Acer Iconia 484G64NS I5-480

Tags:
  • Acer
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel i5
  • Laptops
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
September 10, 2011 11:47:00 AM

Hi, I have a question. Do you think there is a way to upgrade graphic card on this machine? Because I really like it, but sometimes, I might need something to render images faster :)  if you know what i mean.

I am asking since it have a really easy accessible hardware.

And what do you think, is it worth €849,99?

And about the battery. How hard would it be to get something stronger? Thanks.

links:
http://ww.tipidgadget.com/2011/03/acer-iconia-484g64ns-...

http://www.bigbang.si/racunalnistvo/racunalniki/prenosn... (this is the actual website from which I might buy it. It is in Slovenian language, but you might use translator to translate it)

More about : acer iconia 484g64ns 480

September 10, 2011 12:33:04 PM

i think it's usually difficult to upgrade the graphic card of a laptop

usually, you can upgrade RAM, HDD and probably battery (with larger capacity battery)
September 10, 2011 1:23:47 PM

Hyea, I know it wouldn't be easy. :D 
But I want to know if it would be possible. :)  Or at least external graphic card?

And thanks for your fast reply. I am glad I will be able to get better battery. :) 
Related resources
September 10, 2011 11:03:36 PM

This is the actual description (from acer site):
http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/model/LX.RF702....

So, hyea ... I hope anyone will read this and will help me out ... So. I have been googling around a bit and I came out with external graphic card. A long time ago, I read that you can add a desktop graphic card (external connection) to improve your laptop graphic, even for the build in monitors, but today I was not able to. The only thing I found is:
http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=V...

Do you think there is any way to improve laptops overall graphic even for build in monitors? Or is this (external monitor too) the only solution?

Any advice is welcome.
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2011 4:02:32 AM

An external monitor would be better as putting the signal back could be troublesome as the connections is already a huge bottleneck. Plus extra decoding, encoding will increase the latency and decrease the performance. There is quite a big performance decrease as the connection used has nowhere near enough bandwidth for gaming. Though they did say they are working on a thunderbolt vidock which will at least be a step up from the expresscard.

A normal desktop graphics card goes in the pcie 2.0 x16 which is 64Gb/s, expresscard is 2.5Gb/s, thunderbolt is 10Gb/s. That's gigabits per second and while most graphic cards don't fully saturate pcie, it will with these other connections. Not to mention the price of a vidock is way too much, you'd be better off buying a desktop.

It doesn't even look like you have an expresscard to use a vidock anyways. So would have to do a DIY setup into the mpcie.
September 11, 2011 7:36:19 AM

k1114 said:
Not to mention the price of a vidock is way too much, you'd be better off buying a desktop.

It doesn't even look like you have an expresscard to use a vidock anyways. So would have to do a DIY setup into the mpcie.

I always prefer DIY things. :) 
I mostly wanted to know a PROs opinion. So, you think it is not worth it? (i have a desktop already. I only really wish to have a laptop, too. And since it will have Intel HD graphics only, I am thinking about "upgrading" it. Someone here said that this is nearly impossible, so I am only thinking about other options.
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2011 3:48:51 PM

Most laptops can't be upgraded as the different models have custom boards. And since you're buying new, there are better laptops at that price with a better graphics card which would be much easier than a diy external setup. And I suppose if the graphic card were to already come with the laptop it would be cheaper too. I would also recommend getting a laptop with the new i5 not the old one.
September 11, 2011 4:02:20 PM

Hyea....I know. But I fall in love with dual touch-screen. (it have 10 touch dots each :D  ). And I love tinkering. xD

Anyway, I just came across this post:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...

If I read it properly, there is even a way to use external graphic card on build in monitors. =P

And every laptop have a PCI slot. If it is not expresscard, it is where Wi-Fi is placed. And I already have a USB Wi-Fi card for my desktop, so no problem in that. Besides, Acer Iconia have a really simple to remove the back plate to get to inner hardware, so I could easily take it down and put it up again. Perhaps there is even available ?splitter?

I still haven't checked how would it go with USB 3.0 (which this laptop has). And where I live, better laptops for that price BARELY exist. Of course you might get i7 laptop for just a little more, but I paid €250 for 2 touch dots 21,5" desktop PC touch screen, which is not even LED. So I think 2 touchscreens with 10 touch dots each AND with LED luminosity is worth almost all of the money (i don't know how is outside of my country, :S , but at my place I believe it is). Still, I am only taking my options. I will consider your advice, too. But since I am planning on upgrading my desktop PCs graphics card (GTX 275) with something better (GTX 560 or better), I might easily use my old one (GTX 275) as external for laptop. I will have to buy better PSU anyway, so there is no problem with that either. A few more bucks for those few more things needed is not much too ($55 - $100).

I have one more question too. Do you (or anyone) think that there is a way to transfer data between laptop and external graphic card over Wi-Fi ? (perhaps if it is a external PC? ... just thinking. xD)
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2011 4:16:01 PM

Yes I know there is a way to use the built in monitor and that every laptop has a mpcie as I said in my first post. You'll need the PE4H-PM3N package, a psu, and a gpu, probably nvidia so you can use optimus to use the internal monitor.

If you are really stuck on that laptop and have the money for a diy vidock, I won't stop you.

There are wifi audio/video like ones used for htpcs to tvs so that would be possible.
September 11, 2011 5:12:24 PM

as i said. I will probably upgrade graphic card of my current desktop, which is nVidia GTX 275 with probably GTX 560 or higher (yea, i am nVidia freak and I am thinking about Asus MARS 2 - better GTX590 version). eGPU (the link i post in my previous post) is only 55$ to 100$. Which is not much, i guess (specially if you are PC freak like me).

And where should I look for that PE4H-PM3N package (i know about hwtools.net)? (I want to know exactly how much would it cost me to go with all this, before I order anything. So I will have time to change my mind in case it raises too high. ^_^ (Do you think I could get/make it wireless - without wires going outside from the backplate? Any ideas?).

Do you think there is any unused pci slot in this laptop, beside the Wi-Fi one? Or a splitter? Could it work faster through USB 3.0? What about using both simultaniusly? I am thinking because PE4H have 4 outputs ... Sorry for asking that many questions. :S I just feel more sure about everything if someone more experienced tell me some more ...

I can figure out which connector is used here. Do you think it is expresscard slot? Because I don't ... or maybe it is ... But still ... just to be sure. :) 
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/1199/mafiaiiint.jpg
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2011 8:06:54 PM

You edited the post after I posted. The 275 will be fine. EGPU is external gpu, aka the desktop gpu. I don't know of a splitter but since you do have usb 3, that would be better imo. USB 3 is 5Gb/s, expresscard is 2.5Gb/s. Unfortunately I have no experience or knowledge of egpus through usb 3. Maybe post on that forum since they know much more about this.

That pic is using expresscard.

There are a number of wireless tv tuners as well as some external ones that will hook up to a video output. Sorry but again I don't know about this, post in the tv tuner card section of this forum.
September 11, 2011 8:22:27 PM

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I will came over again, if I will have any more questions. :) 
Thanks, again.

(i always refresh the page. If there is no new post, I select quick edit. Since there were none, I edited. And looks like you were just typing yours post while I have been editing mine. Sorry, to get this happened.)
October 12, 2011 2:01:26 AM

did you ever come up with a solution to this?
If you are still on the fence about the iconia, I will tell you when it works correctly its great.. but mine at least has been a but a flaky. After several rounds of sending it to acer they finaly told me they could not validate the third party memory (8 gig corsair) I had installed and they gave me another 4 gigs of the junk they put in these to start with.. so I would be leary about even slight upgrades. I got it back and the within a few hours the problem started again - I noticed it happened only when plugged onto the wall and using the filter seems to cut back a greeat deal on the issues (irradic bahvior with the touch screens). I have an SSD drive coming in and if everything else works 0k I would like boost the graphics on the graphics - please post any results you have obtained.
Thanks,
John
November 5, 2011 7:56:43 PM

Demel, Računalniki, Prenosniki, Netbooki, Tableti, Monitorji, Strežniki, Diski, Zunanji diski, SSD diski, Programska oprema, Tiskalniki,Televizorji, Tonerji,

http://www.demel.si
!