simactive

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
hey,
I was just reading about the new Xp 2200+. i was woundering if any one of you people had any comments on this new cpu.Is it a good one to buy? Wh

\\\//3// 7//3 31337 (0///3 |=0|2 J0/\ 83 |234|)j!!!1

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well it's the fastest AMD processor today....it performs like a palomino, i'm not a OC-er but apparantly it doesn't OC as well as expected

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, if you wanted a processor that generally performs on par with a P4 2.2 but want to spend less and aren't into overclocking then it might be good for you.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Yep, but if you want to overclock take the P4. But also, socket A platform has it's days counted, so if you are also worried about CPU upgradability, take P4.

So sorry to say this, even I'm pro-AMD, but the reality is what it is.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Socket A's days are numbered for AMD's high end processors, but Barton will run on Socket A.

Yeeup. I'm aware of the reality now. Notice how many qualifiers I had to put in there to recomend a T-bred.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
mind you Socket A has lasted a long time compaired to other formats, so thats quite a good thing

why do sockets need changing? is there a theoretical maximum amount of power that for instance socket A can take?? there must be a reason that Hammer will take a different socket

FatBurger

Illustrious
The socket has lasted a long time, but motherboard compatability has not. The motherboard I bought was impcompatible with current Athlons in 6 months.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The socket has lasted a long time, but motherboard compatability has not. The motherboard I bought was impcompatible with current Athlons in 6 months.

Sorry to say, but only motherboards which did not follow amds specifications for socket a when the tbird came out were rendered incompatable with the axp, the socket a format has undergone no specification changes since the tbird.

This by the way is what I read months ago when the axp was released, I am not 100% on it.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I like to plug a socket a few times before moving onto the next one. I dunno why Hammer will take a different socket. If its for the same reason why I change sockets, its because you just get tired of plugging the same old socket. New, more modern sockets are always better to plug imo.

I sold my sig for $50.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
"so if you are also worried about CPU upgradability, take P4"

LOL, ever time Intel releases an upgrade for the stupid P4, you need to get a new motherboard. It's not like they decided to keep Socket423 from the original P4 Willamette. Hell, if they go for dual channel DDR, you never know, they might up the FSB to 166 to match it with dual PC-2700 DDR...i'm probably wrong, but knowing Intel, they change sockets/slots much more often than AMD...and no, SocketA isn't numbered yet, we don't know until we see what happens with the Hammer. It may be kept as a low cost solution to 32-bit platforms, as well as seeing advancement beyond the Barton.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
"so if you are also worried about CPU upgradability, take P4"

LOL, every time Intel releases an upgrade for the stupid P4, you need to get a new motherboard. It's not like they decided to keep Socket423 from the original P4 Willamette. Hell, if they go for dual channel DDR, you never know, they might up the FSB to 166 to match it with dual PC-2700 DDR...i'm probably wrong, but knowing Intel, they change sockets/slots much more often than AMD...and no, SocketA isn't numbered yet, we don't know until we see what happens with the Hammer. It may be kept as a low cost solution to 32-bit platforms, as well as seeing advancement beyond the Barton.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i think intel has finally learnt something... at least with desktops.

with the celleron going to the p4 willie design all intels desktop Cpu's will be using the same 478 socket. for how long though who knows.

shame though that the Xeons dont.

<font color=green>Hamsters</font color=green> <font color=red>don't</font color=red> <font color=green>play</font color=green> <font color=red>Soccer.</font color=red>

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The question about Hammer needing a new socket (socket 768 or something i think) is just the sheer amount of signals needed to be routed off the processor.. remember this CPU has an on-chip memory hub of sorts so apart from the normal signals there is memory direct interface (no North Bridge), but hten they probably would still need to route all signals to the South Bridge, plus AGP (does AGP some off the north bridge).

So anyway, the point is, if you can figure a way to fit all those signals into the 462 pins of Socket A I <b>KNOW</b> that AMD would wanna know about it.

Matt

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed. have to deal with a direct CPU to mem interface.

<font color=green>Hamsters</font color=green> <font color=red>don't</font color=red> <font color=green>play</font color=green> <font color=red>Soccer.</font color=red>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Were you killed in mid word or something? Should we call an ambulance?
That´s impossible, if he were killed who pressed the reply button?
Hmm, maybe someone tried to strangle him, he paniced and started to flail wildly with his arms and accidently pressed the reply button.

beats me.

This is my new <font color=blue>Updated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Eatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> Fresh </font color=red> sig.

jtsang

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002
i'd rather buy a cheap duron and wait til the barton comes out. if u find that too much work, just grab an XP1800+ and i am sure it'll last u another couple years.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
With his last breath, only one action left to him...he hit SEND. Determination...RIP my CPU inquisitive friend, may you find your answers in the Great Forum in the Sky.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

simactive

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
So the overclockablitly wouldn't be as good as expected? What is the new socet they are coming out with? What is the world coming to? Damn street thugs

\\\//3// 7//3 31337 (0///3 |=0|2 J0/\ 83 |234|)j!!!1

richuncle

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
When should we expect that 2200+ to be available on websites? I usually just order from newegg and they don't seem to have it in yet. thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>Matisaro says:</i>
only motherboards which did not follow amds specifications for socket a when the tbird came out were rendered incompatable with the axp

If I remember right, it was a voltage regulation issue. Abit does not skimp on their boards, especially power issues. I'm perfectly happy to pin that on AMD for not giving good guidelines, unless you can prove otherwise.

<i>lhgpoobaa says:</i>
for how long though who knows.

Prescott is supposed to be socket 478, but that could easily change in the next several months.

<i>lhgpoobaa says:</i>
shame though that the Xeons dont.

The only thing that's really different about Xeons is the socket (and more cache). Intel did this on purpose so they could have a higher margin SMP platform.

<i>paulmartin says:</i>
yes, but not still. because there is the cpu motherboard COP feature for the thoroughbred (thermal protection).

COP was designed by Asus independantly of AMD, and would work on a Thunderbird even, just not as accurately.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i know it's all rumour right now, but....

when is prescott supposed to come out?

will it be 0.09 micron?

can you give me a link to the intel roadmap

cheers

Argentina, you are the weakest link, goodbye!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Q2-Q3 03, though there are rumors that it will be pushed to Q1-Q2. We'll see.

Yes, it is .09 micron.

<A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&querytime=Fx2WjB&q=intel+roadmap" target="_new">Intel roadmap</A>