Final System Configuration, please critique

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
please let me know what you think of the following configuration

MAXTOP CSX-147K2F-GF-USB-GRAY **Cool Case** (out of stock)
PLEXTOR PX-W4012TA/SW 40x12x40 CD-RW - RETAIL
TOSHIBA INTERNAL DVD ROM, 16X DVD, 48X CD ROM.
Teac 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE
EPOX 8K3A+ KT333CE DDR333 266MHz FSB ATA133 RAID Socket A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL
ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FC). 431W Power
AMD ATHLON XP 2100+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL BOX
VGA LEADTEK|GF4 TI4600 128M DVI/TV RETAIL BOX.
Corsair CMX512-3000C2 512MB PC3000 370MHz 64Mx64 184 DIMM Unbuffered Cas2 Memory w/Heat Spreader
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical 3.0
Linksys EtherFast Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card — LNE100TX
Swiftech MCX-462 Heatsink

What i am debating right now is the video card, RAM, and case. I was thinking maybe MSI, but i'm not sure, and as for the ram, maybe crucial sine i probably won't overclock right away. The case i have listed is sold out unfortunately so i was thinking of getting a chieftech tower or something like that.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I assume you'll be overclocking, due to the Swifty and PC3000. I'd recommend a lower processor that will save you some cash and have the same headroom. Also, grab Samsung PC2700, it overclocks better than Corsair. While we're on the subject, you can get a Ti4200 for just over half the price, and overclock it to Ti4600 levels.
I'd also throw out the Live and get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Much better card.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I think it looks pretty good, but definetely get a different sound card. You also might want to look at the samsung ram like FB says. I think you would be ok with the ti4600 unless you won't use any of the extra features. Then it would be better to go with a 4200 or 4400.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
this computer is actually for my parents. I really don't intend to overclock until software requires me to do so. So there's no sense in downgrading the processor and the RAM with the intent of overclocking, i just want to get them the best on the market right now so that it will last them a while. Everyone keeps saying that corsair falls behind but how come reviewers have said it does in fact overclock to what it states. Which do you think will run better at stock 166 mhz fsb?? corsair, crucial, or samsung. I'm not to familiar with samsung but i have crucial ram in my computer and it's very stable, some people tend to be steering me away from the corsair while others tell me to get it, over at sharkyextreme they have pc3000 ram in their high end buyers guide. Keep in mind i probably won't overclock anytime soon, it's not my priority, just to have a good stable system with the potential to overclock if needed. As for the video card i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get a ti4600, but the question is which one, i was looking at leadtek and MSI, i have a leadtek card now and it runs great, but some people are tending to lean towards the MSI card. What do you guys think?