cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry about another temperature related question. My case temp has gone up from the mid twenties to 34C with the increase in room temp, since its summer here. With this increase in temp I've noticed my computer stalling and sometimes locking up (no BSOD though). My XP1600+ is only at 45C under load so I don't think it is the problem. Could this change in case temp cause the problem I'm having (i.e. is this temp much different from that of other stably running systems).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep
quite possible.

in my experience ive found that the case temp's vary pretty much linearly with room temp. the cpu temp also varies in a linear fashion... but generally not 1 to 1, depending on the ability of your heatsink.

e.g. if room =18, case = 24 then when the room reaches 30 i can be pretty confident to expect a case temp of 42.

to work out whats cauzing lockups try running a few programs.

toast! for the cpu.
some 3d intensive but cpu non intensive task for the graphics card.

my first dibs would be on the Graphics card overheating.
what does it do precisely? just freeze? any display corruption?
can u do some tasks but not others?

<font color=green>Hamsters</font color=green> <font color=red>don't</font color=red> <font color=green>play</font color=green> <font color=red>Soccer.</font color=red>

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Under normal apps or even without anything open the movement of the pointer begins to slow down, become disjointed, and then freezes almost entirely. At this point, scrolling the mouse very quickly can get the pointer to move grudgingly but neither of the buttons works (yep, I have tried using a different mouse and different drivers to no avail). Keyboard commands won't work except that I can pull up task manager (in fact this is the only thing I can do though I can't do anything with it). In games, everything freezes (again w/o BSOD) and I have to reboot.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm
open up your case.

use some strong directed fan to blow on various components. see if u can source the problem.

highly unlikely its your cpu.
cpu freezes are quick hard and perminant. (untill u reboot)

<font color=green>Hamsters</font color=green> <font color=red>don't</font color=red> <font color=green>play</font color=green> <font color=red>Soccer.</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Just another thought, but have you defragged and taken care of regular hard drive maintenance?

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>