Opinions on "Ultimate Classes"?

Quick disclaimer: I am not Szatany. I've never even spoken to Szatany.
I don't know anything about him.

Some of you may know about Szatany's Ultimate Classes (Ultimate
Fighter, Ultimate Wizard, etc). They're an attempt at making the core
classes both more _balanced_, and more _interesting_. I happen to be a
great fan of Szatany's work, and I think they're worth checking out.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=2798657&postcount=2
(scroll down to Szatany).

Thoughts?

Laszlo

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

> Quick disclaimer: I am not Szatany. I've never even spoken to Szatany.
> I don't know anything about him.
>
> Some of you may know about Szatany's Ultimate Classes (Ultimate
> Fighter, Ultimate Wizard, etc). They're an attempt at making the core
> classes both more _balanced_, and more _interesting_. I happen to be a
> great fan of Szatany's work, and I think they're worth checking out.
>
> http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=2798657&postcount=2
> (scroll down to Szatany).
>
> Thoughts?

I can see why you're a fan. I don't know about balance and other nitty
details, but the ideas are rich.

Excellent work, Szatany ... I mean Laszlo!

Spinner

KAOS

On 29 Jun 2005 06:57:16 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
in front of ME:

>Quick disclaimer: I am not Szatany. I've never even spoken to Szatany.
>I don't know anything about him.
>
>Some of you may know about Szatany's Ultimate Classes (Ultimate
>Fighter, Ultimate Wizard, etc). They're an attempt at making the core
>classes both more _balanced_, and more _interesting_. I happen to be a
>great fan of Szatany's work, and I think they're worth checking out.
>
>http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=2798657&postcount=2
>(scroll down to Szatany).
>
>Thoughts?

<blatant ad hominem>
If he's got your support, then he must be an idiot.
</blatant ad hominem>

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

In article <1120053436.520116.10180@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

> Quick disclaimer: I am not Szatany. I've never even spoken to Szatany.
> I don't know anything about him.
>
> Some of you may know about Szatany's Ultimate Classes (Ultimate
> Fighter, Ultimate Wizard, etc). They're an attempt at making the core
> classes both more _balanced_, and more _interesting_. I happen to be a
> great fan of Szatany's work, and I think they're worth checking out.
>
> http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=2798657&postcount=2
> (scroll down to Szatany).
>
> Thoughts?

My two complaints are:

His classes seem to refer to each other often, making it difficult to
just adopt one for your campaign. For example, an ultimate bard can pick
an ability called Secrets of rogues: "He chooses one roguish path and
gains 1st ability of that path." Now you have to look at the ultimate
rogue to see what that means exactly...

The other "complaint" is that there's too many options. Which seems to
be the idea behind Szatany's work, and which isn't really a bad thing,
hence the quote marks, but the sheer amount of information can be a
little overwhelming, especially if you're just trying to get the one
class you like approved by the DM. I know at least a few that would just
say "Ultimate cleric? D00d, it's a cleric, just play a PHB cleric, don't
make me read all this."

However, overall it seems like very good work, and astonishingly lot of
it. If someone ran a campaign using ultimate classes instead of PHB
classes, I'd play, no problem.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr