's a see-saw battle. We'll see the same thing next year with intel assuming hammer does well. When i say "well" i mean quality also not just it being fast.

Intel has the muscle and the power to keep up with AMD however. It's not the same the other way around.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Siddhartha

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I can not plug into the end of the world histrionics people are expressing about Tbred's overclocking capabilities. The reality is most people do not overclock or even know what it is.

The reasons one would choose Intel or AMD have not changed:
1. If you are not going to overclock go with AMD if you do intend to overclock get Intel.

2. You probably will save money if you go with AMD compared to an Intel based system.

3. Intel has the wider known brand name.

"Just the facts ma'am"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Siddhartha on 06/11/02 01:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
WOW good reply
Time scale on 5 to 10 year
P6 have live around 7 year on the top
P7 will sure make 5 year Intel say scale sure to 10 GHZ.
K6 get vs P6 (strong win intel
K7 get vs P6 (hard for intel)
K7 get vs P7 ( after a slow start it as we see now)
K8 get vs P7 ( pretty hard to say i wonder what intel will cut on prescott They will add around 43 million transitor )
K9 get vs P7 (that will where it will be hard for intel
And alpha father work now for AMD so maybe so tech of mighty EV8)
K9 get vs P8

Intel use more scable architecture compare to AMD, i like to point out that is not from a lack of tech but a market position of number 2.Also AMD lack of long terms developement SOI vs DTK Turboboost P6 like

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Best bang for your buck P4 system is from a 1.6a.
I have a 1.6a @ 2.4 GHz on an IT7 with 512 megs of Samsung True PC2700 running DDR400. Excelent performance, good price.

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile: