Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
Hi,
I'd like to buy a new processor, and I chose the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU. The problem is that I heard that the Athlon XP processors suffer a severe heat problem, which damages the processor. My computer case is a Cheiftec Tower with 3 fans, and I'm planning to get a good strong HSF with the CPU, should that keep the CPU temperature at a good level?
I know that the Intel processors don't suffer over-heating problems, and I'm not sure whether I should just go for an Intel P4 Northwood CPU, instead of the Athlon XP, if that keeps over-heating away, and make the CPU live longer.
Can I have anyone's advice on this?
Thanks in advance.

eden

Champion
Oh baloney, Willamettes powered an entire neighborhood with their heat and power!

If you won't overclock, the XP1800+ is both much cheaper in $, AND is much more performing.

If you overclock, grab some RDRAM, and the 1.6A is your friend.

You get bang for your buck either way, depending how.

--
Meow

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had an Athlon XP 1800+ and was curious if I should purchase a 1.6a and OC till no tomorrow, and almost everyone told me to keep the Athlon chip. Well I wanted to dabble in super overclock land so I got the P4. After the hiccup of a bad mobo I am now VERY hapily chugging along at 2.4 GHz with DDR400 memory on my Abit IT7.
Now I must say YMMV (Your mileage may vary) not everyones 1.6a will OC to 2.4 GHz Plus, but most will get very close, and with stock cooling.
If you don't plan to OC then get an 1800+ for sure. An 1800+ should be fine with the retail HSF and one case fan as long as you don't overclock, so with 3 fans, and a better than stock setup you will have no worries. Just make sure you apply the HSF correctly, and with the correct thermal paste.
I personally would go for the 1.6a and some fun overclocking. Almost all the parts you would need can be had from one site, www.newegg.com and their 1.6a CPUs and Samsung PC2700 are almost always able to reach 2.4 GHz and DDR400 on the right motherboard.

Gosh I'm such a nerd sometimes, but then again arn't we all. :smile:

Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
Sorry for digging this thread up :)
I'd like to ask for another advice if I may..
Until very recently, I've been up to buying the AMD AXP, but lately, I've been reading just too many articles and forum threads that say the AXP's heating problem is just too serious. I wouldn't want my new CPU to run at 50-60 degrees celcius, even if everyone says it's okay for an AMD.
Guess I'm just too used to the low temperature my current P3 provides...
To the point :) ; I'm now seriously considering a P4 based system, and it'll probably be a 1.6A. My current problem is the mobo; I planned on a Gigabyte mobo at first, but I heard it's a bad overclocker, so now I'm asking for your advice. I've also been recommanded of the Epox BDA4 and the ABIT BD7 as good overclockers. What's your opinion on those?
I'd like the mobo to not exceed the 100$-120$ range, but that's somewhat flexable.
I'm also planning to use DDR PC2700 memories in that system, so I guess the mobo has to support those too.
I chose those as I heard they're good for overclocking, and will be suffice on a P4 system, rather than RDR memory. I'd be thankful to know if you think otherwise.
Thanks in advance.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Athlons only have overheating problems if you're an idiot.
(I'm fighting the urge to make a joke about a planetfull of idiots)

Anyhow, go with RDRAM. Get some Samsung PC800 and an Abit TH7II, you'll get 2.4 easily.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Until very recently, I've been up to buying the AMD AXP, but lately, I've been reading just too many articles and forum threads that say the AXP's heating problem is just too serious. I wouldn't want my new CPU to run at 50-60 degrees celcius, even if everyone says it's okay for an AMD.

Please, please dont take this the wrong way.

But shutup, running at 50C is not a problem at all, its in the specification, and believing amd has some kind of heating problem based on your vague desire not to be@60C is retarded.

I have to call this one as I see it, and I apologize for being so blunt.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yeah, I am sorry about the outburst, but 3 threads from people with the STUPID NOTION, that 50C is evil, and one from a guy who dosent trust the stock hsf on a chip, why the [-peep-] do you think they would sell them together if it didnt work>??>?>?<>?<?:<?>

ARGH, the level of FUD and stupidity in the cpu world is trying my patience.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
That's right, towelie! Shut up! Towelie Banned!
(there, for all you southpark fans...and you towelie)

I sold my sig for $50.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
while the p4 does run a bit hotter than their p3 cousins, i still beleive that p4's run cooler than amd's.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
Just like I mentioned, I wouldn't want my CPU to run at 60 degrees, EVEN IF EVERYONE SAYS IT'S OKAY. Sorry, I just don't. I know 4 people from work, all with Northwoods, and their CPU temp never exceeds the 40 degrees. Perhaps it's a miracle, perhaps not, I just know that in the last week, I've read about 30 threads of people saying "My AXP's running at 60 degrees at rest", and I also saw only one of the like regarding the Intel. Either way, I guess I made my decision. I'm not going to get into a flaming war with anybody, I just came to ask for your advice, and I appreciate the help of those who helped me.
Again, I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm almost certain I'll go for the NW 1.6A, and an Abit mobo with DDR memory. So feel free to flame this thread now, as I won't be checking it anymore.
Thanks for your time.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
some people have their P4's running hotter than AMD systems.

not that it matters.
well it might matter as a cooler running processor will last longer on average... but the difference is so minute you would have upgraded 3 times and be at 5Ghz before it would happen.

temperature is such an imprecise measurement. dependent on so many variables, room temp, case cooling, heatsink design & efficiency, heat spreader behavior, thermal grease used.

the accurate thing to measure is thermal output... and thats hard when intel doesnt specify what the maximum thermal output of their processors is. AMD does, but im not sure how accurate such values are anyway

<font color=green>Hamsters</font color=green> <font color=red>don't</font color=red> <font color=green>play</font color=green> <font color=red>Soccer.</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Sigh...I hate stupid threads like this where people ask for advice and then learn absolutely nothing from them.

Get the P4 if you're going to overclock. Get the Athlon if you're not. The heating issue only pertains to idiots. As long as you build the machine correctly it won't overheat.

<font color=red>I should note that as long as you're going with the P4 you shouldn't use DDR memory. At least try to build the machine correctly. At least try to come away from this thread and forum with a bit more knowledge, even if it's selective.</font color=red>

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
"I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help. "

Get a bigger sledge hammer......, also try this, computers love icecream. So the more icecream you scoop into your computer the better.

MeldarthX

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
i hope this helps you get that stupid idea that all AMDs run at 60 deg. i have an axp1800+ currently at 1900+. idle temps are 37deg! and full load NEVER exceeds 45deg. now i have only the hsf and 1 case fan so you see axp dont need extreme cooling. it doesnt need loads of fans.it doesnt get incredibly hot AND IT DOESNT RUN SO HOT IT DAMAGES ITSELF YOU MORON!

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Just like I mentioned, I wouldn't want my CPU to run at 60 degrees, EVEN IF EVERYONE SAYS IT'S OKAY. Sorry, I just don't.

And again I will tell you thats retarded towlie, cpus dont all run the same temp and 60c is far below danger temp(btw most amds run around 50c), dont compare it to your friends northwoods and stop worrying about it.

If you let that unfounded baseless fear guide you then you are a sheep, and you have no understanding of how cpus work or the mechanics of said cpu, so go ahead and fret and spend more cause you dont want a 50C cpu, because your just wasting your own money.

Dont buy the fud, dont worry about 50c, you know how hot a car engine gets, you dont want to buy a car cause the engine gets so hot, cpus were DESIGNED to run that hot, you are making no sense in your fear.

"My AXP's running at 60 degrees at rest", and I also saw only one of the like regarding the Intel

And you know what, NOT ONE OF THEM WERE HAVING LOCKUPS, like you they were worried WITH NO CAUSE!!!

Again, I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm almost certain I'll go for the NW 1.6A, and an Abit mobo with DDR memory. So feel free to flame this thread now, as I won't be checking it anymore.

Thats a good choice, but you are buying it for a stupid reason, I bet you dont even overclock.

PS: this wasnt a flame, this was an attempt to remove the fud bullshit you believe.